RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » left luggage in Philadelphia

Author Topic: left luggage in Philadelphia
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am considering a quick train trip to Philadelphia to meet a friend from southern NJ with whom I'll be spending a few days. I would get in to Philly before lunch and would like to leave my luggage somewhere (I supposed at 30th St Station) and go down to see that new Constitution Hall, the inside of which I missed last time; my friend would then be meeting me later in the day with a car (likely at 30th St Station, but she is flexible). I'm wondering (a) is there a way to leave luggage in 30th St Station? Is it a left luggage place, as in NYC? Or is it lockers only? And (b) can one leave luggage for the day in the Philadelphia ACELA lounge?

Thanks for the information!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you check you luggage to Philadelphia and then not pick it up until you are ready to meet your friend?
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly Amtrak assess demurrage when baggage is not promptly claimed.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check with Amtrak, We have left baggagein the baggage room for a day because it came in on a different train than we did. If that is still in force Miami's suggeston makes lot of sense. A second possibility wouild be to check on leaving them in the Acela lounge. In both DC and Chicago you can leave baggage for the day (if you came in on first class )
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checking the bags is a great idea if I take Amtrak. However, I go down to NYC overnight with a friend before I leave, in which case I would likely take NJ Transit and SEPTA to Philly, as it's cheaper!

I do have one pass left for an ACELA lounge and could use that, so I wanted to know if anyone knew if there was a luggage check in there. However, I'd rather save my pass for another time and pay to check my bags, if possible. I wondered if anyone had done that in Philly and knew if that were possible.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've checked bags at the baggage counter in Philly. It only costs a couple bucks and all you need to do it is a ticket or reciept from a train of the same date.

It's in the Northeast corner of the station.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks, LL! Do you know if the ticket has to be an Amtrak ticket, or could it be SEPTA for the same day, Amtrak another day?
Liberty Limited
Member # 4300

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liberty Limited   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sojourner,

I actually used this very service yesterday. It came in SERIOUS handy as I had a 2 day course to take for which I was coming up on the Regional, taking day one of the course, then checking into my hotel, spending the night before checking out and then going back for the second day of the course before returning by train. Come to find out the course was held in a Federal Building, so here I was on Day One lugging my overnight bag and all attached goodies through building security - NOT fun. I decided I was not game for this the second day and, on my way there from the hotel, hopped off my 36 trolley at 30th Street to store my bag for the day before continuing on a surface bus back to the course site.

Unlike the last time when the agent specifically requested to see the ticket, I simply had an Amtrak ticket in hand at the desk, and the agent didn't even pay it any mind. YMV.

Cost is $3.00 per 24 hour period or fraction therof.

--------------------
History of Baltimore and Baltimore Transit - Visit http://www.btco.net !

Posts: 86 | From: Baltimore | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Sounds very useful! Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page