RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New OTP Reporting Enhancement

Author Topic: New OTP Reporting Enhancement
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else noted such at www.amtrak.com

Simply query any train at Train Status and the new feature I'm addressing will be quite evident.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you for the heads up Mr Norman---this is a nice add to the Amtrak site
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you referring to the Historical On-Time Performance? I hadn't seen that before.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked into the Capitol time table just to check it out and where they have the list of amenities is listed enhanced superliner sleeing accomodations. What is that? I do not recall seeing that before. I checked several other sites and no one else had that.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting idea to "name and shame" the railroads over which the trains operate. Shame nobody checked the punctuation: "Click on the route to view it's [sic] OTP. ".

Primary Cause of Delays [Sunset Limited]
April 2008
Train Interference: 52.6%

* 85.5% on Union Pacific and former S.P.
* 12.9% on Burlington Northern Santa Fe
* 0.9% on CN - IC (Former GTW and IC)

Track and Signals: 27.6%

* 92.3% on Union Pacific and former S.P.
* 7.4% on Burlington Northern Santa Fe
* 0.2% on CN - IC (Former GTW and IC)

Equipment: 6.5%

* 100.0% on Union Pacific and former S.P.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this will show Amtrak related delays? Amtrak delays at stations and equipment problems are certainly a factor in overall performance.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only if those delays are in the top 3 for the time period. All possible delays including passenger delays and Amtrak equipment failure are listed below.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is meant by "passenger delay?" Does that mean that a passenger somehow delayed the train, or that that passenger has been delayed by the train?
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passenger Delays
All delays related to assisting passengers. These delays include holding a station departure for passengers boarding or detraining, for passengers connecting from another train or for assistance to an ill or injured passenger. Also included are any necessary delays for providing appropriate assistance to disabled passengers.

There's a glossary of terms on the page; here's the link: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Simple_Copy_Popup&cid=1178294150384

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great new feature!!! Starting around June 1, I will be checking the "historical on-time performance" of the trains we will be riding in July -- this will help a lot!!
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff M:
Passenger Delays
All delays related to assisting passengers. These delays include holding a station departure for passengers boarding or detraining, for passengers connecting from another train or for assistance to an ill or injured passenger. Also included are any necessary delays for providing appropriate assistance to disabled passengers.

There's a glossary of terms on the page; here's the link: http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Simple_Copy_Popup&cid=1178294150384

Geoff M.

And would also likely include holding a train that is already 7 hours late for another 30 minutes while the Salem, OR police arrive to arrest a passenger caught smoking marijuana in a bathroom. I'd call that rendering 'Appropriate Assistance'.

Such happened aboard the Coast Starlight on a trip I made in 2005.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's a great feature, but it really doesn't answer the question of intermediate delays. For example, if I want to connect to the northbound Adirondack at Schenectady, I'd like to know its performance over the NYC-SDY part of the route. Since most of the problems seem to come from D&H parts of the route which are north of SDY, I wonder if that means that performance is considerably better south of SDY and that the OTP into SDY is considerably better than the overall shown.

Similarly, I'm not surprised that the overwhelming % of delays in the Empire Builder are on BNSF since relatively little of the route is on other lines.

Having said that, I do appreciate Amtrak's attempt to give some "heads up" advice on OTP to perspective travelers.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something tells me this feature will not have a long shelf life as it appears to be shaping up into a "blame it on the railroads'.

I think a Class I host will soon object; and the "Adios" drumhead will soon be out.

If I were still in the industry, my objections would be noted.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Class 1 Hosts are being blamed, but so would Amtrak if it was one of the top 3 delays. Actually, all of this information (although in a little bit more difficult format) is available in the monthly Amtrak Performance Reports, already listed on the website....
Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jlcks
Member # 7282

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlcks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To know individual stations check http://www.amtrakdelays.com

That will give you individual city pairs for a certain train, but will not tell you why. This also gives you a day by day for the previous 4 weeks.

JIM

Posts: 14 | From: SE KS/SW MO | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg
Member # 66

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad this has been added and think this is helpful. While some might avoid Amtrak as a result, those might be those that would be most angry if delayed. Others at least have an understanding of what to expect and why, helpful in defusing anger should delays occur.

The on-line historical on-time information could be much more helpful if it contained information on the length of delays - average delay for late trains, percentage of late trains that were less than one hour late, 1 to 3 hours late, 3 to 6 hours late, etc. One our or less late for a LD train usually isn't a big deal. Twelve ours late is, though on some routes at some times it isn't/wasn't that unusual.

At one time, Amtrak included the host railroads in the timetables. I wonder if that will come back.

Posts: 41 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charles802
Member # 2162

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles802     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Amtrak measures on-time performance at the endpoint of the journey, hence the train can be running quite late and then magically end up on-time through schedule padding between the second-to-last and last stop. I also seem to recall that the tolerance for "on-time" varies between 10 minutes and 30 minutes depending on the total distance of the train journey.

I noticed the Vermonter had OTP of 3.3% in April and 6.7% for the Texas Eagle [Frown]

Coast Starlight definitely seems improved in on-time performance, at least when it has actually been running.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bywater
Member # 8351

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bywater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say it loud, say it proud. Stand up and say, for all to hear, YES, we're causing Amtrak delays because our customers and profit are more important to our stockholders than your antiquated national passenger service! So what. You can't do anything about it. And By Gum, we'll continue to do it because it is in our own best interests. We Deliver!
Posts: 3 | From: new orleans | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Hear hear, Mr. Bywater!!

disclaimer: author holds positions in BNI and NSC; (YTD08, BNI is the portfolio's best performing security).

bywater
Member # 8351

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bywater         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then why have any anxiety that someone is illustrating the issue as you seem to have? If the shoe fits......
Posts: 3 | From: new orleans | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Then why must you register at this forum for no apparent reason other than to make a facetious off-topic comment?

We all get along pretty good around here - and without a moderator.

bywater
Member # 8351

Rate Member
Off Topic? You put it in play. IF the freight railroads are so proud of delaying Amtrak, then one should not be upset when it is illuminated for all to see.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page