TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Now 3 and 4 are high and dry

Author Topic: Now 3 and 4 are high and dry
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word today is that the Southwest Chief has been suspended between Kansas City and Chicago account flooding. Pretty soon, the Texas Eagle?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the website:

June 17, 2008
10 am CDT

Amtrak service is disrupted at Fort Madison and Burlington, Iowa, and south of St. Paul, Minn., due to flooding on the Mississippi River and its tributaries.

Affected are the Amtrak Southwest Chief route between Los Angeles and Chicago, via Kansas City; Amtrak California Zephyr route between the San Francisco Bay and Chicago, via Denver and Omaha; and the Amtrak Empire Builder route between Seattle/Portland and Chicago, via St. Paul.

In addition to closing railroad routes and stations, flooded highways are making the provision of alternate transportation by chartered motorcoach impossible in some cases.

Passengers are urged to call Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL if they have travel plans on the three routes below, through June 20. Those passengers with telephone contact information in their reservations are being called by Amtrak and offered options including future travel dates.

Southwest Chief, Trains 3 & 4

Service by the Southwest Chief between Kansas City and Galesburg, Ill.,is temporarily suspended due to flooding on the BNSF Railway route in Iowa, effective June 17.

Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoaches will be provided between Kansas City and Galesburg, with the exceptions of La Plata, Mo., and Fort Madison. Passengers ticketed at those stops are being offered travel at other Amtrak stations in Illinois.

California Zephyr, Trains 5 & 6

Service by the California Zephyr between Chicago and Denver is temporarily suspended due to flooding on the BNSF Railway route in Iowa, effective June 13.

Alternate transportation will be provided between Denver and points in Nebraska, including Omaha, by chartered motorcoaches. No alternate transportation is available to or from points in Iowa. Alternate transportation between Chicago and other points in Illinois will be provided by other Amtrak trains.

Empire Builder, Trains 7/27/807 & 8/28/808

Service by the Empire Builder between St. Paul and Chicago is temporarily suspended due to flooding on the Canadian Pacific Railway route in Wisconsin, effective June 10, and the closing of a detour route on the BNSF Railway, effective June 15.

Alternate transportation by chartered motorcoach will be provided between St. Paul and Chicago, with the exceptions of Portage, Columbus and Milwaukee, Wisc., and Glenview, Ill. Passengers ticketed at those stops are being offered travel at other Amtrak stations. Amtrak Hiawatha Service trains are available as alternate transportation to and from Glenview and Milwaukee.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you notice, it now says between Kansas City & GLALESBURG, not Chicago (they changed it this morning). That might mean the SWC will be making it to Chicago on an alternate route.
Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stub train for Galesburg to Chicago. Busses between Kansas City and Galesburg. Sleeper service et al between Kansas City and LA.

I'm on Thursday's Chicago to LAX and am hoping we get to Kansas City before bed time [Smile]

I lose dinner Thursday night.

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kjkober, where did you find that info? I am on #4 tomorrow and Thursday.
Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should note that Chicago and Kansas City are a major city pair that is not directlly connected by Interstate Highways. To use Interstates Galesburg to KC, one would forst operate (compass North) in I-74 West to Rock Island, thence I-80 West to Des Moines, and Finally I-35 South to KC. But the alternative of using two lane Missouri State Highways would result in an "over hill over dale" experience.

Oh well, I guess the highwaymen don't get everything they want...just almost everything.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At approximately 335PM CT, an Amtrak WB passenger train passed my home.

Consist appeared to be that from the Midwest Corridor pool, namely P-42, six Amfleet and Horizons, F40 NPCU on the rear.

Such would appear to be running on #3(17)'s schedule and, as of now, "more or less" on-time, however at present, there is no record in Train Status of either a #3 or #1003 departing CHI.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, I don't think the folks at Amtrak's Whistle Stop webpage are going to be getting much new positive experiences from these busstitutions...

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Oh well, at least there was an "Amflee-tution" for the Chief.; enjoy Dinner at some truck stop, everyone.
kjkober
Member # 1423

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kjkober     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Printman.

I called amtrak reservations.

Posts: 42 | From: Akron, Ohio USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page