RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » East Coast trip ideas?

Author Topic: East Coast trip ideas?
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've got about 25000 Continental OnePass miles that I haven't used in twenty years and probably never will, and I'm thinking of transferring them to AGR points and heading to the East Coast with my nephew in tow for about a week. (He's 9.) I'm thinking of leaving on a Friday morning, overnight layover in New Orleans, catching the Crescent up to Washington arriving Sunday morning, then 2 nights each in Washington, Philadelphia, and New York City before catching the Saturday afternoon Crescent back home for a Monday evening arrival in Houston.

The time for this is up in the air; it can't be any earlier than October (when I get my vacation for the coming year) so I'll have to work it around his school schedule (shouldn't be a problem). Any suggestions on the best time to make this trip would be welcome—he's never seen snow, but maybe it would be smarter to wait until spring. So, questions:

Hotel recommendations? I'm not at all picky, but I don't want to take any chances with my nephew. Don't plan to rent a car, so proximity to public transport and Amtrak stations is nice. Budget is very much a consideration.

Recommendations for kid-friendly activities in the destination cities? I do want to do the Civics 101 tour in DC (Arlington, Natl. Archives, etc.), Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in Philly, and Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island as well as either a Broadway show or Radio City Music Hall in NYC.

Schedule tweaks? Philly may drop to a 1-nighter. Probably add another day in DC; don't think I can afford 3 nights in a NYC hotel.

Any other advice? I've been to all three cities but the last time was nearly 20 years ago; helpful suggestions welcome.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric--

You are a good Uncle! I'm betting you both will have a great time wherever you head.

I've transferred points/miles several times in both directions with Amtrak and Continental. I just checked, though, and they've tightened the "rules" a bit. To do this you now have to be Select or SelectPlus OR have the AGR card from Chase. I hope you fit in one of those categories. It's a good way to burn up miles.

Frank in almost clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
I've transferred points/miles several times in both directions with Amtrak and Continental. I just checked, though, and they've tightened the "rules" a bit. To do this you now have to be Select or SelectPlus OR have the AGR card from Chase. I hope you fit in one of those categories. It's a good way to burn up miles.

No, I'm afraid I don't fit any of those categories, although I guess I could apply for the AGR card. Do you have a link for the rules so that I know what hoops I have to jump through?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, in DC if you only have a few days I wold skip Arlington and get a bus tour for MT. Vernon instead. The new visitor center there is absolutely super.The exhibits and movies are excellent and just seeing the house and grounds is a lesson in itself. Also I would include the Capitol building. It is most impressive. If you request in advance you can get a pass from your senator or rep to watch congress. Of course they may be on vacation (no!!) or the 5 people on the floor may be reading while someone talks but at least he will see what its like. You might check out the Hotel Harrington. I know they put a lot of school groups there and it always was basic, clean and not too expensive.maybe someone on the forum has more knowledge about that hotel as we obviously never use them. I would opt for spring but not cherry blossom time only because if 4 flakes fall the district and environs go into a massive panic.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PHILADELPHIA!! It's often an overlooked city. Independence Hall...it sent shivers up my spine to be in the same room in which the founding fathers drafted the piece of paper that created this vast country of ours. I'd be surprised if you and and your traveling mate weren't as impressed as we were...and we're from Boston! It's a city you can get around in on foot, be sure to stop by and enjoy.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here a couple of hotel suggestions in the DC area that will save you some dough......or at least hassle -

1) Olde Towne Inn in Manassas, VA. It's an old Motor Hotel kind of place that's three very short, level blocks from the train station and it's modestly priced for that part of the country. Rooms are a little smallish and you'll have to call them directly to book as they are not part of a chain. You could catch the southbound Crescent back to Manassas Sunday evening and then use the Virginia Railway Express commuter trains to get into town Monday and Tuesday.

2) The BWI Airport Red Roof Inn is a short distance from the BWI Rail Station. They have a courtesy van that will drop you off for free at the train station each morning.....may even pick you up for the asking but a cab might be quicker.

3) My personal favorite but it's going to cost more.....around $100.00 per night.....is the Henry Clay Inn in Ashland, VA. You would have to commute to and from DC on the Amtrak Northeast Corridor trains as Ashland is just 10 miles north of Richmond.....however, the Henry Clay is a recreation of the traditional railroad hotels and it is literally across the street from the Amtrak station. You could request a room with a view of the tracks BUT if that's not good enough, they have a front porch with lot's chairs too. Nothing like getting your wake-up call at 6:55am from the northbound Auto-Train!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you think about it the entire eastern seaboard from St.Augustine to Maine is crammmed with history. MUch of it is available via train.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ready to go now! You all have got me excited about an east coast trip. I've been to NYC and DC but never spent more than a night in Philadelphia. And, as I've told train lady offline, most of Virginia is unknown territory for this California boy.

Eric--

There should be a link on the AGR website to the card. I THINK it is a card that doesn't have an annual fee but be sure to check it out first. I don't use it much since I've become addicted to my Southwest card. They have, I believe, the best, most customer friendly program for domestic travel.

Frank in dark SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Well, did a little more digging. If we do it, it will probably be Easter week. The good news is that that's when everyone will be in Washington for the cherry blossom festival; bad news is that EVERYONE will be in Washington for the cherry blossom festival! So hotel rates will be at their highest all year (save only Inauguration).

