RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Railroad.net refugees - what now?

Author Topic: Railroad.net refugees - what now?
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that Railroad.net is now back online, I'm interested in what you are planning to do. Will you
  • Stay away?
  • Wait and see?
  • Remain here at railforum.com?
  • Leave for the new Railroad.net?
  • A combination of these?
  • Something else?

For my answer...I have found many old and new "friends" here and I plan to stay. On the other hand, I do miss some of the other "friends" at the old site who haven't found their way over here. I'm going to wait and see how the new railroad.net shapes up before signing up.

------------------
Any time could be train time!
Ken V.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TR-00
Member # 1494

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for TR-00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

It's great having so much choice! But why limit yourself to only one source of information and entertainment? Sign up for all of them, they are either free or low cost, and it more than triples your variety.

Of course there are some who think we should each "belong" to one forum, you know, choose sides...

Posts: 12 | From: Hammonton, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarterB
Member # 1439

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for CarterB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with TR.......nice to have many choices, and if you frequent the various RR forums, you can often find expertise on one that may not be on another. I plan to stay here, there AND elsewhere.
Posts: 53 | From: Mahwah, NJ, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although one must respect that these various Forums are "competitors", I am unaware of any "loyalty oath" being taken before participating at one or another (I guess "paying up" over at Trainorders represents some degree of loyalty).

However, railroad.net has some technical problems that must be addressed. I have found that only about 50% of my posts are being accepted. There is some correlation between length and acceptance (shorter the better).

I trust my posts are not being "killed" account unsuitable content insomuch as I have accepted an appointment to moderate their Amtrak Forum. But this problem does tend from keeping me to prepare anything of original thought or anecdotal material that I have shared with Forums. After all, why prepare it if there is only a fifty-fifty chance it will be posted?

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TR-00:

OK! OK! OK!

Today I registered with the new railroad.net and made my first post. Thanks to Mr. Norman's warning, I saved it on the clipboard before clicking on POST which, after it didn't work the first time, let me paste it back again for a second try.

quote:
Originally posted by CarterB:
I agree with TR.......nice to have many choices, and if you frequent the various RR forums, you can often find expertise on one that may not be on another. I plan to stay here, there AND elsewhere.

I'm glad this forum won't be abandoned by several refugees. It is good to have choices. I now have another problem.

Maybe my question should have been is where to go when time is short?.

Railforum.com is now my first stop. The other sites will be visited when I get there.

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 05-17-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one have enjoyed the company of you railroad.net "refugees." So I hope you'll stick around and keep contributing. I was just getting to know some of you. As others have pointed out, this need not be an either-or decision.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...the Railroad.net site has been down for some hours now. Last post I read on there was one by Crazy_Nip, on a thread titled "Replacing Amtrak for a Better Tomorrow"...

Coincidence? We'll see once the site comes back up...or if it comes back up...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For now railroad.net seems to be active and stable. As to Crazy_nip, I found him to be a very intelligent and informed respondent at most times. It was only when he went on one of his tirades that he became intolerable. I have never believed that he was responsible for the previous meltdown at railroad.net. If anyone we may know was responsible (and I don't think it was), I have another suspect who I won't name here.

In my opinion, if Crazy_nip doesn't go too far, he should be welcomed to offer his opinions at railroad.net or any other open forum. On the other side, when he does go off (which will likely happen), he should be dealt with appropriately.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to Crazy_nip, I found him to be a very intelligent and informed respondent at most times

Same here, and I feel the same about his so-called tirades as well. Of course, we have to tolerate the tirades or get labeled as "nazis" or "fascists" :-P because he should never, ever, get booted off a message board...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
locomotiveguy
Member # 1445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for locomotiveguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is always three sides to every story. If you don't look at both sides you can't find the truth. That's what free speach is about. besides the Nip cracks me up! (Back to the subject)I'll bounce around. I even singed up for train orders while I was waiting.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any idea as to what is up with railroad.net?

I have not been able to get into the site for the past three days.

Anyone else having this problem????

Posts: 27 | From: San Antonio, TX. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 4 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, I'm having this problem too...or I should say that the folks at RRNET are having the problem. I've been able to get on their home page only once over the past three days; usually, I get a "Website not responding" or a page citing an ODBC database error, also mentioning "Provider error". I don't know whom they are dealing with, but they'll have to get in touch with them to fix that problem or go with another provider...
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Ever since they added their "new & Improved" site they've been having problems. Sometimes I can get into the site and look at a few things before the problems come back, but it usually doesn't last long. I did find a post on there about this and an administrator replied
quote:
We appologize for the inconvenience. The database system in use does not support the amount of traffic it gets from our members.
We are currently working on upgrading the Railroad.net database so that it can handle the load.

CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still down.................

Four days and counting.........

Posts: 27 | From: San Antonio, TX. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that railroad.net is back online for now, but I'm not counting any chickens yet.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just when you thought they were back?

They're gone again!!!

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Ray
Member # 1441

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Just when you thought they were back?
They're gone again!!!

