RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train #3 CANCELLED

Author Topic: Train #3 CANCELLED
Kendall
Member # 7176

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Kendall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received a voicemail left at 11:22 pm EST by an Amtrak representative informing me that the train I am supposed to board tomorrow in Chicago has been cancelled and I will be bused to Kansas City MIssouri where I will transfer to a train to take the rest of the way to LAX. The trip from CHI to LAX was supposed to take 43 hours. Does anyone know how taking a bus from CHI to Missouri will affect that timeline? [Confused]

Namaste,
Catherine

(I tried to call Amtrak's service number but there's a 58 minute wait)

--------------------
Catherine
Make the rest of your life the BEST of your life!

Posts: 7 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Kendall, review train #3 at this site:

www.amtrakdelays.com

Since there is no direct Interstate highway from CHI to KC, time will be lost.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sitting in the Amtrak lounge in Chicago and train 5 has been canceled for today, no alternative transportation. [Eek!]

And I came in on the Empire last night on the SP tracks. [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likely, Mr Smith, you mean UP (ex C&NW) tracks vice SP.

For a while it appears there will be a "Builder 400" operating over ex C&NW routes that have not seen a passenger train well...WELL before A-Day.

BTW, the Twin Cities 400 got away from me, but the SOO Line Winnipeger did not.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm back in Houston and you are right Mr Norman. It was the UP line. BTW, if any of you were taking pictures of the re-route, I may have you on film as I was taking pictures of the rail fans as we passed by them.

I'm posting my raw trip travel log under a separate heading.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak continues, as it has for over two weeks, to report 5 and 6 running Denver - Emeryville, and busstitution Chicago - Denver.

3/4 are LA-KC, with busstitution KC-Chicago.

It's been on the Amtrak website pretty consistently now.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, Kendall, when you said in your post that a voicemail was left for you at 11:22 p.m. EST, I think what you meant was that it was left at 11:22 p.m. EDT. The Eastern Time Zone in the United States switched from Standard Time to Daylight Time on March 9th.

The only other possible explanation for your remark--an extremely unlikely explanation--would be that you're an anti-Daylight-Saving-Time zealot (which I am myself, by the way), and that you take your zealotry to the point of insisting on naming every time in Standard Time year-round (which I don't do, I suppose because I lack the necessary conviction and courage). In that case, your "11:22 pm EST" would mean 12:22 a.m. EDT.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Paulshore, I would suggest a careful review of the Uniform Time Act of 1966 for a definition of Standard Time

After having completed such review, you may choose to modify or withdraw your immediate posting..

mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume, Mr. Norman, that you're referring to the portion of the Uniform Time Act of 1966 that states that Daylight Time "shall [. . .] be the standard time of [the nonexempt portions of a given] zone during [the prescribed] period".

The somewhat careless use of the word "standard" in this phrase of the legislation does not, however, change the fact that it is customary, and undeniably useful, to distinguish between Eastern Standard Time readings and Eastern Daylight Time readings by referring to the one as "(such-and-such a time) EST", and to the other as "(such-and-such a time) EDT". The same principle applies to other time zones in the United States as well.

Note, by the way, that when we switch over to Eastern Daylight Time, it's not that genuine Eastern Standard Time ceases to exist: it's still there in the background, ticking away, the reality behind the fiction. And in fact Eastern Standard Time continues to exist in the foreground in some Caribbean countries that do not observe Daylight Saving Time, as was also the case in some parts of Indiana until just a few years ago. This visible coexistence of EDT and EST during the Daylight Saving Time portion of the year is one more reason that it's important to distinguish between the two times by using the two different appellations. It would make no sense to refer to both of them as "Eastern Standard Time" when in fact they're an hour apart.

If someone wants to refer, in a generic way, to whatever the prevailing time is at a given place in the Eastern Time Zone on a given date, he or she can just say "Eastern Time" or "ET". That is an acceptable generic identification. Using "Eastern Standard Time" or "EST" as a generic identification is mainly the province of unperceptive individuals who for the most part, I think, simply like the dramatic and authoritative sound of the word "Standard" without really knowing what it means. Such a usage is confusing, contrary to custom, and frankly rather foolish.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mpaulshore:
The somewhat careless use of the word "standard" in this phrase of the legislation does not, however, change the fact that it is customary, and undeniably useful, to distinguish between Eastern Standard Time readings and Eastern Daylight Time readings by referring to the one as "(such-and-such a time) EST", and to the other as "(such-and-such a time) EDT". The same principle applies to other time zones in the United States as well.

Indeed it is, especially for those of us overseas. Since 2007 the US now puts its clocks on and back at a different time to most of the rest of the world and for those of us (like me!) who work for an international corporation it is a nightmare trying to arrange eg a conference call during DST months as we invariably have to go back to ask whether our US colleagues really mean "10.00 am EST" or EDT!!
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time is an interesting subject. Prior to 1883 (in the US), there was no system of standard time, and each locality used the local solar time. It was the railroads that created the need for standard time zones.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Thanks, RussM, for that stunning new information.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on, let's play nice, or I'll clock you all with a big Breitling pilot watch set to Zulu time.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Even though GMT has now been superseded by the term UTC, apparently the term Zulu noted by Mr. Kisor remains active.

http://www.dxing.com/utcgmt.htm

Having grown up in Greenwich (CT that is), I can remember exploring Atlas pages and asking "Mommy, what happens when we go East or West of Greenwich?"

