RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coffee

Author Topic: Coffee
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder, for those who have taken the Coast Starlight post "re-launch", what your opinion is of the new "specialty coffee bar". I have long thought a "Starbucks"-like coffee bar would be great on the train. If anyone has sampled their coffee ..please lets us know your thoughts..is it as good as Starbucks? Will other Amtrak trains be implementing a coffee bar?

Another thing I would like to see...I have always liked the TV monitors on the Amtrak Cascades..they give your mileage data and what towns/areas you are going through. I thought that would be a good thing to have on LD trains..besides mileage info and towns you are approaching..possibly "travelogue" presentations on historical sites along the way.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
years ago when there were on board chiefs they would give a travelogue on the Builder, Zepher,and Pioneer. Occasionally a conductor or attendent (who was knowledgeable) would do the same. Now with a new gneraton of attendents and no on board chiefs things have changed. On the Capitol Limited Larry ( a sleeping car attendent) will give an intereting talk as you go along . that is when he has the time. He is usually very busy taking care of his "people" that he has very little time left. There are printed route guides that are interesting.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if the machines are being used yet. In the Parlour Car I was on for the re-launch on June 10th (car # 39973), they were not allowed to turn the machine on because they did not have an approved "cleaner" for the machine. Ugh.........I really have a difficult time comprehending some of the weird excuses Amtrak comes up with sometimes.

While true that they may not have an approved cleaner for the machine, I still don't get it. These machines are European units used on numerous trains in Europe on a daily basis. When they ordered these $8,000 machines, I would have thought that it dawned on someone that they should probably ask the manufacturer something like, "Oh, and by the way, how should we clean these units?". I mean, come on, it's not like these things just magically appeared on the trains overnight and everyone was standing there looking at them saying, "Now what do we do?". But then again, the Parlour Car attendant on RE-LAUNCH DAY did NOT know how to turn on the movies in the lower level theater (HINT: Press "power" and then press "play"). On re-launch day, they also ran out of marinara sauce for the veggie lasagna, and then they ran out of lasagna entirely. This is on the FIRST dinner service of this train, only one hour into dinner. Are you kidding me?????????

Why am I not surprised at ANY of this?

On the Tehachapi detour yesterday of both the northbound and southbound trains, each train had their second locomotive break down (my train #14 had to stop in Stockton for an hour while they added a UP locomotive). The second unit (AMTK 119) had been having mechanical issues on previous trips, it was written up for these issues, and given the "green light" to continue operating. GIVE ME A BREAK! (The detour was great--I don't want to give the wrong impression on that, but dammit, Amtrak is a COMPLETE MESS!!!)

(By the way, even if Amtrak figures out how to make coffee with their new machines, it won't matter too much right now because two of the five cars are out of service after their big and expensive "refurbishment". The replacement Parlour Car---if there is one----has nothing special. If Amtrak gets the 5 billion (or whatever it is) that Congress wants to give them, how much of that will be put to good use? Or will they just pee away all of it as usual?????)

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be interested to see this $8,000 machine when I ride the CS after the dust has settled a bit. I'm wondering if it's like the one they have on the Continental 767's and 777's. Knowing airline bean counters, I suspect they didn't put out anything close to that amount. The inflight version does a pretty good cappuccino or espresso depending on the skill of the "barista".

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah..you would think they would know how to clean an $ 8,000 coffee machine. But. like Smitty, I am not surprised. I thought you could clean nearly any coffee machine just by running hot water through it? Hopefully, Amtrak will get their act together and learn how to clean and operate their coffee machines. Would it be too much to hope for a nice, cold, frappachino served, on the train, on a hot summer day?

Remembering back in the 60's, before Amtrak, passenger trains once served absolutely delicious coffee..at least the ones I rode. I once asked an attendant what brand of coffee they used...he said "Farmers" brand. I think Farmers was a coffee sold, mainly, to restaurants. I have to think there was a special way they brewed the Farmers coffee...as I don't think I have had as good a cup of coffee, ever.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever happened to a can of Folgers @ $7.95 (when on sale at Jewel/Supervalu) and a $25 Mr. Coffee bewing pot?

That's all I for one need (no analogies to wine SVP).

Posts: 9978 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Whatever happened to a can of Folgers @ $7.95 (when on sale at Jewel/Supervalu) and a $25 Mr. Coffee bewing pot?

That's all I for one need (no analogies to wine SVP).

