RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Conductors And Trainmen

Author Topic: Amtrak Conductors And Trainmen
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference between an Amtrak 'conductor' and a 'trainman'?

I have an Amtrak conductor's cap with a brass Amtrak logo badge that says Trainman.

I figure a Conductor is above a Trainman, but a Trainman is above an Assistant Conductor.

Thanks,

Dave Sommer

--------------------
I believe in something. I believe I'll take the train.

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak presently has only two Train Operating positions - Conductor and Assistant Conductor. Both positions call for occupants to be Rules Qualified, handle revenue, and be covered by Hours of Service.

The railroads had positions of Conductor Ticket Collector, and Trainman. All were Rules Qualified and under Hours of Service; however a Trainman, of which the normal crew consist required not less than two, did not handle revenue. If a railroad needed additional help with handling revenue then they had to assign a Ticket Collector to handle such.

Trainmen had different titles depending on the road including Baggagemen, Brakeman, and Flagman.

That Amtrak crews an LD train with only a Conductor and Assistant, and both handle all duties inuring to Train service employees, means that Amtrak, under existing Labor Agreements, has gained considerable relief from previous work rules prevalent on passenger trains.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the speedy and thorough answer! Does this mean my brass Amtrak Trainman badge is not authentic?

David Sommer

--------------------
I believe in something. I believe I'll take the train.

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It presumably is authentic. Amtrak used to use both terms and the positions were at an equal level of superiority.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Sommer, until approximately 1978, the railroads provided Conductors, Engineers, and Brakemen to Amtrak; such operated Amtrak trains under the existing Labor Agreements on their respective properties.

Amtrak provided uniforms for these railroad employees; therefore if in your collection you have an Amtrak badge stating Trainman, then in all likelihood such is authentic.

Commencing during 1978, Amtrak assumed employment of Train & Engine employees and negotiated their own Agreements with the Employees; the assumption was complete during 1983.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May I add an "addendum" to GBN's accurate post above; just to say that the RR-provided crews still existed well into the 80s in the divisions out in the western United States aboard Amtrak trains. For example, if you took a ride on the Sunset Limited in 1985 or so, you would have had a Southern Pacific operating crew. The "dam broke" so to speak in 1987, when Amtrak was allowed to put "its own people" into Condr/Assistant Condr. positions in the Los Angeles division, also called "Zone 12." I know this to be fact, as I was the first Amtrak on board service person to receive credentials as an Assistant Condr. in Zone 12. That seniority date was in Nov., 1987. Later on, I left that position for many reasons, yet still stayed in the Service until Dec., 2002.
By the way, it took a bit longer to see engineers come from the Amtrak ranks-- they did eventually, along with many changes in the running rules and union concessions. In the early 80s, I remember the Sunset engineers would change at West Colton, about 60 miles out from LA and Yuma men would take over! The SP condrs and trainmen would change at Yuma. These jobs were based on the old "100 mile" rule. Now the run is 416 miles LAX to Maricopa, AZ-- times have changed! Hope this clears the subject up a bit...

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page