RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Maple Leaf

Author Topic: Maple Leaf
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the rolling stock on this train the same as we will have encountered on the Lake Shore last year?
Is there a reason why full dining car facilties are not offered on this and the Adirondack? 12 hours seems quite a long time to go without "proper food?"

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
63-64 Maple Leaf offers Coach, Business Class (usually an Amclub with 2-1 seating), and Cafe (sandwiches, beer, soda pop).

There is no Midland Pullman over here, Mr. MGT (rode it during 1986; Golden Arrow during 1971)

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr Norman!
I am not belittling Amtrak's efforts. I was surprised to somewhere that it operates with something like 650 passenger cars, which presumably explains why there is little flexibility in peak travel times. We have really enjoyed the hours spent on the overnight trains. I used to enjoy dining at my seat, 2nd class, between Edinburgh and Leeds on the Queen of Scots pullman whose cars in the early 60s were still operated by separate compnay from British Railways. When we lived in Hamburg we always looked forward to the 'real' breakfast on the boat-train from Harwich to Liverpool St! And we travelled on the Brighton Belle at the start of our honeymoon!

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be worse. They could still run the Maple Leaf with the Amfleet I's, which have more seats and less leg room. Amfleet II's also have seats that recline further and have leg rests. This seems most appropriate since, like you mentioned before MGT, the ride is 12 plus hours long.
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoop
Member # 4607

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Hoop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the Maple Leaf once from Toronto to Albany, and NEVER AGAIN. The cafe attendant was completely overwhelmed. The line was never shorter than 7-10 people. They ran out of most food by half way through the trip. [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

Any train longer than a 5 or 6 hour trip really needs a formal dining car.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Thanks Hoop. We will make sure we take pleny of victual with us. Even though we are British we are not mad keen on 'standing in line!'
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoop -- when was your bad trip on the Maple Leaf? We will be taking it from Toronto to Albany also in a couple weeks, on our trip.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoop
Member # 4607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was on 12/30/06.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Maple Leaf is a miserable train for anything more than about two or three hours. It is scheduled to take more than 12 hours from Toronto to New York, and it is rarely anywhere near on time. For a ride of this length it should provide first-class accommodations and proper dining services. At best you may find 2/1 business class seating (or not) at the end of the snack car that provides such luxury edibles as hot dogs and fast food items. I live in Toronto and have taken it several times to Niagara Falls which is tolerable, but I would never recommend this train for any longer distance.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Gee, thanks! I'm really looking forward to that trip now.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page