TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Great Dome returns to Adirondack

Author Topic: The Great Dome returns to Adirondack
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Amtrak media relations today:

“GREAT DOME” CAR RETURNING TO ADIRONDACK SERVICE

NEW YORK -Beginning Thursday, October 2, 2008, through Tuesday, November 11, 2008, passengers riding Amtrak’s Adirondack train, which operates between New York City and Montreal, will once again have the unique opportunity to experience the spectacular view afforded by the historic “Great Dome” car between Albany and Montreal.

Named for their design that features an upper level with windows on all sides as well as overhead, dome cars provide passengers with panoramic views of passing scenery. The dome car is temporarily assigned to the Adirondack, and provides views of fall foliage and Lake Champlain as the train travels through upstate New York and across the border into Canada. The refurbished vintage “Great Dome” car seats 90 passengers and is 85 feet long. The dome section runs the full length of the car, an unusual feature, since the more common type of dome encompassed less than half the length of the car.

“The arrival of the “Great Dome” car into New York State is certainly welcome news for our passengers who plan to travel through the Empire region,” said Mike DeCataldo, Amtrak’s General Superintendent, Northeast Division. “I encourage all New York residents and our friends in Canada to take advantage of this rare opportunity to witness and experience train travel in a unique and breathtaking manner,” he added.

The car will operate northbound from Albany to Montreal on Thursdays, Saturdays and Mondays. It returns south from Montreal on Fridays, Sundays, and Tuesdays. No trips are made on Wednesdays. All passengers traveling on the Albany-Montreal segment of the route are welcome to enter the dome car to enjoy the view. Seats in the dome car are not reserved and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

About the “Great Dome Car

The only remaining dome car in Amtrak service, car number 10031, which is a Great Dome car previously used on the Chicago-Seattle Empire Builder when the train was operated by the Great Northern Railway and the Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad (later the Burlington Northern Railroad).

It was among six similar Great Dome cars built in 1955 by the Budd Company for the Great Northern and carried the name “Ocean View,” car number 1391. All six of the cars were conveyed to Amtrak in 1971, with this car first being given the number 9361. It was renovated in 1985, renumbered 9300, and used in daily service on the Amtrak Auto Train to and from the Washington, D.C., and Orlando, Fla., areas through 1994.

According to a website hosted at www.trainweb.org, four others of this series of Great Domes survive. The “Glacier View” is in use by the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway (the successor to the Burlington Northern and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway) as an inspection and theatre car; Grand Luxe Rail Tours owns the former “Mountain View” and “River View” cars and has renamed them “New Orleans” and “Copper Canyon” for their nationwide tours, frequently using Amtrak crews and locomotives. The former “Prairie View” is owned by Holland America Westours and has been renamed “Deshka” for use in Alaska.

Great Dome 10031 is usually used in charter service on the West Coast and rarely operates east of the Rocky Mountains.

About Amtrak

Amtrak provides intercity passenger rail service to more than 500 destinations in 46 states on a 21,000-mile route system. For schedules, fares and information, passengers may call 800-USA-RAIL or visit amtrak.com.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that is something innovative of late.

I wonder why they can't attach the car at Croton-on-Hudson. The Hudson River Valley is a major scenic highlight of the run. Tunnel heights, I suppose.

Too bad the Great Dome will only run for a month.

I wonder if this can be done with other trains?

How many Great Domes would be needed to outfit the CZ?

How about The CS?

Thinking outloud.

-Dave S

--------------------
I believe in something. I believe I'll take the train.

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Henry for alerting us to the dome returning to the Adirondack. I booked a trip on the 4th of October for a long weekend leaving from Schenectady. I missed it last year, and I was determined to do it this time around. I would imagine the ride in the dome will be incredible.
Using priceline to get a hotel in Montreal, the weekend looks to be a good one!

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Sommer, while I certainly agree with you that a Dome could be added to a consist at Harmon, this Dome car operation is being done "on the cheap"; it is the only way it can be considering Amtrak budget constraints.