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Zulu" is much easier to say than "UTC" and that is the chief reason for its survival.

Raw aviation weather forecasts use Zulu ("0800Z") but translated forecasts will say "0800 UTC."A telephone weather briefer will always say "Zulu" and so will the military before it embarks on another international misadventure.

As for the Zulus, they can say "Zebra" if they like. (Some professionals think "Zebra" eventually will become the norm.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliett
Kilo
Lima
Metro
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victory
Whiskey
Xray
Yankee
Zulu

"been out (of service) forty years'; still remember 'em all.

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

And that alphabet's precursor:

Able
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
George
How
Item
Jig
King
Love
Mike
Nan
Oboe
Peter
Queen
Roger
Sugar
Tare
Uncle
Victor
William
X-ray
Yoke
Zebra

It was, I understand, changed because some of the words were difficult for non-English speakers to pronounce properly. Too bad. I memorized this alphabet in 1944, at age four. No idea why, except there was a war on and my dad was at sea.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's the law enforcement version also....

Adam
Boy
Charles
David

etc, etc...(although some PD's use the military version)

[Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before 1883, there were at least 300 different time zones in the US, based on local solar time. If the time, in Chicago, was 12 noon, it would be 11:50 in St Louis and 12:31 in Pittsburg.

As an amateur radio operator, I still use the term "Greenwich Time" or GMT. I have wondered if it would be good if RR's adopted GMT or UTC time. However, to say a train arrives at "1600" would force a person to figure out the local time and adjust if it is standard or daylight time. Then there is the problem, such as in Ariz and Indiana, where there are areas which do not observe daylight savings time. In all, probably not worth it.

Here is an interesting article on the railroad watch. Apparently, a difference of a watch being off 4 minutes resulted in a severe train accident involving fatalities. Thus, a new standard for the railroad watch:

http://people.timezone.com/msandler/Articles/ClitheroeRailroad/Railroad.html

With regard to the phonetic alphabet, I always use the list posted by Mr. Norman..however, I thought "m" was mike and "v" was victor.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ellenorigby
Member # 9414

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellenorigby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to write those down, I work in another area of transportation and have small occasions to speak on a police radio and I get tongue tied trying to think of alpha, bravo etc to tell a trooper someone's license plate.....yikes.
Posts: 16 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's the Army version

Alfa
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliett
Kilo
Lima
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Whiskey
X-Ray
Yankee
Zulu

My favorite is how people doing simulations want local=exercise="simulation zulu" time. Fortunately, some real world command and control systems demand operation on a single time standard and that is: Zulu.

Looks like all the Western LDs are operating by Sunday [Smile]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ellenorigby:
I have to write those down, I work in another area of transportation and have small occasions to speak on a police radio and I get tongue tied trying to think of alpha, bravo etc to tell a trooper someone's license plate.....yikes.

Here's the full list:

Adam
Boy
Charles
David
Edward
Frank
George
Henry
Ida
John
King
Lincoln
Mary
Nora
Ocean
Paul
Queen
Robert
Sam
Tom
Union
Victor
Xray
Yellow
Zebra

Just don't try to make stuff up as you go, because it sounds pretty stupid. When I was a 911 supervisor, citizens would try to sound official and they would try to spell things phonetically, saying things like, "That's S as in Super Glue, M as in My next door neighbor, I as in It's a beautiful day, T as in Tomato, and H as in Howdy Doody". It made for some free entertainment occasionally. [Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Now that we all know what time it is and how to say it, maybe we had better return to the subject of Alpha Mike Tango Romeo Alpha Kilo . . .

Ain't thread creep entertaining?

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:

Ain't thread creep entertaining?

I think so (and apparently you do, too).
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, thanks for stating the old list. In High school I was in the Civil Air patrol cadets and we were trained by an air force Captain. Your list is the one we used. I could only remember up to George. So it brought back memories to me.And now back to trains
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Smitty195, oh, you bet! We're lucky to have a moderator who's laid back about thread creep, unlike the rigid and anal gauleiters of certain other rail boards.
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How would someone in the U.S. pronounce Quebec for Q. In Canada it is usually pronounced Kebec which is perhaps why in Canada Q is usually Queen.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Kwebec, like Kween? We Yanks tend to pronounce things the way they look. For instance, a certain cut of steak is often pronounced "fillet migg-non," causing the French to wince.

The Brits do pronounce and spell things their own way, too. The Danish "Helsingor" is "Elsinore" and "Kobenhavn" is "Copenhagen."

And we also say "Am-TRAK." (Just keeping this thread on the straight and narrow, you understand. :-)

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Qwa beck. In Texan.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by royaltrain:
How would someone in the U.S. pronounce Quebec for Q. In Canada it is usually pronounced Kebec which is perhaps why in Canada Q is usually Queen.

Yes, it's "Kebec" if following the US Military method of pronunciation (with emphasis on the first syllable).
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it should be K as in knife and P as in pneumonia (from and old Nichols and May radio skit).
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page