RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coupons?

Author Topic: Coupons?
cuterlt
Member # 9404

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuterlt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where in the world do people get the Amtrak coupons they sell on ebay? Are they just folks who have a rewards account with amtrak and they earn them? or are there some to be had somewhere for free on the internet?
Posts: 9 | From: Albuquerque | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What type of coupons are they? Are they coupons such as upgrade coupons, Club Acela coupons, and things like that? If so, you get those when you reach certain levels with Amtrak Guest Rewards (Amtrak's frequent "flyer" program). I'm Amtrak Select Plus (their top tier), and the coupons they give me are almost useless because I live (and travel) on the west coast. Those coupons are geared towards people who commute on their NorthEast Corridor trains and who live/travel near stations that have a Club Acela or Metropolitan Lounge. The only Metro Lounge on the entire west coast is in Portland, Oregon. The only train I can use an upgrade coupon on in California is the Surfliner. Up north it would be the Cascades services. But here in the SF Bay Area, they are worthless. That's probably why people sell them.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before entering into a transaction regarding rewards program coupons, I would want to be satisfied whether or not such are transferable. If they are marked non-transferable, somebody could be caught "holding the bag" - and it likely will not be the seller.

I've never used e-bay for anything in this life; accordingly I have no knowledge to what extent they police the site to determine if whatever is being auctioned is lawful for someone to sell? (or that scope of the policing would only detect the obvious; "hey I got a "Key' for sale...") If yes, then I guess go place your bets. If no, then "adios amigos'.

I can recall during my first term as Moderator over at RRNET, someone posted that he wanted to sell an Amtrak Travel Voucher he was awarded during the Warrington-era "satisfaction guaranteed" program. This fellow was going to purchase a short distance revenue Coach ticket to be used by the buyer while the seller had the Voucher-generated ticket lifted and the buyer had same with the Coach ticket. After the lift, the seller and buyer would change places, and the seller would be gone at the revenue ticket's station. Obviously, the whole thing was a ruse designed to generate cash from a document that was clearly marked non-transferable as well as no cash value, and I could only pity the buyer if caught in the act (the seller was of course "gone').

I think one can guess how long that material remained posted after I had knowledge of such.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruckTrains
Member # 6938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruckTrains   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Gilbert

--------------------
Train Horns&
Air Horns

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at my coupons they are not marked "not transferable" but they do say "no cash value, not valid for resale". I know I could have used either one (10% discount or one-class upgrade)for my friend's ticket as I called to ask that question. But to sell them? Just not nice I think.

I do agree with you Smitty, not much use for us in the West. I could have taken 10% off my recent Surfliner trip for which the initial cost was $14.45. Not really worth the loss of the ability to buy the ticket online.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should also be noted that the only sources from which Amtrak transportation may be purchased is either from Amtrak or its authorized agents. Same of course applies to air transportation, with of course the carrier in place of Amtrak.

"Once upon a time' persons "stuck" with a non-refundable air ticket would consider placing classified ads for its resale. I think that practice came to a halt when airlines required passengers to be positively identified before boarding - and that was in place since roundly 1995.

However, I should defer to others to what extent anyone attempts to re-sell air or Amtrak transportation today at the various resale sites, such as E-Bay, craigslist, et al.

Miss Vickie, it would certainly appear "fair game' to gift your unused reward coupons to whomever you choose.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention on my Canadian trip report that i got a 50% off VIA rail coupon on ebay. I figured for a couple of bucks it was worth a try, and sure enough the code worked. I had a small feeling that something would go wrong when i picked up the ticket in toronto, but everything went off without a hitch. not sure who the seller could have been. makes me wonder though.
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page