RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Renting a Car in New Orleans

Author Topic: Renting a Car in New Orleans
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I are excited about taking the Sunset Limited from Maricopa to New Orleans in a couple of weeks. We plan to rent a car in New Orleans, and then drive to northern Florida and Georgia. (We would have liked to ride the Sunset to Jacksonville, but that is another story).

Do any of you have any ideas or suggestions about renting a car in New Orleans. We are unfamiliar with the area of the city where the Train station is. I worry if the train is late, and it is dark when we arrive. Please give us any advice.

Thank you

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the same problem. the train was late and the downtown hertz office was closed. had to go to the airport to get a car. another time i rented a dollar rent a car. cant recall for sure but it was a short cab ride from the depot.

--------------------
The Copper Country Limited [Milwaukee Road-Soo Line] and the Peninsula 400 [CNW} still my favorites

Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only experience was picking up from the airport (where I arrived) and dropping off at the station. The latter was booked and confirmed, and instructions on what to do. When I arrived - nothing. No phone, nobody in the station knew anything about it, and in the end I had to drive to a car park near the riverfront convention centre to drop it off and take a taxi back. I was not best pleased, especially when the office there said there was no such drop-off location - even when I showed them their confirmation slip clearly stating "Amtrak New Orleans"!

That was going back 5 years now. I can't remember what rental company that was.

Personally, if I was booking this now, I'd take a taxi to the airport and rent there. They're far more likely to be open and serving customers than any "downtown" locations.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is an Enterprise location pretty near the station...maybe a little more than a mile...

1019 BARONNE STREET
NEW ORLEANS, LA 70113-1006
Tel.: (504) 593-9068

They are open Monday - Saturday until 6:00pm.

There's also a Budget office on Canal Street which isn't too far as well..

1317 CANAL STREET
NEW ORLEANS, LA 70112 US

They are open MO-FR 8-5, SA/SU 8-1.

Also, pretty sure there is a Hertz and Avis location downtown.

There still might be a courtesy phone booth in the station which has the car companies listed but I am not sure.

If the train is really late, would suggest just taking a cab to your hotel and they arrange something from there for the next day.

--------------------
Good morning America, how are ya?

44,950 Amtrak rail miles traveled since August 18, 2003.

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O.
Member # 2993

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or...if you are not going to get a hotel...the only other thing to do would be to get to the airport like others have mentioned and then rent one from there. Taxi would cost around $28.

--------------------
Good morning America, how are ya?

44,950 Amtrak rail miles traveled since August 18, 2003.

Posts: 135 | From: Atlanta, GA / New Orleans, LA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes that is the problem in New Orleans -- the airport is NOWHERE NEAR downtown -- I'm surprised the current cab fare is only $28
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of your responses. We have decided it is best to rent a car near the airport. If I knew the train would be on time, we could plan differently, but with Amtrak, you never know what might happen. We plan to rent a car near the airport, then drive directly to Biloxi and stay there.

An interesting side note: I had received an email from Amtrak Guest Rewards with a coupon for "up to 20% discount" from Budget Rental Car. We made a reservation with Budget, and included the coupon code. The cost was about $500 for the time we are planning to rent. Then, I made the exact same reservation without the coupon. The cost was about $320. I called budget, and they gave me the $320 rate and cancelled the rate with the Amtrak code. The lady on the phone said that this was typical with Amtrak coupons.

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page