RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Some Pictures From a ride on Amtrak Dome Car

Author Topic: Some Pictures From a ride on Amtrak Dome Car
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the last Trainweb travel meet I rode with them on Amtrak's DomeCar

I took picture, no TripReport

..::Click Here::..

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice pictures Jonathon! That's the first time I've seen pictures of the lower level area and the stairs. I've seen upper level pictures before, but never the lower level shots. I almost didn't recognize Chris in your picture---major haircut and new glasses?? [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange as this may sound, there is actually still some interior resemblance to the car when I first encountered such (or a "sister") aboard the Empire Builder during June 1963 (I was 22 at the time).
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the heritage of this car? Judging from Mr. Norman's post I would say Great Northern?

I've had the pleasure of riding (a number of times) the former Milwaukee Great Dome when it was being used by the NCDOT on the Piedmont. It has since been sold to the Friends of the 261 folks and operates on excursions out of the Twin Cities.....in it's original Milwaukee Road colors.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume this is one of the three that ran regularly on the Amtrak Auto Train back when it operated with heritage equipment.

I think the NCDOT car is one of those as well.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Domes and Superdomes I've ridden in:

UP Dome
CNW Super Dome (reportedly heaviest ever)
Santa Fe Super dome #50

All on the same day: October 14, 1990

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice! I recall riding in a dome car about 10 yrs ago when there were still a handful of single level trainsets on the Surfliner. I kind of miss the old Amfleet/Horizon Fleet train sets. Those sets did occasionally come with a dome car. A Sightseer lounge car got you a good side view, but dome cars provide a front facing vista that really gives you a top down view of the rest of the train.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MDRR:
I assume this is one of the three that ran regularly on the Amtrak Auto Train back when it operated with heritage equipment.

I think the NCDOT car is one of those as well.

Not certain but maybe. I was under the impression that the NCDOT dome came from the C&NW's Business Car fleet. It was originally a CMStP&P car.

NCDOT no longer has their dome. There was a problem with getting it FRA compliant and rather than keep sinking money into it, they sold the car to the Friends of the 261 group. It lives in Minnesota now and has been returned to it's Milwaukee Road color scheme.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the dome would be as empty if Amtrak had kept it on the Adirondack - or put it on the Cardinal!
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/WebLurkersDOMEmain/

The site for all things Dome.

As for me, I've ridden in my life...

UP Astra-Dome Lounges and Diners (I've passed through but not had passage on a Dome Coach)

ATSF Pleasure Domes

SP home-made 3/4 domes

and NP dome Pullmans (a substitute car on 3/4 back in 1973).

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe 10031 used to be Amtrak 9301, Ocean View, during her Auto Train years. I really really really hope this car returns to the Adirondack this fall in time for peak foliage. That was an awesome experience I hope to repeat! It was by no means empty on that train- the coaches were. Everyone was in the dome, with the occasional crop of teenagers playing cards or socializing downstairs where it was quiet.
Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoastStarlight99
Member # 2734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoastStarlight99   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome photos Jonathan!
I like that new Metrolink machine with Amtrak capability too. It's about time! : - )

Posts: 1082 | From: Los Angeles, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank You [Smile]

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page