RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Questions on Silver Meteor LAK to BAL

Author Topic: Questions on Silver Meteor LAK to BAL
Floridian
Member # 8304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floridian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all...
Have been reading this forum for about 3 weeks now and have throughly enjoyed it, not to mention all the good information it contains.
I have purchased RT coach tickets on the Meteor to travel from Lakeland to Baltimore-Penn in late July and have a few questions. This will be my first travel experience on Amtrak.

1. Is Baltimore-Penn station all on one level? Also, is taxi service readily available or is it necessary to phone for a cab?
2. I've read several posts about dining car food on some of the western lines - is the Meteor better or worse? Any menu items to definitely avoid?
3. I'm taking 2 carry-on bags (a tote and a very small softside) - will they be safe to leave at my seat/luggage area while visiting the restroom or dining-lounge cars? They won't contain any valuables, just clothes/toiletries.
4. Has anyone had any experience with the light rail system in Baltimore?
5. What is the Baltimore-BWI station like?
6. Are there two restrooms in each coach car and do they stay busy?

I chose Amtrak because I read the TSA rules/regs on air travel and during the winter had watched a cable TV show called "Airline", which deals with Southwest Airlines personnel interactions with their passengers. Also, I was very dismayed to learn that most of the air routes from Central Florida to Baltimore were via places like Detroit & Chicago and included several hours of layover before going on to Baltimore. That struck me as a tad out of the way! Delta did go to Charlotte and then to Baltimore, but the leave/arrival times were just as crummy as the others. I haven't traveled by air since the late 80's, so the new style air travel is something I want to avoid at all costs.

Thanks for any advice/comments y'all have.

Posts: 20 | From: Zephyrhills, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Floridian and welcome to the forum.

Others will give their opinions (all of them valid) of overnight coach vs. sleeper (which is overpriced on the Silver Service trains) so I'll refrain from that part of the conversation. There are some good folks who will also be along soon with tips on how to make your trip in coach more tolerable.

I went to grad school in College Park, MD and spent more than a little time going to Baltimore while I was there - I'll do what I can with your questions

1) Baltimore Penn Station has two levels. The trains run through under a concourse. You will have to go upstairs or use an elevator to reach the concourse from the platform. There is usually a line of cabs in front of the station any time trains are due to arrive.

2) Meal service has improved slightly over this time last year. The menus will generally include a beef selection, a chicken selection, a vegetarian dish, maybe a seafood or other special. Essentially though, it's the particular crew that you have that will ultimately make the difference in whether your dining experience is a good one. I've observed that most dining crews in the last couple of years have been consistantly 'improved'. Hopefully you'll not get one of the dysfunctional crews.

3) Your bags should easily go in the overhead rack above your seat and it is pretty unlikely that you will have any trouble with anyone trying to mess with them while you're away from your seat.

4) Yes. Baltimore's light rail is pretty decent. You can buy a day pass for a few dollars and if you're looking at using the system for more than just a roundtrip the pass is a good value. It's possible to have a good trip to Baltimore without straying more than a few blocks from the light rail. If you're going to be out alone at night I'd do little more investigation as to where you would probably rather not venture. There is a light rail station at Penn Station but it is a short spur from the main stem.....you literlly ride 300 yards and transfer. You'll also have to go up to the concourse at Baltimore Penn and then come back down the stairs to get to the light rail.

5) BWI Station is about 10 miles south of the city. It is one level BUT passengers using the southbound platform must use stairs or the elevator to go up and over the tracks. The station is about 30 years old now and small. There is a big parking garage. You can get a free shuttle bus to the airport where you can either catch the lightrail or catch another free shuttle bus that will take you to the rental car facility which is no longer in the BWI terminal. It's a good alternative to Penn Station if you're destination is the area south of the city....of course getting there from Florida would mean changing trains in Washington, DC.....but hey, everyone could use an excuse to go inside Washington Union Station and look around.

6) The typical Amfleet coach has two restrooms at one end of the car. One is a small room and the other is somewhat larger to accomodate passengers who use wheelchairs.

I hope you have a great trip and will come back on and tell us about it when you get home!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Floridian -- welcome to this forum!!! I think David answered your questions pretty thoroughly, but I just have one comment -- if you are leaving from Lakeland, you will be riding the Silver Star, not the Silver Meteor!! However, the Star and the Meteor are virtually identical trains -- they both have the same consists and features.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Needless to say the Forum knows where I stand on the Coach v. Sleeper issue.

Lets just say, and considering your profile notes you are retired and in all likelihood the journey is discretionary, 'traveling Coach for your first trip could well mean such will be your last trip".

Sleeper is expensive - often treble that of Coach, but it remains my recommendation that you upgrade to such.

