RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » More talk on Southeast High Speed Rail

Author Topic: More talk on Southeast High Speed Rail
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the 'Trains' newswire - I'd settle for a daylight version of the Crescent.

NEWNAN, Ga. - U.S. Sens. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) and John Kerry (D-Mass.) announced a proposal to build a major high speed rail line connecting the Northeast and South, the Atlanta Times-Herald reported. Speaking at the Newnan Rotary Club, the two said the line would connect Birmingham, Ala., to New York via Atlanta.

Several high speed routes have been proposed in the country, but other than the Northeast Corridor between Washington and Boston, none have pushed past the proposal stage. But the senators said a change is coming to the country's transportation system, and that high speed rail will be a part of it.

Isakson advocated changing the way railroads are financed in the U.S. He said funding should be done more the way highways are funded, where the government provides basic infrastructure and private-sector users provide a mode of travel.

He cited the lack of oil as the reason a change needs to be made. "The day of $10, $20, $30 a barrel oil is over," he said.

Maybe Kerry is shooting for Secretary of Transportation.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, I would HIGHLY doubt if Sen-for-Life Kerry is aiming for a SecTrans appointment in a possible Obama administration. The chair simply has had too long standing a history as merely a political reward.

Lest we note, Gov. Tommy Thompson (R-WI) would certainly have been as qualified as any designate since the SecTran chair was established by LBJ. However, Gov Thompson "delivered" Wisconsin to Bush during 2K - he expected more of a reward - and got it with H&HS.

Patrick, if your agency receives funding from a Local jurisdiction, such as a County or Township, chances are good that represents Federal "revenue sharing". Those funds are part of H&HS Federal appropriation.

Somehow, if Sen. Kerry were to relinquish his Senate seat in favor of an Obama appointment, I'd bet he would have State, Defense, or Treasury in mind.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably right Mr.Norman. I wonder if Gov. Richardson would be in the running? Although I suspect he too sees himself more as Sec. of State with the ad hoc diplomacy he seems to pursue.

In that vein, I heard Sen.(R-TX) Kay Bailey Hutchinson's name again as possible VP for McCain. If not that she would be a more probable Sec. Trans. in a Republican administration.Texas Eagle fans should be happy if that happens.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
However, Gov Thompson "delivered" Wisconsin to Bush during 2K - he expected more of a reward - and got it with [Health and Human Services].

Just helpin' ol' GBN make sense for those who are not Beltway cognoscenti.

"H&HS" does sound like a short line, doesn't it? The Hackensack & Hacky Sack, perhaps.

Twitting aside, I agree with GBN.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Probably right Mr.Norman. I wonder if Gov. Richardson would be in the running? Although I suspect he too sees himself more as Sec. of State with the ad hoc diplomacy he seems to pursue.

In that vein, I heard Sen.(R-TX) Kay Bailey Hutchinson's name again as possible VP for McCain. If not that she would be a more probable Sec. Trans. in a Republican administration.Texas Eagle fans should be happy if that happens.

Hutchinson is said to be interested in being Texas Govenor...
Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
NEWNAN, Ga. - U.S. Sens. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) and John Kerry (D-Mass.) announced a proposal to build a major high speed rail line connecting the Northeast and South, the Atlanta Times-Herald reported. Speaking at the Newnan Rotary Club, the two said the line would connect Birmingham, Ala., to New York via Atlanta.

Political hot air not worth wasting time thinking about. maybe a study will be funded, and then it will be back to business as usual.

Every place that has built any high speed lines already had significant rail passenger traffic in the area where the high speed line was built. That includes the Northeast and the plan in California. When they fund improvements and extensions to the existing services Northeast to Florida nad Northeast to Atlanta and beyond, and ridership surges as it most likely witt, then and only then may something of more significance be likely to happen, but most likely not in my lifetime.

As for Sen. Kerry for any political office, I will only say [Frown] [Mad] [Eek!]

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page