Oh, Mr. Norman, that is so passe'! How can we introduce you to the joys of the $5 latte and the highend brews from $8,000 machines...I can only hold out hope that there is hope!
>>>(Insert facetious smily-face icon here)<<<

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd much rather drink Folger's, too, than that awful overpriced yuppie-puppy Starbucks, which reminds me of burnt aviation motor oil.

Not that the coffee brewed on Amtrak trains is anything to praise -- after all, don't quasi-government operations use the lowest bidder? But it does wake me up in the morning, and that's all that counts.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually gents, my "brew of the morn" is presently Maxwell House; it was on sale at Wal-Mart for $5.99 a can. I bought their "limit 4 please".
Posts: 9978 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't like Starbuck's coffee at all so I don't drink it but if AMTRAK really paid $8000 for a freakin' coffee pot they don't deserve any funding, government or otherwise.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We should not be surprised that the government, quasi- or otherwise, paid $8,000 for a coffee maker. Remember the $800 toilet seats the Defense Department purchased during the Reagan era? The more things change . . .
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I find a difference between Folgers, Maxwell House, and Starbucks. I much prefer Starbucks.

Whatever Amtrak comes up with, I'm sure it will be a pleasant improvement over the coffee percolator that Amtrak has in that space between the economy bedrooms and the deluxe bedrooms. That percolator seems to be on all day..and the coffee tastes as much. By the way, I once saw a presentation on coffee on the History Channel. The worst coffee you can make is with the traditional percolator where hot water infuses through coffee grounds over and over.

I wonder, considering the reality of Starbucks showing up on just about every other block in numerous cities, why Starbucks can't run their own coffee bar, on Amtrak, and give Amtrak a share of the revenue?

Richard

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Well, Mr. 11, maybe it would not be a good idea for Amtrak to embrace Starbucks, because:

"The Seattle coffee chain said Wednesday that net income fell 28 per cent during the fiscal second quarter. CEO Howard Shultz announced that the company would be scaling back its expansion in its core North American market in response to declining same-store sales." (AP, April 28)

Could this be a brand in decline?

On the other hand, I agree with you about Maxwell Horse. Folger's is at least tolerable. We need the History Channel to stage a competition. Or maybe we ourselves could. A blind taste test, like the oenophiles?

By the way, I'm a Papa Nicholas drinker.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in on Folgers. At least it tastes like coffee. I have decide that Starbucks recycles theirs. It is usually strong enough to stand up and stir itself. the last time we had coffee on the capitol it was good, Even smelled like coffee
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
I wonder, considering the reality of Starbucks showing up on just about every other block in numerous cities, why Starbucks can't run their own coffee bar, on Amtrak, and give Amtrak a share of the revenue?

Well, if history is any indicator, then something like that will never, ever, ever happen on Amtrak. The reason I say that is because just within the last year or two, Amtrak had Subway Sandwiches available on Amtrak NEC trains. They were Subway employees, on-board the trains, with pre-made sandwiches. It was decent food, quick, easy, and cheap. Everyone loved it----except one group of people. Care to guess who that group was?? Answer: the union. They quickly made a big stink about it, and Subway on Amtrak lasted for exactly one day. They saw that an outside vendor can do something better, cheaper, and quicker.....and that made them quake in their boots.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Smitty, perhaps the union made a stink for territorial reasons rather than fear of better quality. Unions are very protective of jobs because to lose them means to lose bargaining power.

This brings to mind: Why couldn't Amtrak simply have treated Subway as another vendor, purchasing premade sandwiches for sale by Amtrak employees on board?

And it also suggests another question: Exactly how good are even Subway sandwiches after a couple of hours sitting in the cooler? Much of Subway's appeal (to me, at least) is the extreme freshness of a newly made 'wich. Wouldn't that be largely lost in a prefab?

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in Gil's corner on this one. All I ask from my coffee is that it be fresh, hot, and strong. I would never dream of paying $4 for a cup of some yuppie brew with foam on top of it (of course, I never dreamt I'd pay $4 for a gallon of gasoline, either!).