Looking at routes coming home, I see there's a choice of three: Crescent NYP-NOL, overnight layover, Sunset NOL-HOS; Lake Shore NYP-CHI, Texas Eagle CHI-LVW, Bus LVW-HOS; Regional NYP-WAS, Capitol WAS-CHI, and then Eagle/bus to home. I've never been on the Capitol or the Lake Shore and my only trip on the Crescent was in 1984; does anyone have any comments on the merits of the respective routes?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a few other things that haven't been mentioned that a 9 year old would enjoy:

DC - Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, US Mint

Balt - Catch an early season game of the Orioles at the downtown, rail friendly Camden Yards. See the B&O Transportation museum

Philadelphia - Franklin Institute Science Museum

NYC - Empire State Building, Boat tour around Manhattan or Carriage ride in Central Park, FAO Schwartz toy store

For the train ride part, I would stay in the east since you don't get this way too often. Take the Crescent into NYC. Then work your way south to Phila and Washington. Depart on the Capitol (much nicer that the LSL).

From Chicago take the City of New Orleans for another look at the south and avoid a bus ride from Longview. In New Orleans you can either take a same day flight on Southwest or Continental back home for less than $100 each or spend the night and return on the Sunset. Gives you a full day in Chicago to see the sights. Also I suspect the fare for a roomette on the CONO will be far less than the Texas Eagle.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Palmland there is no mint as such in DC. I think you mean the bureau of printing and engraving. Also I think a 9 year old would enjoy the new spy museum.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
And ride the Staten Island Ferry for great views of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline. And it's free! (Or at least it was the last time I was there.)

Frank in foggy SBA

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks train lady - I did mean the money place. Tell you a family story about that some day
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20th Century
Member # 2196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20th Century     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If possible visit the Amish country in Pennsylvania. Amtrak stop is Lancaster. Unfortunately you will need a car to tour the area. If you want some fine traditional dining in Philly try City Tavern. It's a throw back to the Colonial era (menu and decor).
Posts: 498 | From: New Hope, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Eric, for DC you may want to check out the tourmobile. They do have (or used to ) a tour to Mt. Vernon. also it is very convenient around town.You can get on and off at all the important places and a mobile runs every 5 minutes. I don't know the price now but here is a toll free # and you can get all the info you want. If the weather is bad you don't have to fight the elements. 1888 868 7707
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
I was thinking of the DC Gray Line tour; it stops both at Mt. Vernon and Arlington cemetary.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
so does the tourmobile unless they have made recent changes
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
OK, this plan is back on the front burner. I may be adding my mother and 16 year old niece into the mix as well. Some further questions:

What are the chances that we can snag four seats fairly close together on a midmorning Regional from WAS-PHL and from PHL-NYP?

Totaling up all the AGR points, I have enough for a bedroom and a roomette one way, probably from NYP-HOS via WAS and CHI on the Capitol Limited. However, the CL currently shows that all bedrooms are booked for our most likely return date. Do I a) snag the family bedroom plus a roomette while I still can or b) hold out hope for a cancellation? (Or c: book two roomettes and save the points for the next trip?)

Do the Broadway shows generally play through Easter week, or do they take Thursday and Good Friday off as the symphony apparently does?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, two questions I can answer. Regarding Was-Phl, you should have no problem getting seats near each other. In fact have a red cap assist you and get first choice of seats. Regarding Phl-Nyp, If it is the middle of the week, no problem. If it is Sat. morning you probably will be lucky to even find 2 seats together. Either way when boarding a NB regional train in Phl, board towards the front of the train for best seat availability.

Regarding the BR for the Capital, if you are looking for next spring, I would almost guarantee that something will open up. I can't see all those reservations holding firm this far in advance, JMHO.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you don't do Grey Line in DC, you can still get to Mount Vernon by public bus. Schedules can be found in www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/south.htm 30 minute to one hour intervals, but two routes from WMATA's Huntingdon Station. The routes show on WMATA's web site, but the schedules do not. The route numbers are 101 and 151/152. 101 is fairly direct and terminates at Mt. Vernon and the 151/152 are loop routes. Since it has been 30 years since I lived in that part of the country and 12 since I was last there even briefly, I can really tell you nothing otherwise. There is a WMATA bus route 11Y which runs up the George Washinton Parkway, so it would be a pretty ride, but it is a rush hour only direct into DC.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip! Weather may be a bit cool for Tourmobile in Wash DC that early in the year, but you can hope...

As a resident of suburban PHL, I heartily recommend Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. The tour of Independence Hall is fascinating, and you get to see the room where both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed. It's appropriately furnished, including George Washington's chair with the rising (or setting) sun emblem.

Probably the best way to get around in PHL is the PHLASH purple buses that loop through downtown and can take you to anyplace you might want to see. The new Constitution Center just north of Independence Hall is very much worth a visit, and (surprisingly) good for kids the age of your nine-year-old.

For hotels, try the Society Hill Hotel or the Hampton Inn on Arch Street. There's also a suite hotel of some kind in Chinatown (think it may be a Clarion now) that's usually a good price, and well located.

From PHL, you've got lots of choices of trains to NYP or WAS. For seats, try the front of the train in either direction, or (if the kids can keep quiet) the quiet car.

I'd definately second going to NY first, then to PHL and then to WAS, and returning via Chicago on the Capitol. Scenery is great, Superliners are nicer, and the sleeper fares are usually MUCH less than on the Lake Shore. From CHI, I'd recommend CONO to NO, then either train or fly back to Houston. A night in New Orleans that time of year will be VERY nice. There's a very nice Comfort Inn (I think) in the Warehouse District that's a real buy.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric,

My wife and I stayed at the historic Union League in Center City Philadelphia a few month ago. You are close to everything historic. The Union league is itself, one of the most historic inns in the city and maybe the country. A bit pricey, but you only live once. Take a look at their site at: http://www.unionleague.org/the-inn-at-the-league.php

You can spend a week in the Philadelphia area and maybe even get out to the Main Line and Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square. You won't believe your eyes.

Good luck and enjoy your East Coast visit.

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boston -

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

The site for the Freedom Trail in Boston. A 2-3 mile walking tour of Historic sites.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page