RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » We leave tomorrow for our trip!!

Author Topic: We leave tomorrow for our trip!!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we leave tomorrow PM and are looking forward to our trip. I am not looking forward to the 10-hr bus ride from CHI to KCY though on the SWC (which continues to run 5-6 hrs late into L.A.) Hopefully service will be restored by Wednesday, but I doubt it.

Again here is our itinerary:
June 30-31 WPK to NYP on #98
June 31-July 1 NYP to CHI on #49
July 1-4 CHI to LAX on #3 (bus from CHI to KCY)
July 4-7 visiting family
July 7-8 LAX to SEA on #14
July 9 SEA-MVW on Cascade, tehn visiting friends
July 13 MVW-VAC on Cascade
July 13-July 16 VAC to TWO on VIA Rail
July 17 TWO to ALB on #64
July 18 ALB to NYP on Empire Service
July 18-19 NYP to WPK on #91

If anyone will be on any of these trains, let us know and look for us!!!!

I'll be on line tomorrow AM, but then I will be off-line for a few weeks!

Railroad Rich & Mrs. Railroad Rich

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like quite a trip. I look forward to your report when you get home and am particularly curious about how the Coast Starlight and Canadian will be for you.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sinclair
Member # 5155

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sinclair   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, great trip, I'll look forward to hearing how it was [Smile]
Posts: 14 | From: Dingwall, UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:

Again here is our itinerary:
June 30-31 WPK to NYP on #98
June 31-July 1 NYP to CHI on #49
July 1-4 CHI to LAX on #3 (bus from CHI to KCY)
July 4-7 visiting family
July 7-8 LAX to SEA on #14
July 9 SEA-MVW on Cascade, tehn visiting friends
July 13 MVW-VAC on Cascade
July 13-July 16 VAC to TWO on VIA Rail
July 17 TWO to ALB on #64
July 18 ALB to NYP on Empire Service
July 18-19 NYP to WPK on #91

If anyone will be on any of these trains, let us know and look for us!!!!

Mr. Rich, it would appear that the reporting of your itinerary as quoted above needs to be perfected. Possiibly this is what you intended to report:

June 30-July 1 WPK to NYP on #98
July 1-2 NYP to CHI on #49
July 2-4 CHI to LAX on #3 (bus from CHI to KCY)

If I were not entertaining Dinner guests evening July 2, I'd "come on down' and hook up with the Kimmel's. Also MP 274 on I-55 (Rte 83) is not quite as convenient as is my MP 18.34 at which to observe your passing.

Have a great one; wisely you have included enough 'breaks' so as the journey should not become a marathon, such as some of our younger members report they undertake.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great time. You will love the Canadian. Your report will be eagerly awaited.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm jealous that you are taking the Canadian. One of these days I will finally get up there and take it. For now, I have written off Amtrak so I would fly to/from Canada. I've been a loyal supporter of Amtrak since 1980, but my recent experiences with them have left me very bitter about their mismanagement and poor behavior among their employees, as well as poorly maintained and filthy equipment. I never thought I would stop being an Amtrak passenger.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rather then taking the unspeakable bus from Chicago to Kansas City, if there is accommodation available, why not take the Texas Eagle to Los Angeles as it would appear (according to Amtrak) that the Eagle may be the only transcontinental train not currently affected by floods.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Royal, July 2 is an "off-day" for the Eagle originating in Chicago.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the correction, Gil!

Royal -- I looked into leaving a day earlier and taking the Texas Eagle from CHI to LAX, but no can do - -everything was SOLD OUT for those days!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess by now you have departed. I do hope that when you eventually reach Vancouver, you will have a great trip to Toronto on The Canadian.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow you've got quite the expedition ahead! Have a great time!

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page