RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Question for you NEC experts

Author Topic: Question for you NEC experts
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking at a trip next year, LA-CHI-BOS. Then cruise to Quebec City, VIA to Montreal, Adirondack south. Amtrak reservations selects the Capitol Limited to DC and then the 178 Northeast Regional to Boston. Alternate route is LSL to Albany and 5 hours of bus to Boston. Gets there earlier but I think I prefer the all train route.

The 178 does not appear to have any checked baggage. We will have our two weeks traveling bag that we have brought from LA. Is there a place to put it on the 178 train?

Amtrak further suggests I go home by leaving the Adirondack at Schenectady and taking the LSL. Looks like no baggage car on the Adirondack either. Where does my luggage go there?

This looks pretty workable. We could take extra time in Boston (the spouse has never been there) or even DC I suppose.

Any words of wisdom? Should I not discard the Albany bus choice?

Any comments on the VIA part? That looked pretty straight forward. We would spend a night in Montreal (for a few million bucks I imagine).

Since the LSL crosses two zones how many AGR Points are needed for the sleeper? Or should I just use them for the SWC parts?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you must have somehow misread the proposed itineraries on the website. The Albany-to-Boston segment would be accomplished on a train, not a bus, specifically train #448, referred to somewhat confusingly and illogically in the reservations system as the Lake Shore Limited. (One could try to clear up the confusion a bit by referring to #448 as the "Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited", except that it's not a section because it's never joined to the Lake Shore Limited: it's simply a separate train.) Train #448 does not carry any sleeping cars: it only has coach seats and Business Class seats. Perhaps you saw the word "coach" somewhere in the itinerary and mistakenly assumed that it was talking about a bus.

Fortunately, train #448 does carry a baggage car, which means that you can check your bags from Los Angeles through to Boston South Station. Actually, you could check them through to Boston even if you chose to take the Capitol Limited and Northeast Corridor train #178 to get to Boston: the baggage would in all likelihood just proceed directly to its destination on trains 48 (the Lake Shore Limited) and 448. It wouldn't matter that you weren't on board those trains with it. I should add that there is a slight chance that, if you were traveling on the Capitol Limited and #178, the baggage people in Los Angeles might, if left to their own devices, send your bags by way of Washington, in which case they'd go up to Boston on the overnight train (#66) and arrive a few hours later than you did; but to eliminate that possibility all you'd have to do would be to let the L.A. baggage people know that you definitely wanted the bags routed to Boston directly, by way of Albany.

My recommendation would be that you go by way of Albany as well. You'll have a more time-safe connection in Chicago; you'll spend fewer hours of your trip in non-sleeping-car accommodations; and you'll get to see the lovely and underappreciated scenery of western Massachusetts, following a route that is probably more in danger of losing Amtrak service than the admittedly also-lovely Pittsburgh-to-Washington portion of the Capitol Limited route is.

Regarding Guest Rewards points, your most economical use of them would be to go by sleeper all the way from Los Angeles to Albany (or to Washington) eastbound, and all the way from Schenectady to Los Angeles westbound. Doing this, your overall one-way trips (i.e., Los Angeles to Boston eastbound, Montreal to Los Angeles westbound) would count as three-zone sleeping car trips, although they would each contain one unavoidable non-sleeping-car segment confined to a single zone. Note, by the way, that if you went eastbound by way of Albany, your three-zone point cost for sleeper travel would also entitle you to Business Class seats from Albany to Boston, as opposed to ordinary coach seats. (If you were to go by way of Washington, I'm not sure whether your three-zone sleeper point cost would entitle you to better-than-coach seating--i.e., Business Class, Acela Business Class, or Acela First Class--on a Washington-to-Boston train.)

I think it would be fair to say that all of Amtrak's coach cars have at least reasonably generous space for carry-on bags, so I don't think you need to worry about having room for all your luggage on the Adirondack. After that train, you'll be able to check your luggage through from Schenectady to Los Angeles. If something were to go awry and your connection in Schenectady ended up being too tight to allow for baggage-checking, you could just carry the bags on board with you, and check them from Chicago to Los Angeles the following day.

