RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Zephyr Detours - BNSF Mississippi River "Bridge Out"

Author Topic: Zephyr Detours - BNSF Mississippi River "Bridge Out"
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Associated Press

Brief Passage:

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A railroad bridge crossing the swollen Mississippi River in southeastern Iowa remained closed Friday, a day after it was struck by a grain-filled barge.....Amtrak's California Zephyr, which runs from Chicago to San Francisco, travels through Iowa. Eastbound passengers were taken by charter bus from Iowa to their destinations Thursday, while other trains have been rerouted, Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The detour route interests me. I saw elsewhere that it's Chicago-Ft. Madison-Kansas City-Omaha.

BNSF has a route up the west bank of the Mississippi River from Ft. Madison to Burlington. It's got to be less than 20 miles.

I'm thinking that this detour is out because either A) the track is in poor shape (unlikely as BNSF maintains well) or B) this detour would neccessitate turning the train in Ft. Madison. I don't know if there is a wye available there but it would be a cumbersome and time consuming move if there were!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
The detour route interests me. I saw elsewhere that it's Chicago-Ft. Madison-Kansas City-Omaha.

BNSF has a route up the west bank of the Mississippi River from Ft. Madison to Burlington. It's got to be less than 20 miles.

Somewhere I say that part of this Ft. Madison - Burlington section is under water.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak Train 5 of the 1st from Chicago had this Very--Very RARE detour route according to inside info from Trainorders dot com.
YES the Amtrak CZ number 5 rolled by the new Trainweb + Trainparty world headquarters late on May 1st.
This was ONLY ONLY train 5 of May 1 because this bridge collision happened after it departed Chicago IL. The regular CNW detour route via ROchelle IL + Marshalltown IA diverges from the scheduled route at Chicago Union Station so it was too late to use this line on May 1st.

This rare detour boiled down to the following route:
From Galesburg IL on the ATSF via Ft Madison IA--La Plata MO to Kansas City then north to St Joseph MO then west via Sterling, NE to rejoin the normal route at Lincoln, NE.
---Daniel
:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1662430
Date: May 2, 2008 12:02
Re: Update: on BNSF Burlington, IA Bridge Damage!
Author: Drew_Mitchem
I heard # 5 from yesterday detoured via KC and the St Joseph Sub to Lincoln.

Drew Mitchem
Pueblo, CO

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page