RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Oxnard to LA

Author Topic: Oxnard to LA
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it be quicker/easier to get a bus into LA from Oxnard rather than catching the Surfliner? I'm planning a few days R&R at Oxnard (I know little about it but the Hampton Inn there looks nice besides the ocean).
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you want to take the bus rather than the train? There are several Surfliners each day from Oxnard to L.A., and, in addition, the Metrolink commuter service also has several trains a day between Oxnard and downtown L.A.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. I don't want to take a bus if a train is going to be more reliable and, hopefully, quicker. I also hope the scenery might be better by rail.
Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barring some sort of major incident, the Surfliners and Metrolink trains are reasonably reliable. It's the Coast Starlight that has the potential to be hours late.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Surfliner would definitely be more scenic than the bus...
Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Is Metrolink run by Amtrak? If not, could I still use my US Rail Pass on this service?
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Metrolink is NOT run by AMTRAK. Metrolink is a local commuter rail service, funded by local/state tax money (I assume). I doubt if your USA Rail Pass would work on it.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOPE

At one time, Amtrak did hold a contract to operate Metrolink, but never for their own account.

I believe that operating contract is held by a French concern named Veolia Transportation, but I had best defer on that point to others at this West Coast oriented forum.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Thanks for these.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather--

Just a suggestion. Why not continue just a bit further north. Trust me, there is a WORLD of difference between Oxnard and, say, Ventura, the next stop on the Surfliner. There is also the sleeper town of Carpinteria just one stop after Ventura. If I didn't live in Santa Barbara, I'd move to Carp in a minute. It's one of the last true California Beach towns left without a lot of developement.

One stop beyond that is, of course, Santa Barbara. Either Carp or Ventura would probably be less expensive and both are very accesible on foot or using public transportation. I'm not sure where the Hampton Inn is in Oxnard but the town itself is pretty gritty. The beach is some distance from the station and I really think you might want to rethink it as an R&R destination.

Frank, just off #775 from BUR to SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather--

I just checked out the Hampton Inn. It's at Channel Islands Harbor with is an OK location but I think you'd enjoy Carpinteria or Ventura more. You'll need to take a cab to get there from the Amtrak Station or, possibly, public transportation. Without a car there is not much to do in the area around the hotel.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Thanks. I will check out the alternatives - any suggestions re hotels/inns in Ventura or Carp? The Franciscan Inn looks pretty good at Santa Barbara - is it?
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure to what extent you are a oenophile, or otherwise a "wino", Mr. Heatherite, but where Mr. SBA Frank is suggesting you stay is within Wine Country.

Santa Barbara Wine Country was best put on the map with the 2004 Oscar nominated film "Sideways'. Although the excellent actor Paul Giamatti is cast as an "unforgetable loser and louse", I somehow think that for both Mr. Giamatti and the two other principals, Virginia Madsen and Sandra Oh, wine is part of their off-screen lives.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Before I had to take daily medication for high blood pressure I adored my wine (and having lived in France I enjoyed plenty of great tipples). However, today it's just a fond memory!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page