Finally, one note about accommodations in Montreal: for great convenience, as well as to splendidly celebrate the concept of tight integration between rail travel facilities and urban environments, you should strongly consider staying at the now-weirdly-named "Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth Hotel [sic]", built directly over Montreal Central Station.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I sure learned something new. I did not know that #448 (Boston section of the Lakeshore Limited) was a completely separate train from #48. I always assumed that they were one train that was then "split" in Albany (sorta like the Empire Builder does in Spokane). That's interesting.....Didn't #448 used to have a sleeper?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Vickie, it appears that Mr. Paulshore has "covered all bases"; the only possible suggestion is that if you and Mr. Art care to try out Acela. You would connect 30-WAS-2172 (4PM).

Acela is quite the ride and is clearly Amtrak's "best foot forward' anywhere; it saves about 1.5hr over the Regional Wash-Boston. However there is the downside; fare in Coach (whoops, Business) is roundly double that of Regional; treble if you choose First Class. Since I have no idea how the Guest Rewards plan works (I'm signed up, have some 2225 points - "point chasing" is not one of my pastimes), they may not allow redemptions for Acela travel,

To continue, here's new name for 448-449: "The Berkshire Bullet' in honor of its "expeditious" schedule and stellar timekeeping. Mr. Smith, the Boston Sleeper was killed when through cars were no longer interchanged after October 2006; such became a third NY-Chi line.

Finally, likely you noted the website also lists a CHI-30-PGH-42-PHL-94-BOS itinerary. While volk such as our Montana Jim might find such quite OK, it is simply unacceptable to me and is likely why I no longer use Amtrak for my journeys to the New York area. Somehow, I think you and Mr. Art would agree.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mpaulshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train #448 used to be the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited, traveling all the way between Chicago and Boston and splitting off or joining on at Albany. It consisted of two or three long-distance coaches, a sleeping car, a lounge car that, on the portion of the trip between Albany and Boston, also offered full, though microwaved, meals ("tray meals", in Amtrak's parlance), and a baggage car. This arrangement ended some time ago, however, and 448 became a simple day train between Albany and Boston, with coach cars (including some Business Class seating), a cafe car with only ordinary offerings, and a baggage car.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mpaulshore - Only a bus was offered for the Albany to Boston part of the trip. See the Amtrak routing here:

4 Southwest Chief Los Angeles, CA
- Union Station
(LAX)
6:45 pm
21-SEP-08 Chicago, IL
- Union Station
(CHI)
3:20 pm
23-SEP-08 42h 35m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage, Onboard wheelchair ramp 2 Reserved Coach Seats

48 Lake Shore Limited Chicago, IL
- Union Station
(CHI)
10:00 pm
23-SEP-08 Albany-Rensselaer, NY
(ALB)
3:40 pm
24-SEP-08 16h 40m Dining car, Lounge, Checked baggage 2 Reserved Coach Seats

3448 Bus
Albany-Rensselaer, NY
(ALB)
4:10 pm
24-SEP-08 Boston, MA
- South Station
(BOS)
9:45 pm
24-SEP-08 5h 35m Checked baggage 2 Reserved Thruway Seats

I had to use dates at the end of this month so perhaps the train was full or not available? The actual dates planned are more than 11 months away so I cannot use them yet at the Amtrak site.

In reference to the AGR points - three zones, 35,000 points. That includes fare and accomodation for both of us, correct? Seems that is how it worked when I used some last May for the CS.

I do hear you all talk about the untimeliness of the LSL but I guess that would not be an issue on the connection to Boston?

Regarding checking bags - I prefer not to do so. I am used to the Western trains, there is adequate storage space on the lower level to keep the bags in the sleeper car. I don't know if that is true on the one level Eastern trains. But I would not be adverse to checking them through to avoid sclepping them around for three separate trains.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Vickie, I think you just happened to pick a date when CSX has scheduled trackwork over the B&A. When I researched the material submitted in my immediate posting using an April 09-09 date, Train 448 was scheduled to operate.

