RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Checked" baggage at Seattle

Author Topic: "Checked" baggage at Seattle
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're unable to get accomodations at the Best Western near King Street station...two night minimum and we're there only one. It appears we'll again put up at the Hampton Inn and Suites near the Space Needle...did that in 2004.

We're arriving Seattle about 10:20 AM on train #7 and would like to "check" our baggage while we wonder around town,have lunch and possibly dinner before checking into our hotel in the evening. The Seattle station accepts checked baggage, but do they have the facility to accommodate storing our baggage until 7:00 PM or so when we head for the hotel.
As always, appreciate your knowledgeable replies.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could give the ticket agent in Seattle a quick call to be sure but I would imagine that you could store your luggage for a couple or three dollars per piece much like in DC or LAX while you sightsee during the day.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has been my experience that any station that handles checked luggage will store your bags (at a fee of $3 per item), provided that you have either arrived on Amtrak, or are ticketed to depart on Amtrak. You do need to check on the hours of operation, as they are different for each station. On a recent trip, I stored bags in LAX, and then again in ABQ. In Albuquerque, they also had storage lockers, which were cheaper to use than than Amtrak.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could also check with the hotel, Many times they will keep your baggage for you until the room is ready while you go browsing. It wouldn't hurt to check.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've stayed at that Hampton Inn a few times. I think it's a GREAT place to stay. If only it were a little closer to downtown (or the train station). Last time I was there, they did not have a shuttle to take you anywhere, and you had to call in advance for a taxi since they normally don't patrol that area.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hillside -- I assume the Best Western you attempted to reserve was the Pioneer Square Hotel? I too tried to reserve a room there for us on our trip this summer, and was told (as has been confirmed previously by others on this forum) that they now require a 2-night minimum stay, why I have no idea......

I booked a room for us at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza -- a bit expensive, but it will only be for one night. Anyone here know anything about that hotel? How close is it to King Street Station?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In regards to the Pioneer Hotel, I have noticed that the 2 night requirement applies on dates when the Football or Baseball team have a game (only a few blocks from the hotel).
When I have tried to book a date when they are out of town, I have been able to book one night only.
I imagine the two night minimum may apply for other big events in the area.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Hull
Member # 4465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Hull     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Train Lady. Try the hotel. We arrived in Austin (yes I know it's a long way from Seattle!)at 10 am and the Holiday Inn was pleased to store our bags while we visited the sights.
John

Posts: 41 | From: Yaxham, Norfolk, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. E-mailed Amtrak and they echoed RussM's response, ie. three bucks a pop. As to leaving them at the hotel; the reason for the question was to obviate traveling all the way to the hotel "just" to drop off bags.

Once again, thanks,
Best regards,
Rodger.
P.S. Last year we were probably the only ones who arrived on Amtrak and took a hotel at the airport. However, given that we were spending three days and needed a car rental, the only economically feasable hotel was at the airport.

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page