RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Passenger Stabbed While Sleeping

Author Topic: Amtrak Passenger Stabbed While Sleeping
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
A 24-year-old man was stabbed while sleeping on an Amtrak train just south of the Oregon state line.
More (same article, two links):

Oregon News

National Terror Alert

Yet another reason NOT to travel coach....

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a piece of work this guy was. Probably some gang-banger who felt "disrespected".

At least the victim wasn't decapitated.

Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the article.

yes its probably more likely these things would happen in coach, but they can also happen anywhere--passengers can be attacked in the lounge or dining car.

the passengers are sure lucky this bozo didnt use the loaded gun he had with him.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While this incident establishes "such happens", violent crime aboard Amtrak trains is quite rare.

Let us hope reason prevails and that this incident does not result in mandatory hand baggage searches prior to boarding.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the reasons I like sleeping behind a locked door.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that violent crime aboard Amtrak trains is rare. So, although it does happen, is petty crime.

So long as a passenger riding a long-distance train is sensible about concealing valuables, such as video players and cameras, he can be confident that his belongings will be left alone.

That said, I keep my hand on my wallet everywhere I go. But that's just me.

And now for the world's newest refrigerator magnet: "Such Happens." (Nudge, GBN, nudge!)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I echo the sentiments of Messrs. Bowen and Royal.

I realize that some here seem to enjoy open Section sleepers as are offered in Canada. Others here have suggested the shared room accommodations such as Couchettes found overseas are quite OK.

As I recall, there were open Section sleeper lines up to A-Day with the UP Butte Special and L&N/SCL Gulf Wind being two such coming to mind. However, Amtrak has never operated such and after an incident such as this, rare notwithstanding, would never consider such.

VIA may even start thinking twice.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming this was on the Coast Starlight?

Mentions Eugene so could be either Starlight or Cascades. But victim was taken to Klamath Falls so this is why I'm assuming the Starlight.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was the Coast Starlight, train #11.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
It was the Coast Starlight, train #11.

Thanks for the confirmation.

What's up with the Starlight and jumping off? Interestingly a few months more then 20 years to the date, a similar jumping incident happened during a trip in 1988 when my family chartered the private car (Louisa) from Los Angeles-Portland.

Somewhere past Mount Shasta, a man jumped from the lounge car (he opened the downstairs door) and fell down a steep embankment. I remember this because the train had no rope but the private car has a long hose. So they lowered the hose to the guy and pulled him up. We waited for an SP MOW crew in the area to come with a Hi-Rail to take him away to the authorities. He surprisingly wasn't visibly injured, but he also was supposedly high on PCP so he could have been injured and didn't show it. Interesting memories, and I think we have the rescue/arrest on video tape too. One of these days I should convert all those old train trip videos and post them on YouTube.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a case on Greyhound recently where someone was actually decapitated in a random attack?
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yuck.
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr williams:
Wasn't there a case on Greyhound recently where someone was actually decapitated in a random attack?

Yes. In Canada.

Please, no pictures.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Greyhound decapitation incident took place on an overnight bus ride between Edmonton and Winnipeg. There is also tri-weekly train service on that route on Via's Canadian.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point being that such random attacks are, in fact so rare, that an incident like that made the news in the UK.

If you don't go looking for trouble, you are highly unlikely to find it.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page