The Dome is coupled to the P-42 locomotive handling the train Albany-Montreal. The P-32ACDM that handles the train NYP-ALB has to be cut there anyway as Diesel-Electric/Electric engines are too scarce to allow such to roam too far away from where they are needed - roundly Spuyten Dvyll (I did know how to spell it once - in third grade!!!) - Penn. The P-42 and the Dome are then coupled to the consist - no additional switching and definitely no drilling of the consist is needed; as would be the case if the Dome were to be added/cut at Harmon.

To my best knowledge, no Dome has ever operated, NYC or Amtrak, from Harmon in regular revenue service; and I'm not certain what other special moves beyond the 1969 Golden Spike Limited may have done such.

Regarding the two other trains you note, The Coast Starlight requires four sets of equipment and the California Zephyr six.

Finally, even though there are presently two 'sister" Great Domes on the market arising from the Grand Luxe demise. I would guess that someone at some railforum or the other will suggest that Amtrak reacquire them (Amtrak sold them to Grand Luxe) so that Daily year round service can be offered on the Adirondack. My thought: there are too many other places, such as NEC infrastructure, where that money could be better spent.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My only domecar experience was aboard the CP train that ran across northern Maine in the middle of the night. Wasn't the train called the Atlantic? Anyway, I rode from Montreal to Greenville, Maine. It was a very snowy night. Just fantastic memories. To me, Sightseer lounges don't compare to domes.

-David S.

--------------------
I believe in something. I believe I'll take the train.

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spuyten Duyvil.

But I have NO idea how to pronounce that.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, it's pronounced SPY-TEN (as in the word SPY, just forget the "u") DIE-VIL (as in the word DIE, just forget the "u").

I think it means "spitting devil" in Dutch.

Thanks, GBN, for letting me borrow some of those quotation marks.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Until the Capitol Lmited changedto superliner there was a dome car on it. I can remember sitting up there. I have a vhs tape showing the dome and the scenary as taken from there.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ever have a chance to compare the Great (long) domes and the short domes used on Via, I think you will find the short domes give a much better view of the passing scenery. in the long domes the height of the roof is fairly low, whereas in the short domes you are riding substantially higher and therefore have a much better viewing experience.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Ocala Mike, thanks. I surmise that the Dutch spell no better than the English . . .
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the late 70's-early 80's (when I used to take a 2-week AMTRAK trip every year), the Sunset Ltd frequently had the full-length dome in its consist.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for this info; I will try to book this time!

Henry, how does one get on this media relations email list? I emailed Amtrak last year and asked that they let me know if the Dome Car was coming back, and I haven't heard a thing.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeR
Member # 2633

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone taken this trip recently while the Dome Car is on the train? Is Amtrak living up to its promise or is the dome being left behind in Albany? I'm taking this trip on Saturday just for the dome and will be bummed if it's not on it.
Also, does anyone know the details of the track on the Metro North line? Amtrak says the Adirondack will operate out of Penn and its schedule will be "Altered". Anyone know the details? I am leaving from Albany, does anyone know how late it will be??

Posts: 38 | From: Highland, NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Adirondack and the Maple leaf are being combined
as one train out of NYP and operating on the schedule of whichever departs later...(w/o looking, I think Adir.) It is operating via New Rochelle
and then over to the Hudson line on some type of detour... My GUESS is maybe one hour late from Albany? Check the status for last weekend, they did same maneuver then.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We took the Adirondack from Schenectady to Montreal three weeks ago and the dome was on it. The dome runs Northbound on Saturday,, so you should have it. I think its only running a few more weeks, if that.

I remember the domes that covered half the car several years ago, and the Canadian also has that half dome as well. This is a full dome car and the viewing is quite good. We stayed in the dome car for alost the entire length of the trip. Coming into Montreal was quite an impressive view. It would be nice if the dome could be run all year.

The dome car does make quite a difference. I wish most of the Viewliners would have them. The Superliners have the Sightseer cars. I always felt we are being cheated taking the Eastern trains,but so be it.

Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im thinking of taking this trip soon as well, maybe next weekend. Does anyone know what the best plan would be to get a front row seat in the dome? Should i plan to be in the car behind it when it is being attached? I imagine they dont open the dome until everyone's tickets are collected when leaving Montreal on the return trip?
Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jim, I'm not sure where this myth of great forward vision in the Great Dome started. As Mr. Royal also noted earlier in the topic, if you think there is the same as you found on The Canadian's Domes, forget it.