If you choose to use #48 Lake Shore and plan on using Roomettes, then you will find there is additional storage space within the Viewliner version. Such is over the hallway in an overhead bin or sorts. It is a "push" to get bags up there, but then that is why there is a car Attendant.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Gil, I see a notice in the timetable that 448 and 449 may not operate Sunday through Wednesday for about two months beginning March, 2008 due to track work. Apparently the two months has stretched out a bit!

I also see that one can board the LSL early in CHI and get snacks. That's nice.

Keep October 2009 in mind Gil, perhaps we can have dinner inbetween the SWC and the LSL.

By the way, the email notice of replies to one's thread is not functioning. I notified the web master.

--------------------

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a fantabulous trip, Miss Vicki.

On the LSL, usually it's a shuttle train between Albany and Boston as MPaulShore describes, but sometimes Amtrak is forced to substitute a bus for this reason or that (trackwork, for example). When that substitution occurs, you don't find out about it until much closer to the time of travel, maybe just a couple of weeks before. I don't know why there is a bus substitution for Sept 23 but check out Sept 12 or 26, there is no bus on those days.

If you do take the east-of-Chicago part of your trip on the Lakeshore Ltd, I recommend you get business class on the shuttle part. Even if you have a sleeper, the business class is extra; however, this is a crowded little train and I think you will be more comfy with business class esp with your luggage; it doesn't cost that much more. . . .

The real problem with taking the LSL eastbound is the very late arrival time into Boston, esp if the LSL happens to be late into Albany from Chicago (as has been known to happen tsk tsk). For that reason, I do think you should consider the DC route that is being suggested. It does mean more changing, but you have the potential for a few hours in DC, always nice! And the LSL from Buffalo to Albany is fairly un-scenic most of the way--you do get some nice Mohawk views if you are on the right side facing forward eastbound after about Utica maybe--but nothing so scenic as the part of the (main) LSL you are going to miss (Albany to NYC, assuming it is still light!). However, the shuttle ride EAST of Albany to Boston (again assuming it is still light!) IS, as MPAul mentions, a pretty little trip across the Berkshires on a very historic old track (designed by Whistler's father); however, the trip from Washington DC to Boston is also quite nice in spots, esp east of New Haven CT to about Providence, i.e., around New London/Mystic/etc (be sure to sit on the right side facing forward for these views, and also the views of Philadelphia/art museum/boathouses AND the Newark Ironbound (not pretty but interesting) AND the glimpses of NYC after NEwark, BUT go into the lounge car or something to be on the LEFT side when you leave NYC (after the tunnel I mean) and cross the Hellgate Bridge for the view back at the city; also, right after you get out of the tunnel into queens, you can see Sunnyside Yards; AND this is the Valley of the Ashes, sort of, if you know Gatsby). And the Capital Ltd from Chicago into DC is quite nice the second day; Harpers Ferry VA station is one of the most gorgeously located little stations in Amtrak system IMO. All assuming it is light, of course . . . but eastbound you should be.

The main problem with going eastbound via DC is of course that it's possible to miss your Chicago connection, because the Capital Ltd leaves Chicago earlier than the LSL. It's unlikely to happen if you are taking the SW Chief from LA, since that train has a pretty good "track record," but you never know!!! And for that reason, you do want to build yourself a little Amtrak "cushion" to ensure you don't miss your cruise and get royally screwed. Boston sounds like a good place to build that cushion; i.e., stay at least 2 nights just in case there is some snafu, or better yet 3 nights before cruise day. (OR, as you mention, you might stay a night or two in DC and then 2 in Boston, always remembering DC can be icky hot in summer, but not necessarily, depends on your luck--but bring shorts, sandals, etc . . . . Also remember, if you stop in DC for a night or two, you cannot then resume using Amtrak Guest Reward points for the same amount, i.e., the points are the same to DC or Boston, and do not include stopovers) Also, if you do not have a sleeper (or ACELA FIRST CLASS, very very high price) on the day of travel, you cannot use the ACELA lounge in DC, which is the fanciest of em all. Should that be the case, I recommend you go into the ACELA lounge at DC's Union Station when you ARRIVE on your Cap Ltd sleeper, just to freshen up (showing your ticket) and see the place!!! Also, if you take an ACELA train from DC and have an Amtrak Select upgrade coupon, that's a good train on which to try to upgrade to 1st class . . . but I think you have to do it day of travel, so you may not be able to, if it's busy)

(I hope I am being clear here!!!)

