RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Going to Sacramento

Author Topic: Going to Sacramento
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im going to take the Starlight on Sunday to Sacramento, probly the first and last trip for me this summer but its still good and im glad to be going, Ill try to get some pix up quik when i get back, wish me luck [Smile]

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God to hear from you again, Jonathon. Good luck on your trip. Your pictures are always excellent, and we are looking forward to seeing them.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TwinStar invoked a diety,
But you'll hear naught of that from me.
No bagpipes or ponies in the lounging car
No mooners with their pants ajar.
I do hope you are delayed enough
To get some pictures of cool stuff.
And post them when your trip is done
Not in some deeply theological tome
But here, on this list 'bout train and track.
I appreciate your photography knack.

Hey TwinStar': what are you doing up at 4:17a.m. writing stuff that makes me do a poem this early? I ain't even had no breakfast yet.

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! thanx from you bolth, very cool poem, I wasnt exspecting that, awsome, ..just a few more hours till I board hehe!

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4:17am Trainweb time is 6:17am here, but still too early to spell gude. But if it provokes a poem from Ira, I will misspell more often.

By the way, I seem to have just acquired a form of spell check while typing a forum reply. Words spelled incorrectly are underlined in red as I type. I just upgraded my Firefox browser, so this may be a new feature. I doubt that Trainweb added this, because Trainweb is underlined as a misspelled word.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ISP, Comcast, offers a Google spell check; it is just as well as Outlook Express 7 has linked their spell check feature to that within Office. If you don't have Office, "sorry Charlie" (I don't; I grew up with Lotus).

The Google feature works quite well here at the Forum, however, I could potentially cause myself some embarrassment. Recently I was composing a private e-mail unrelated in any way to railroad affairs. I wanted to ensure correct spelling, and since Outlook no longer has spell check for everyone, what was I to do?

I pasted the message here in the reply field and ran the Google feature to review it. However what I next did was wrong. I inadvertently hit the "add" key, and, voilla, my private e-mail (family matters) was posted here at the Forum for the world to read!

I think twenty minutes elapsed before I detected the error; no one here chose to reply to it.

Bill Gates, I know you want to feed starving children nowadays, and I applaud you for so doing. But to remove a feature that had been part of all prior Outlook versions simply to force a user into purchasing $600 of otherwise unneeded software, escapes me.

disclaimer: hold position in MSFT which is "goin' nowhere'.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
I too grew up with Lotus, Mr. Norman, and still have Release 5 on my PC. Many claim it was the best performing software ever made, until they dumbed it down in the late '90s to make it compatible with Excel.
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I want to do a spell check it is a simple matter to do a copy and paste to Word, perform the spell check and then paste it back to Railforum. Or you can compose on Word, spell check and then cut and paste it to Railforum.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I post on Railforum spellcheck seems to be part of the program. Curiously, Railforum is one of the words that is not in the vocabulary and it turns up highlighted. I am using Safari as my browser. Does that make a difference?

And, of course, there is always the old-fashioned method of proofreading. I'm dismayed by the number of errors in periodicals and books that I see that are clearly the result of relying on "spell check" rather than knowing how to spell or apply simple rules of grammar and usage.

Of course, I know how to spell gud. (It caught that one!)

Frank in still overcast SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Safari also, and I think the spell-check is part of Safari but not part of Railforum. If you get a red-dashed line underneath words that are not spelled correctly, I'm pretty sure that's Safari doing it's thing.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Evidently Safari and (Mozilla) Firefox browsers are now providing built in spell check while entering text. I do not get that feature when I use the IE browser at work.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page