The car in which I would most like to make the journey would be Friends of 261 "Cedar Rapids'. I have done it in both an NYC Budd Parlor-Obs on the Laurentian and a "wrong side" Roomette on the Montreal Limited - never ridden the Adirondack.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta agree with GBN. The design of the Budd Great Dome is not the same as their standard domes in terms of fore/aft view.

The short domes from Budd and ACF (and P-S using ACFs plans (UP 7011-7015 dome coaches) have superb fore/aft views.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Actually Mr. Pullman, while the "UP design" (7000-7015 x7010) Dome did have "good" forward/aft views, the Budd short dome (defer to Mr. Ainsworth for roster counts of such) had the best.

However, the Budd "full length" (Great Dome on GN, Big Dome on ATSF) had superior forward/aft view over "my" MILW Super Dome (of which I guess the only one now in revenue service is with "Friends of 261".

Oh and UP 7010? well that was a Pullman Standard design that was part of the GM "Train of Tomorrow".

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Sojourner, just spotted your 9/30 post inquiring as to how one gets on the Amtrak media relations list.

Probably you have to be a media creature, or, as in my case, a media creature emeritus. (I still write about trains now and then, too, and that helps.)

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the Dome Car trip last week, and I liked it very very much. The foliage was still fantastic then, but I think it might be gone by now.

You do not get a Dome Car seat per se; rather, you board and take a regular seat in another car and then, soon after leaving Albany (where the Dome Car is attached) northbound, are invited to visit the Dome Car, should you be so inclined. The car is open northbound until the border crossing. Southbound you can go into the Dome Car soon after leaving Montreal, must leave for the border crossing, and can then return until close to Albany.

The car is running through next weekend, I think, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Mondays northbound; Fridays, Sundays, and Tuesdays southbound.

I believe the delays are caused by trackwork on Metro North and are only on weekends. They affect the trip south of Albany. The Adirondack waits for the Maple Leaf in Albany and then therefore arrives about an hour late to all stations south of Albany except then there is a New Rochelle reroute, so the train finally gets into NYC around 10 or 10:30, they said (I did not go from/to NYC so I'm not sure).

There were lots of train fans in the Dome Car, which was fun.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
I took the Dome Car trip last week, and I liked it very very much. You do not get a Dome Car seat per se; rather, you board and take a regular seat in another car and then, soon after leaving Albany (where the Dome Car is attached) northbound, are invited to visit the Dome Car, should you be so inclined. The car is open northbound until the border crossing. Southbound you can go into the Dome Car soon after leaving Montreal, must leave for the border crossing, and can then return until close to Albany.

The car is running through next weekend, I think, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Mondays northbound; Fridays, Sundays, and Tuesdays southbound.

I believe the delays are caused by trackwork on Metro North and are only on weekends. They affect the trip south of Albany. The Adirondack waits for the Maple Leaf in Albany and then therefore arrives about an hour late to all stations south of Albany except then there is a New Rochelle reroute, so the train finally gets into NYC around 10 or 10:30, they said (I did not go from/to NYC so I'm not sure).

There were lots of train fans in the Dome Car, which was fun. There was also a Trails & Rails couple for part way northbound--which turned out to be a little boring, actually. But the scenery was spectacular. The foliage was a little past peak but still lovely. But even without the foliage, the trip is still lovely.

MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jim, I'm not sure where this myth of great forward vision in the Great Dome started. As Mr. Royal also noted earlier in the topic, if you think there is the same as you found on The Canadian's Domes, forget it.

The car in which I would most like to make the journey would be Friends of 261 "Cedar Rapids'. I have done it in both an NYC Budd Parlor-Obs on the Laurentian and a "wrong side" Roomette on the Montreal Limited - never ridden the Adirondack"

why is its view not better? simply because its lower? I would imagine the front seats would be good.

I did note that the seats in the very back of the dome on the canadian were pretty good. you could see out the back and also the front. With this great dome, however, i imagine it is hard to seat out the front from the back seats due to the length of the car.

Posts: 416 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page