Note, too, that if you take the LSL eastbound from Chicago (with a sleeper), you will not get dinner the first night (no idea what happens to Boston passengers second night, box dinner?). However, sleeper passengers can preboard in Chicago (the people in the Metropolitan Lounge will tell you to be back there by 8PM but you'll be lucky if they let you on the train by 8:45) and be able to go into the dining car for wine n cheese n grapes. Frankly, given the state of Amtrak food these days, I like that better! It's fun meeting the passengers! If you do preboard, be sure to go to the dining car for the wine n cheese n grapes (check with the car attendants) i.e., I don't think they make an announcement, and the sleeper attendant may forget to tell you about it. . . .

As regards luggage, you can use a Red Cap in DC, NYC, Boston (and Chicago; when debarking the train, tell your car attendant you need a REd Cap and they can arrange it; when boarding, just ask for one in lounges or when you see one (i.e., in Boston, you can just hail one, in my experience)--of course, you do need to tip, but they are usually quite helpful. Don't worry about luggage on the NE Corridor (or ACELA) trains; the Red Cap will generally preboard you, and have him leave your main luggage at floor level at the end of the car (rather than up top over any seats, very heavy to get down); I do it all the time. Of course, keep your valuables with you (inc any cruise jewelry) in your purse or whatever; but it's highly unlikely anyone will take your suitcase. But DO travel light, and don't try to be TOO glamorous, luggage-wise, if you know what I mean. I know cruises usually require you to take more clothing, and some fancy duds, but try not to bring too many of em . . . make it easy on yourself!

In Quebec and Montreal, I cannot remember if there are porters in the train stations, but if you stay in the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth in Montreal right upstairs from the train station (gare), the hotel's porters used to be willing to take your luggage to and from the station, I'm told--you can check. Por une pourboire (sp?), of course. I do know that Amtrak trains tend to be rather far down the platform from the place you come down or up into the station, though (my husband calls the walk from train to escalator there the "Amtrak Mile") so you may want to find a trolley for luggage, if there is no porter).

The train ride south from Montreal is IMO the prettiest East of the Mississippi. If you are going only as far as Schenectady, you will see Lake Champlain and only the Upper Hudson. Remember, you HAVE to sit on the left side facing forward southbound--if there is a porter, have him put you there! If not, just get there early to get such a seat. (IF that doesn't work, try bribing or killing other passengers!) In the Montreal train station, any day but Sunday, Premiere Moisson has a place with excellent food to take on your southbound trip (I recommend a pate sandwich on a good bread with those little pickly things, I'm blanking on the name, and maybe an almond croissant). OF course, after a cruise, food may be the last thing from your mind, but the food in Quebec and Montreal is pretty excellent . . .

Montreal has some splendid stuff to see, and I cannot tell you what a splendiferous city Quebec City is, Miss Vicki. So I heartily recommend you stay an extra night in Quebec before catching the VIA Rail to Montreal. You might try joining Fairmont's President's Club and booking in the other elegant old rail hotel, the Chateau Laurier (I think that is name) in Quebec. Maybe if you book there and the Queen Elizabeth, you can get a special rate, I don't know . . . I can also recommend some less expensive hotels in Montreal (not cheap, but less expensive) but you will then have taxi fares. . .

If you are NOT staying an extra night in Quebec, you might look into the possibility of a cruise from Boston straight to Montreal (with a full-day stopover/excursion in Quebec, of course)--Holland America used to have one.

