RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Superliner Sleeper "Indiana" Damaged?

Author Topic: Superliner Sleeper "Indiana" Damaged?
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A link provided by TrainWeb that lists what Amtrak equipment is active or damaged contains a note that sleeper "Indiana" was burned on the City of New Orleans. Does anyone have any info or has anyone seen this car recently? The only City of NOL accident that seems to fit the facts was in May in Mississippi when it struck a garbage truck. The engine was burned according to articles I have found online but no mention of passenger car damage. Any info would be appreciated.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is strictly from memory, so I hope I have this correct.....but it's my understanding that the sleeper and a few other cars on that train were damaged from heat. The windows were melted, hoses melted, and anything else that could melt was damaged also. But this is going from my memory, and heck, I don't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning!

I'll do a search on another website and see if I can find the specifics on it.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I found it....it wasn't the crash with the garbage truck---it was a different crash. Here is a copy/paste of the info:

April 23, 2007

City of New Orleans, Train 59(22) with AMTK 180 struck a trailer
being pulled by a pick up truck with a diesel fuel bladder at
Sledge, 55 miles south of Memphis TN. There were no injuries to passengers, crew or vehicle driver. Maximum authorized speed is 79mph. The diesel fuel bladder was ruptured and there was a fire that destroyed the vehicle. As a result of the smell from the diesel fuel and the fire, the train was terminated and alternate transportation provided. The buses could not reach the scene due to its remoteness, so the train was moved 16 miles to Lambert where passengers were transferred at a public grade crossing.

Snack packs and complimentary beverages were loaded onto the buses and distributed to passengers.

Equipment deadheaded to New Orleans for inspection and repair of what appeared to be cosmetic damage only. However Mechanical found melted rubber window moldings on Transition Sleeper 39038, Sleeping Car 32070, Diner 38030 and Lounge 33000. Cars were removed and sent to shop for repair. Without sufficient equipment remaining for turn to Train 58(24), New Orleans added equipment from Train 2(20). Train 2(22) is planned to turn to Train 1(24) but as noted in a later thread, it is already over ten hours late and getting later.

Delay at crash site: 2 hr 23 min; transferring passengers, baggage and snack packs: 1 hr 20 min.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sleeper 32070 "Alabama" vice "Indiana"

http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/AmtrakSuperliner/

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Thanks for researching that, GBN.

In looking at the page you linked to, the "Indiana" sleeper (32082) does not show any damage.

SilverStar: Can you provide a link to the web page you were looking at? That might help to clear up the confusion. Thanks.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We rode in Bedroom C on sleeper "Alabama" from Mt. Pleasant, IA to Salt Lake City, UT back in 2006. Glad it's out of service; they probably never did fix the leaky shower in the bathroom that we complained about!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The information about this is contained at the top of this web site which is hosted by TrainWeb: http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/AmtrakSuperliner/
Next to car 32082 there is no mention but the top of the page above the Superliner roster, it says:
Note: 32082 + ? burned on CNO #59 5/27/08 Crystal Springs MS - awaiting further info
I appreciate everyone's help but it appears this is the garbage truck incident not the one that damaged the Alabama...assuming the above is correct. Back when we had a ticket agent here, I could have enlisted help in searching consists for the 32082. Now without Amtrak service locally, I hope someone else can watch for the "Indiana".

Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
32082 "Indiana" was definitely burned in the accident. There was a photo of the burn damage in a (local) newspaper. There was nothing about the other 4 cars listed above, thus the website note 'seeking more info'
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A link provided by TrainWeb that lists what Amtrak equipment is active or damaged contains a note that sleeper "Indiana" was burned on the City of New Orleans."

Silverstar: can you furnish that link please???

Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Pismobum: If you click the link I provided in my last post (right above your two posts), you will see a note about 32082 right below the title "Amtrak Superliner". It did say car 32082 + ?now it also lists several other cars likely burned.
I hope info comes out regarding how badly the equipment is damaged.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will the owner of the site Mr. Silver Star is referencing please stand up?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
32082#"Indiana" Burned 5/27/08 Crystal Springs MS
Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page