RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » amtrak to annapolis?

Author Topic: amtrak to annapolis?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you wanted to take Amtrak south to Annapolis, would you get off in Baltimore, New Carrolton, or Washington DC to make a change (perhaps next day) for a bus? Is there any way to go by MARC or light rail or something like that, or must one take a public bus?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MTA Maryland operates commuter bus routes 921, 922 and 950 to Annapolis; the latter two go to Washington DC, whereas the first route listed terminates at New Carrollton's Metrorail station.

The last time there was a train to Annapolis was…not sure, but there used to be a branch off the former B&O (now MARC's Camden Line); there is still a location on maps called Annapolis Junction.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had found all these buses but wondered which was most convenient for an Amtrak user; also was confused by the literail.

Further investigation suggests way to get to Annapolis is none of above; I should get off at BWI Airport and take a shuttle! The Annapolis info site recommends that, and a lightrail from downtown Baltimore to the airport and then the shuttle if one is coming from Baltimore! I will have to see what those shuttles are like, pricewise, because it's about 1/2 hr ride.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner:

I'd go with the shuttle from BWI. It's really not very far at all from there to Annapolis. The commuter buses run at rush hours only, inbound (to Wash and Balto) in the morning, out in the evening. You're likely to find the shuttle has a more flexible schedule.

Rail service to Annapolis was provided most recently by the Baltimore & Annapolis Railroad, which ran trolley service from Baltimore into the early 1950s and continued to run bus service (along with freight service on the remnant of the rail line) for some years. The Baltimore light rail line to Cromwell Road uses the former B&A ROW, and in fact the ROW is intact as a biking trail almost all the way to Annapolis, and the new MD 450 bridge over the Severn River has been designed to accommodate light rail tracks...so the B&A (aka "Bumps and Agony") could return.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like shared van service costs $39 one-way.
Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Yes, the price is very high compared to the bus, ESPECIALLY if my husband comes with me, since it's a per person charge. OTOH, rresor, you are right, the shuttle seems to be much more flexible, meeting any train, and taking riders straight to their hotel. Still, I think I will try to use the bus (from New Carrollton, unless I'm in DC or Baltimore) at least one way; I will use the shuttle if I come or go on a weekend.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, is your husband as allergic to renting autos as are you based upon what you have established here at the forurm?
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page