I am going to Boston in the very near future and will report back on the reasonable hotel recommended here, the Chandler Inn; also on the LSL shuttle (we are going via NYC but taking the LSL westbound only, business class, but going as far as Albany only; usually westbound it isn't late!). I sure hope to heck there is no bustitution for us!!! Mr Sojourner will NOT like that at all; in fact, we might then change and return whence we came (via NYC, I mean).

Bon Voyage!

PS the one low-light of your trip will be the exchange in Schenectady; it's a tiresome little station, Albany is much nicer.But the Adirondack, which travels right on the edge of the waters, has been known to be late too, and they are afraid you won't make the connection in Albany, which is why they have you detrain in Schenectady. Stay in the station, it's not the greatet neighborhood on Erie Blvd there (though you'll be fine in the station).

You know, you COULD take the Adirondack all the way to NYC, stay a night there, and then go home from there (instead of the DC option discussed above). Even more money, of course--hotels very exorbitant in NYC, what with much of Europe taking advantage of the ridiculously low dollar to come shopping . . . But sometimes in summer (or after New Year's in winter) you can get a better hotel rate, esp weekends.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Adirondack you will be able to stash your luggage in open shelves at the end of the car - I try to sit facing that area so I can keep an eye on my bags. I would opt to try to connect in Albany - the Schenectady station is very small & there is nothing nearby to tempt one (unless you have time for a snack at Pinhead Susan's - one of my favorite restaurant names). If you plan to connect in Albany & that connection appears to be in doubt, they would probably have you jump ship at Schenectady.

Having said that, Albany station is very nice & new & pleasant to wait in, but again there is nothing nearby - even less than Schenectady. There is one small cafe in the station as well as a convenience store (and a post office).

If you do detrain in Schenectady & go downstairs to the station, be prepared to ride the world's slowest elevator. There is absolutely no sensation of movement & Amtrak has finally posted a sign to reassure passengers that they are in fact making progress toward the lower level in spite of what they may think/feel.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did some checking about the baggage on 178.The only nec regional that has checked baggage to Boston is #66. It leaves DC at 10 PM and gets to Boston at 7:25 AM the next day. When we go up to Ct there has never been checked baggage because where we get off there is no such thing. So it means dragging our bags with us. There is space at the back of the car and also some in front where you can leave big bags and an overhead rack for smaller ones, coats etc. Now we always go business class so I m not sure what the space is like in regular coach.I keep a carry on or tote at my feet so I don'thave to keep getting up every time I want something from it.This is the train that used to carry sleepers.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for that information. I'm not sure how that slipped by me without noticing. By chance, do you know when the Boston section of the LSL became just a day train?

quote:
Originally posted by mpaulshore:
Train #448 used to be the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited, traveling all the way between Chicago and Boston and splitting off or joining on at Albany. It consisted of two or three long-distance coaches, a sleeping car, and a lounge car that, on the portion of the trip between Albany and Boston, also offered full, though microwaved, meals ("tray meals", in Amtrak's parlance). This arrangement ended some time ago, however, and 448 became a simple day train between Albany and Boston, with coach cars (including some Business Class seating) and a cafe car with only ordinary offerings.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miss Vickie,
I'm a little behind in this conversation, but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents worth: another way to get from Chicago to Boston that I didn't see mentioned yet is to ride the LSL all the way to NYP and then take Acela to Boston from there. Because #448 is sooo slow, you actually get to Boston only slightly later, and have the advantage of a Hudson river ride.

On Canada: Sojourner was close, the Chateau Laurier is the old CP hotel in Ottawa; the CP hotel in Quebec is the Chateau Frontenac. Nevertheless, being Fairmont hotels, as is the Queen Elizabeth in Montreal, they are beautifully maintained, but tres cher, as they say in Montreal. You might price out the Hilton in the Place Bonaventure, next door to the station. They have a rooftop outdoor swimming pool which is used year 'round. In Quebec, there are several small hotels in the old town down on the river that would be less expensive.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Black, the only problem with a CHI-48-NYP-???-BOS connection is that there is no same day Acela connection available. In fact the first available connection with Lake Shore @ NYP is to 66 (next day) - something that I think Miss Vickie and Mr. Art would find quite unacceptable - guarantee you I would!