I propose that railnet arises again (like a Phoneix), we mention this site on railnet as the best alternate when (if) railnet goes down yet again.

Posts: 11 | From: Lynbrook, NY, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Yup, RRNET failed again today. Maybe their provider switches temporary disk space away from them at a whim, to satisfy other domains, who knows...? We'll certainly find out whether SQL versus MS Access is the culprit or not...
CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for CNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know guys....but this is getting very old.....very fast..............

This seems to be one way to go......

Regards.........

Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ken V:
...but I'm not counting any chickens yet.

Yes indeed. This is getting very old and tired. (now,where did those chickens go?)

It also appears that trains.com has been down all day too.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRNET is "back up" as this morning.

Several enhancements have been made; principally is that the site now supports URL links. This means that quite legally ready reference can be made to copywrighted material at its source.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Yep, it's back on...and, to be fair, the webmasters did warn of outages prior to finishing up the SQL redo, now that I remember clearly...:-P
CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep...Its happened again.....

railroad.net is dead in the water.....

Any takers on how long that site is going to be down this time?????

Regards........

gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(A.K.A jfb at RR.net)

Can't say I'm surprised, and I certainly can't fault them.

The new site is an ambitious one, especially for an all-volunteer operation. Not unlike many tourist lines. Hopefully they'll be back up soon, but until then, this forum will do nicely. It's good to get around a bit.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

I was wondering when this thread would be resurrected :P Honestly...RRNET is getting tiresome; it's almost like when Acela Express trains get pulled out of service. From their error messages, I'd say that they tried to install banner ads and failed.

Besides...they have too many separate forums on that server; the Commuter Rail subdivision has separate forums for LIRR, NJT, NJT Light Rail (imagine that!), Metro-North, GO Transit, Metra, NICTD (South Shore Interurban), SEPTA, MBTA, Metrolink, MARC, Altamont Commuter Express, Tri-Rail, VRE, PATH, WMATA, NYC Subway, and a few others. That's out of about twenty or so Forum Category subdivisions! Lately, they've also had some oddball moderators, like this "Trainwiz"; the first thing he posted in the GO Transit forum was "I submitted this forum and you don't deserve credit"...kinda reminded me of the oddballs that are featured on foamer.railfan.net...

Heck, the new RRNET is text-only, not even HTML or UBB! I don't know if they'll dig themselves out of this mess...

gct29
Member # 1551

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gct29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but with a few exceptions (like a certain individual who decided to post a personals ad in the NY section), it had a good crowd.

Oh well. If RR.net tanks, they'll all migrate elsewhere, probably here. I'll be keeping an eye out.

Anyone notice the regionality between the boards? It seems Easterners, especially Northeasterners, frequented RR.net and this board tends to head West. I always wondered about that.

Posts: 51 | From: NY, NY | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Even as a Forum Moderator myself, I have no "inside" info as to when RRNET will be back.

Regarding "Mr. GCT 29's" comments, each of the three major boards have both region and content differences. Both here and TO are West Coast boards; that is where they started, hence that is from where the membership base originated and expended outward from there. RRNET, both original and successor, is from upstate New York, and at the successor board there are two principal staff members from the New York City area.

As for content, this board seems to attract members who wish to relate rail travel experiences as well as thouse who want travel tips for planned rail trips.

TO is largely concerned about operations; they appear to have a goodly number of RR operating employees amongst their membership.

RRNET attracts a group, at least to the Amtrak Forum, that want to discuss Public Policy as it realtes to Amtrak.

Several of the "proprietary sites", such as Yahoo and Prodigy sponsor railroad related message boards that no doubt were originated by a member of those sites.

So there is room for all (webmaster here: please don't kill; I've simply related the distinctions between various railroad message boards out there); to have fairness an balance, one should visit all boards, even if just to read, which all permit without registration. Let's wish RRNET a speedy recovery.

CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for CNJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope "Nip" is getting bored over this downtime......

CHATTER
Member # 1185

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for CHATTER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak.trains, another fine forum, has also been down the last several days.
Posts: 255 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superliner
Member # 1670

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superliner   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CHATTER,
We're back up again. Just go to www.amtraktrains.com and click on "discussion". The old board crashed to a point beyond repair so there is a whole new system replacing it.

Posts: 33 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Has anyone heard any updates on the status of railroad.net????

Regards.............

CNJ
Member # 1465

Rate Member
Looks like railroad.net is back..........
Sir Ray
Member # 1441

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Sir Ray     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're down! And this time they took TrainOrders with them!

Dang, is this board next?

Posts: 11 | From: Lynbrook, NY, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
As of 2:03PM (PT), both RRNET and TO are live and well.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Auto Train 52(6) near Aquia -

As of this morning "Account Suspended - contact hosting provider".

http://www.railroad.net/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi?f=46

Someone Forget to pay the light bill?

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's paid now. The site owner forgot.

PS: Jeff Smith is not the site owner. He gets paid a pittance by the owner to administer the site.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Holiday Inn Akron OH--

Well, that's resolved; confirm site is back.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page