RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset numbers are up.

Author Topic: Sunset numbers are up.
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunset numbers are up for 2007 in Houston and Beaumont.
Houston 10,000 to 13,000
Beaumont 900 to 1400.
http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/factsheets/TEXAS07.pdf

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should note, Mr. GP 35, that there is a distortion arising from the three month Katrina service suspension affecting the FY 06 reportings.

Overall, FY06 passengers handled at Texas stations was 268,452 compared with 262.081 during FY07. For the State as a whole this is a decrease of 2.3%.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said the Sunset, not all of Texas. Even beforet Katrina and Rita the numbers on the Sunset was drifting down. This is the first significant rise in 10-15 years, maybe longer.
The Houston and Beaumont transit centers should help more in the future.

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have a point Mr. GP; if we interpolate the FY06 boarding/alighting report @ Houston of 13000 to reflect the three month interruption (12/9 X 10000=13333) would be adjusted to 13,333 or a virtual 'unchanged".

Your home town of Beaumont did see an increase (12/9 X 900=1200) of 1300 which compares favorably with the adjusted 1200 - an 8.3% increase, albeit on a "mighty small" base.

But we must note, a Daily ex. Sat busload of passengers in or out of the fourth largest city in the US (13000/52X6=41.7) can only be considered as meaningless.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Any little bit helps. Beaumont MSA 400,000 with 1380 riders as percent is better than Houston MSA 5.5 million with 13,000 riders.
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gp35:
Any little bit helps. Beaumont MSA 400,000 with 1380 riders as percent is better than Houston MSA 5.5 million with 13,000 riders.

Particularly since only the truly determined can even find where the train stops in either place. Yes, Beaumont has only a spot next to the track but the Houston station is no landmark structure, either.

And, oh yes, it does not even run every day.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, parts of the Houston station are landmark structures. The bench seats are from our old Union Station, before we built the Astros ballpark on top of it.

The old "Great Hall" of the Union Station is still there, in the ballpark, if anyone ever wants to visit it. It is directly below the train at the end of it's trip when a home run is hit.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
I worked with a woman who's office over looks the railroad tracks. She had never heard of Amtrak and didn't know Beaumont was an Amtrak stop. I said to her, "All these years in this office and you never seen a passenger train on those tracks outside your window."
So a late #2 came by one day, so I pointed it out to her. She was astonished and asking endless questions about if passengers were really on that train. I said they wouldn't give windows to freight.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend with the Grand Junction, CO police department who says she often sees number 6 when she is on her way home for lunch.

Her awareness level is higher for having known me.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Of interest, it appears that these "stats' are available for any of the 46 states to which Amtrak serves. As example, here is same for Arizona:

http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/factsheets/ARIZONA07.pdf

These abysmal traffic counts is simply pointing out that it's no wonder Mr. GP35's colleague had no reason, save her workplace contact with him, to even know the Sunset existed.

The Maricopa (Phoenix) numbers are indicative of how Amtrak is simply a non-issue in the fastest growing region of the US.

I continue to ask, if the Sunset West were to be whacked, who, away from this forum and the advocacy groups, would miss it?

gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
3. Maybe the train is already full coming from the second largest state and the first largest state.
2. Maricopa is not Phoenix
1. Tri-weekly

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple years ago on a visit with in-laws near Phoenix, I went to a local fair. A rail advocacy group - the name escapes me - was very anti-Amtrak. They wanted a state sponsored multi-frequency service to LA.

To avoid UP and all the issues of running over them, they were proposing the restoration of an obscure route via BNSF from Phoenix to Wickenburg, AZ (on their line to Ash Fork-Williams Jct.) then on the Arizona and California RR (a former Santa Fe line) to Cadiz, CA (between Needles and Barstow) where it connects to BNSF's SWC line.

Hardly I a high speed alternative. But Phoenix to LA is right in there with Las Vegas to LA for the most neglected Amtrak market.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page