Again I note a quote from another site:

Being a true railfan requires sacrifice...If you were not a railfan you would not be trying to do a journey that Amtrak is actively discouraging. Riding Amtrak is difficult enough even when Amtrak is trying to help

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right, Mr. Norman, I was thinking about westbound. Sorry Miss Vickie, old age and Monday Morning...bad combination! I think my thoughts on Canada are still valid, though.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About Montreal: If you find the rates at the Queen Elizabeth rather high, you might consider the Marriott Chateau Champlain, which is a block away and around the corner from the station and accessible by the underground city. It's well equipped and a unique design. It's recognizable for its circular windows that give it the nickname "the Cheese Grater". They offer really good discounted rates in summer!
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I stayed at the Fairmont Royal York in October of 2007. Not only was it tres cher, but aggressively so; the hotel wanted $12 a day for wireless Internet connection. The amenities, in my opinion, were NOT worth the sky-high price. Sure, it's a nice place, but there are places just as nice for a whole lot less. In my opinion, Fairmonts and their ilk are clever marketing scams designed to soak the naive tourist. Renaming the Royal York for the monarch clearly is intended to attract American tourists ga-ga over British royalty.

End of cynical rant.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mpaulshore
Member # 3785

Rate Member
Mr. Kisor: You're confusing Montreal and Toronto. The Fairmont Royal York is Toronto's connected-to-the-main-train-station hotel, and has carried the "Royal York" name since its beginning in 1929. The Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth [sic] is Montreal's connected-to-the-main-train-station hotel, and likewise has carried the "Queen Elizabeth" name since its beginning in 1958.
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I frequently travel to Montreal and have stayed at the Queen Elizabeth many times I can confirm that there are porters in Montreal's Central Station that will take your luggage directly to the hotel, and the hotel porters will take your luggage to the station. As for Quebec City, the last time I was there I don't recall seeing any porters, but I could be wrong on that point. In 2002 I cruised from Quebec City to New York (calling in Boston)on the QE2 and it was great fun. As others have stated Fairmont's Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City is well worth a visit although it can be quite pricy.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I stand corrected; for some reason Montreal and Toronto got connected in my brain. My bilious remarks about Fairmont hotels still stand, however.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Printman2000
Member # 4338

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Printman2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I remembered reading somewhere where 448/449 were losing their baggage cars.
Posts: 33 | From: Amarillo, Tx | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Printman, the current 448-449 timetable shows checked baggage service offered; however, since Business Class is no longer offered, there could easily no longer be a Baggage Car in the consist and checked baggage stored in the forward end of the Cafe car.

How this train survives, and has not become a permanent busteetoot, simply escapes me

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The baggage car ( and checked baggage had been "temporarily discontinued" for a 6-8 week period in Aug/Sep because of an impending high shop count related to a large number of baggage cars being due for 3 yr air brake inspection, etc. This freed up a couple extra for use in rest of system.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN
The 448/449 does have still have Business Class.

How it survives? --- It is actually quite well used. Especially by college students coming/going from Boston and Worcester. (Also by old folk like me who absolutely will not drive in Boston).

There is Peter Pan bus service between Albany and Boston --- however it costs more and requires a taxi between the train and bus station --- that shortens the trip by about and hour if I recall.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Interesting observation, Ms. Dee; it appears that the website does show 448-449 offering Business Class, however, the printed timetable does not show such being offered.

I relied on the latter source when I made my statement above.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Black--

I was just reading the posts that all have made to Miss Vickie's quest for information and noted a small mistake in your post about the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa. It, and the station across the street were apparently built by the Grand Trunk Railway. Later CP may have taken over operation but that is the story that the wonderful photo display in the hotel tells. Another bit of trivia is that the Railway President who was the moving force behind the hotel never saw it completed. He went down on the Titanic along with dining room furniture for the hotel!

I actually rode on the Grand Trunk from Chicago to Lansing, MI in 1953 while with my parents headed to the Oldsmobile factory to pick up a new 1953 Super 88 four door. Light blue with a white top. Very sharp car. We had taken the El Capitan from Pasadena.