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Henry, we were on the Cardinal and a tremendous rain storm hit in the middle of the night. The next morning the diner was inoperable in terms of cooking. They served sleeping car pasengers only. I noticed that wwe seemed to be spending a lot more time at Charleston than usual. As lunch time approached we wondered what would happen. Kiddingly I said "Oh they probably got carry out". When we passed the Kitchen there were boxes of Subway sandwiches and bags of potato chips. Actually they were quite good and tasted fresh. We had a choice of roast bef, turkey or ham. So apparently it is doable
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Train Lady, that sounds terrific! I presume that the crew sent out at Charleston for the sammitches. Subway is a much healthier rung higher on the culinary ladder than Mickey D's, which was always called to the rescue every time the Zephyr ran into dining-car trouble in the 1990s. I liked the Egg McMuffins but just could not stomach the "sauce" on the Big Macs. On the other hand, I have always liked McDonald's coffee, too. It deserves to be included in our proposed rolling taste test.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really have no preference whatsoever what kind of coffee they serve on AMTRAK, since I DON'T DRINK COFFEE!!!!! ANY kind! Yeeeccch!!!! And you people drink that horrid stuff for breakfast since it "wakes you up?" Yeecch!!! Coffee is the worst-tasting beverage I have ever tasted!! (OK, that's my 2 cents worth..... back to the train talk now!)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Okay, my two cents on coffee......I think the best cup 'o coffee out there is at 7-11. Yup, 7-11...In my area, the brand that they have used for many years is "Eight O'Clock Bean Coffee".

As for Starbucks, yuck......no thanks.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Henry, it was terrific and yes they sent out for the sammies in Charleston. I don't know when we had more fun in the diner as we did that day. The crew was terrific and kept us laughing. There was only one sleeper so we all became acquainted very quickly.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry et al - I was in McD the other day for, a cup of coffee and egg McMuffin (probably the least over processed or salted food they have - if you take off the 'bacon'). Amazingly they now have a coffee bar with latte, cappuccino, etc. What is happening to this country?

Coffee back in the 'old days' was good and I am sure it was nothing fancy. On a trip on the Georgian, the waiter taught me a trick I still use today on the train or plane. Put your spoon in the coffee upside down and it will not slosh out when you hit a rough piece of track. My chemical engineer father explained it to me and is called refraction. Well, ok, but it does work.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Palmland, a duh question...if you put the spoon in one of those lightweight cups so that the bowl is up doesn't the weight tip the whole thing over?
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
Palmland, a duh question...if you put the spoon in one of those lightweight cups so that the bowl is up doesn't the weight tip the whole thing over?

My dear, the Louisville and Nashville Railroad would never use lightweight cups. [Smile]

But you are right, it doesn't work as well in a tall paper cup. Harder to keep the spoon turned, but never had it tip - don't really need it once the coffee level goes down some.

What I do have a hard time with is pouring wine. Last trip on the SWC near Kansas City (must have been in the 90mph territory) I got more on the table than in the glass.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Coffee back in the 'old days' was good and I am sure it was nothing fancy. On a trip on the Georgian, the waiter taught me a trick I still use today on the train or plane. Put your spoon in the coffee upside down and it will not slosh out when you hit a rough piece of track. My chemical engineer father explained it to me and is called refraction. Well, ok, but it does work.

That was one train that did not last to A-day that probably should have. The C&EI got permission to discontinue their portion (Chicago to Evansville for those who were not around to know who the C&EI was and where it ran) late 1967 or early 1968. The L&N portion did last to A-day, but since the line to Chicago was broken as only a shadow of its former self. I recall the Birmingham ticket agent saying that before that day over half the tickets they sold were to Chicago and beyond. Yes, that was the Humming Bird, but from somewhere in the late 50's to 1960 on the Bird and Georgian were combined north of Nashville. Right up to discontinuance it normally ran multiple sleepers and coaches.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Yes George, the action at Nashville around midnight was impressive. The L&N had switchers at both ends of the train shuffling the cars for both trains. It is amazing with the amount of switching the Pullmans made it to the right city. Now it is a big deal for Amtrak to do any enroute switching.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not drink coffee at home but do sometimes when traveling. I really like the Green Mountain Coffee served on eastern trains of Amtrak and find the Green Mountain decaf esp good for a decaf. (I like even more their vanilla flavored coffee, which also comes in decaf, but you do not see that on the trains.) I am not a big Starbucks fan--too bitter for me--so when I to have to go to a Starbucks, I usually have chai latte (spiced tea with milk and sugar) and have them make it with skim milk. I don't mind Folgers and Maxwell House, but personally I prefer Chock Full o' Nuts in this price range. "Better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy" (Did you know the original commercial said Rockefeller, not millionaire, but the ad makers had to change it? At least, that's a bit of trivia I once heard.)
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When all else fails....Kahlua!

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page