RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Need Help with Trip Planning

Author Topic: Need Help with Trip Planning
Mark R
Member # 9509

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new to LD train travel and I am planning to fly into Chicago and take a big cicle tour on the following three trains. The Empire Builder,the Coast Starlight and the Southwest Chief. I am thinking of going the first weeks in October but that is not mandatory if there are better times. I want to know which direction I should start in, Empire or Chief to get maximum senic views for most of my trip. I will of course use sleeper service but I am not planning to stay in any hotels between trains. Is this trip possible?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Mark, it is possible to make a "no hotels" journey other than at LA for your proposed 11-LAX-4 connection. If you wish a same day connection, you must use 11-MTZ-712-BFD-3712-LAX-4 and miss the Coastal scenery in favor of "if you've seen one Big Agra farm, you've seen 'em all".

But I would strongly suggest "spacing out journey"; after all what is the goal; ride trains or see the Western US?

Your choice to use Sleepers is indeed wise; but a few $$$ for en route hotels (I'm sure local knowledge at this Forum can poiint you to properties <$200 in any major West Coast city) will ensure you don't become zombied snd start commenting to yourself in a mirror "why, WHY, am I doing this?".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark R
Member # 9509

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark R         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciate that advice but it was total trip time as much as cost that dictated the lack of layovers. I am not that familiar with the train numbers but I believe you were suggesting that I start the trip with the Chief going WB and finish with the Empire Builder. That being the case, if I did want to commit to more time what are the optimum trains for viewing using that route if there are any departure times that really make a difference for that. Again, thanks for any advice or suggestions you may have,
Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to make an overnight layover in LA "on the cheap", I can recommend the Hollywood Travelodge; it is strictly "no frills" but is fairly close to downtown and is very low priced ($50-$75/night). We stayed there in 2006 with an extended family of 11 and would stay there again if in LA on a budget.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took this trip in April '07---Eugene to Portland on a bus --Empire Builder to Chicago with a one night stay downtown---Southwest Chief to LAX and same day boarding on the Coast Starlight back to Eugene. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I would have spent one more night in Chicago and at least one night in Los Angeles. There is just too much to do and see in Chicago and after so many days on the train I was tired of the rails by the time we got back to Eugene. A night in LA would have made things better. I did however enjoy that trip very much.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might suggest the trip we took last winter which sounds like it could meet your bill of fare. Empire Builder (Chicago-Portland) Coast Starlight to Santa Barbara (overnight in SBA) nice Holiday Inn Express near station. Then next afternoon catch the Surfliner to LAX or Fullerton and you will meet the SWC for your eastbound trip to Chicago. Of course you could also take the Coast Starlight on into LAX and stay there as suggested. We like SBA and plenty to occupy your time until the afternoon Surfliner leaves around 2:00 PM.
Have a great trip.
Railroad and Mrs. Bill

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might consider the California Zephyr rather than the Empire Builder. The mountain scenery from the Zephyr is far, far more spectacular. The first two days on the Builder are comparatively boring, especially the second day across the High Plains.

Then you could take the Starlight to Santa Barbara, thence the Surfliner to Los Angeles or Fullerton, and return to Chicago on the Southwest Chief.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question of scenery on the CZ and the EB will always provoke discussion. On the CZ on the first afternoon you get several glimpses of small-town US which to a foreigner are interesting. Certainly from Denver to just beyond Gelenwood Springs is spectacular, unbelievably so. From Grand Junction to Helper tends to be dry, flattish semi-desert with its own fascination. Truckee up past the river and lake is again glorious secenery. However the descent to the west of the Sierra Nevada, is disappointing as the conifers obscure most of the views. This is also true travelling by car.
Last Year we missed the Chicago-St Pauls stretch on the EB because of the Wisconsin flooding but I should imagine it is every bit as interesting as the first leg of the CZ. I was not sure what to expect from North Dakota and Montana, at least as far as Browning, but it was interesting, rolling plains but by no means pancake flat, great skies, glimpses of the Missouri. From then the distant mountains becoming ever closer and in the summer light, certainly as far as Whitefish, real mountain scenery. The mountains also continue next morning, almost Alpine like in the variety of trees and rivers. Puget Sound rounds off a truely enjoyable journey.
I prefer the EB, my wife the CZ. So there you have it!

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is more daylight for scenic portions of the Empire Builder going eastbound, and this will be a concern in October. Specifically, the Glacier Park area on the first morning and the Mississippi River east of St. Paul (on the left side). These might be in the dark westbound, especially if the train is late. Sunset on the Columbia Gorge out of Portland is also magnificent.

You do run the risk of missng a connection if it is same day and the train is late. The Empire Builder and Southwest Chief are two of the most reliable choices for being close to on time, but anything can happen.

Southwest Chief scenery (mountain and high desert) is excellent in both directions, but the Zephyr is the most spectacular.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a "First" trip I would STRONGLY suggest the CZ westbound out of Chicago to Emeryville. But that will necessitate an overnight stay in EMY to catch the CS down to Los Angeles. Which will again require another overnight for the eastbond SWC. Those were the trains we took on our first transcontinental foray five years ago and still our favoite. The first class OB service on the CS has been upgraded and they serve deleightful "lighter" fare in the Pacific Parlor Car. We enjoyed "Pacific Bay Scollops in Creamy Chardonay sauce with rice and a vegetable medley" washed down with a crisp Washington State Chardonay for dinner the first day of our trip from Seattle. For the second night, your segment, the Parlor Car Menu included, "Beef braised in a port and goji berry sauce" along with the requisite rice and vegetable medley and "Farm styled zinfandel braised chcken with artichokes and olives" again with the ever present rice and vegetable medley.
I realize this routing goes against your stated plans, but for a "trip of a life time" that's the route...in our opinion.
Best regards, and have a wonderful trip.
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The above post makes a good suggestion.....if you want to save a few $$$$ and don't mind an early wake-up call, you could leave the California Zephyr in Sacramento, spend the night in the moderately priced Vagabond Inn directly across the street from the train station, and pick up the southbound Coast Starlight at about 6am the following day if it is on time.

This arrangement would save extra money if you go coach on the Starlight.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page