We were in Ottawa for the World Airline Road Race earlier this month. Sadly, the Chateau Laurier was NOT the host hotel.

Frank in sunny SBA

P.S. Do you remember meeting us in Seattle?

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank do you remember the El Capitan as being all coach? I had to go from LA to DC by myself. I was only 9 at the time so Idon't remember a lot but I think there was one coach for woman and children only.That is whereI was.My parents were divorced one living on each coast so I made that trip a number of times and all the rest of the time it was in a lower berth pullman on the chief. Another question, when I was 5 I went from Chicago to Wichita,ks . Also by myself. What train would that have been?
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
train lady, that was probably the San Francisco Chief, the Texas Chief, or the Grand Canyon (Southern Section).

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Mike would there be maps or route gide of any sort showing the route? Also how long do you think it would take to make the trip?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady--

The El Cap was all coach when we took it. And single level. I remember doing a walk through of the double decker equipment at the Pasadena station a few years later. We were a pretty cranky and stinky (I would imagine) lot by the time we got to the Hotel Olds in Lansing. We drove from there to Annapolis for my oldest brother's graduation (He graduated well ahead of his classmate H. Ross Perot) and then drove back to California through New England, Montreal (where my father grew up) and the Northwest. Sadly, my brother was killed in a car accident the next year so it was the last time we were ever all together for a family vacation. He tagged along, reluctantly, in his brand new red MG TD and I remember a mechanic in rural Montana referring to it as "the runt of the litter".

I don't remember the special car for women and children but I do remember the car attendants and the dining car staff being very attentive to this inquisitive 11 year old. I seem to remember going by myself to lunch one day and sitting at a counter.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ms. Train Lady, this appears to be the "best of the bunch" AT&SF map that i can find at the web:

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~24554~900050:Santa-Fe---Poole-Bros-,-Chicago-

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
train lady, I see that Mr. Gil has come to the rescue with a map. Here's what's in my November 1956 Official Guide (and I'm not trying to guess your age!):

SF Chief left Chicago at 4:00 pm and arrived Wichita 3:45 am (663 miles).

Texas Chief left Chicago at 6:00 pm and arrived
Wichita 5:10 am.

Grand Canyon (Southern Section) left Chicago at
12:01 pm and arrived Wichita at 1:45 am.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Frank in sunny SBA

P.S. Do you remember meeting us in Seattle?

Frank,
You're unforgettable! Of course I remember meeting you in Seattle, and enjoying a nice trip East with you. I guess I associate the Chateau Laurier with the CP because it has the green copper roof.

I notice that Train Lady, you, and me, and probably others, have memories of train travel that go back over 50 years ago; do you suppose our love for train travel today stems from that experience and makes us nostalgically romantic?

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Mr. Black I think you are right. Add into that all the hassle at the airport turns me off completely.To me a train is the civilized way to travel. I must say trains too, were much more "civilized" "few" years back
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
Frank do you remember the El Capitan as being all coach? I had to go from LA to DC by myself. I was only 9 at the time so Idon't remember a lot but I think there was one coach for woman and children only.That is whereI was.My parents were divorced one living on each coast so I made that trip a number of times and all the rest of the time it was in a lower berth pullman on the chief. Another question, when I was 5 I went from Chicago to Wichita,ks . Also by myself. What train would that have been?

Never did anything so long, but do remember a couple of greyhound trips Memphis to Jackson TN just my younger sister and myself when in the 10 to 12 age range. It seemed to be quite common then to do such stuff. We were on our best behavior, as well. It was truly a very different era.

To send a child on a trip of almost any length today by rail or bus, forget it. By air, yes but with extensive arrangements.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Thanks Mike and Gil. I was curious as to where the trains went. George I think there are age limitations these days for children traveling alone. When I was traveling there was a stewardess aboard in addition to the porters. She was always an RN. I do remember her coming to get me to go to the diner and also being told not to talk to any one I didn't know.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page