To continue, let's be mindful that the news media furthers their interests by giving anything, such as air transport, a "bum rap'. Horror stories do abound, and the media has their field day. But where is the story regarding someone who passes through TSA security in about ten minutes, boards a flight that leaves and takes off "more or less" on time, lands and arrives at its gate same, and checked baggage is returned intact with reasonable dispatch. For every horror story, there are ten thousand of these "non events", but we know which one will be printed or aired.

Incidentally, if you want to 'try out a train" and be relieved of one of the major causes of air travel anxiety - namely connecting flights, consider that USAir operates TPA-PHL nonstops. From there, make your way to 30th Street Station, and take a 90 mile journey to Baltimore. There are hourly trains through the day - and even I would ride Coach for that one.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Floridian - I am sure you will enjoy your trip and hope all the good advice others gave you will help.

I concur with Mr. Norman that if the budget allows, it is worth splurging on a roomette in the sleeper to make your trip more enjoyable. In addition to a private room with bed and toilet, the price includes all meals in the diner. Not a small amount if you are riding in coach and have to pay for them.

Another option you may want to consider is taking your car and riding the Auto Train from Sanford to Lorton, VA (just south of Washington). You will have to pay extra to take your car, but will save you any transportation expense in the Balt. area.
The auto train is a cut above other Amtrak trains -better lounge space, better food, and nicer equipment (it uses the two level cars generally assigned to western trains) - even coach should be tolerable.

While I certainly don't recommend it if you enjoy train trips (and don't like airport hassle), I am surprised you couldn't find a direct inexpensive flight from Orlando to BWI. Did you check www.southwest.com ?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland has made a great suggestion, Ms. Floridian, - consider Auto Train. I am a seventeen trip "veteran" on such, and I totally concur that the level of on-board service is far superior to anything you will find elsewhere about the Amtrak system.

The two level Superliner equipment assigned is simply in a class above any single level equipment on the Silver Star. In either class of service, Dinner and Breakfast are included in the fare.

It should be noted I much prefer driving about at destination "in my own (admittedly luxury level) ride' than any wind up toy an auto rental concern will serve up.

Finally, I'm unaware how long you have been around the passenger rail "scene", but your handle just happens to be the name of the Chicago-Miami train Amtrak operated from 1971 until 1979.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Floridian
Member # 8304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floridian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the warm welcome from all who've replied and especially to David P. for the Baltimore info.

Just to clear things up, I'm an old country gal -not a "Mister". Have lived in Florida since I was 4, hence the handle "Floridian", which just sort of popped into my head. It could be that I heard of that train as a kid. Anyhoo, the last time I was on a train was at age 3 (round-trip Norfolk to St. Louis) with my Mom. They had Pullman cars back then and real silver in the dining car. I remember quite a lot from that trip, especially moving between cars, which scared me a bit.

I think I'll be okay in coach, since I regularly doze off in the recliner in front of the TV until the very wee hours of the morning - should prove to be a lot like home [Smile]

I am booked on the Meteor, which I will catch in Orlando - the Lakeland to Orlando leg is by Amtrak bus.

Sorry to be so down on air travel, but I flew extensively for 20 years (60's to 80's both domestic & international) and am "very spoiled". I felt that airlines were starting to go downhill in the 80's, but compared to today's situation, it could be classed as luxury travel.

I don't want to be bothered with driving, so I'm budgeting big bucks for the cab fares I'll need.

Again, many thanks! I'll post a trip report after I return.

Posts: 20 | From: Zephyrhills, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's wishing you a good trip.

Just to expand on what David said about our Light Rail, it's pretty decent. For $3.50, you can get a Daypass that is also good on Local MTA buses and the Subway here (yes, we do have one). The Penn Station service now runs all the way to Camden Yards from Penn Station, so it's not quite the short hop it used to be.

I've always found cabs to be readily available even though I've never used one, usually going between the Light Rail or the 3, 11, 61, and 64 line buses that service the station directly.

Bus Route 11 has recently been restructured, and now serves a number of attractions from the Station including the Inner Harbor, Fells Point and Canton to the South, and BMA, Charles Village, and Towson to the North.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diner advice.....

If you'll reserve second seating or later you may have an opportunity to 'get a visual' on what earlier diners are having.

I had a really good vegetarian lasagna on one of the western trains in March.......and this from a guy who normally uses my Amtrak trips as an excuse to have steak every night.....all because I saw it at the next table and thought it looked appealing.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Baltimore's No.11 bus brings back memories. I commuted on that to 1 N. Charles everyday for about 8 years in the 70's.

David has good advice on trying something other than steak. My wife and I had the flat iron steak twice and both times did not like it all - although others have and thought it ok. Certainly not as good as the old sirloin they used to have.

Based on an outstanding catfish dinner on the CONO and one great braised beef on the Silver Star and then one just ok on a later trip, I think the chef really does make a difference. Well seasoned and cooked properly, AmFood can be pretty good.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page