RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief/KC Station ?

Author Topic: Southwest Chief/KC Station ?
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, my wife & I may find ourselves in KC (MO) later this month (SWC from LAX).
Any recent experiences on the SWC or in the KC Station & downtown area would be appreciated. Thank you.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although Amtrak's present Kansas City station is small, but attractive and functional, it is very near the Crown Center Plaza. This is an "upscale" office/retailing/lodging/entertainment complex that was sponsored by Kansas City's best known company, Hallmark Cards. Within that complex are several leading "commercial grade" hotel brands.

One of these days, Amtrak just may move back into the "old" terminal that is supposedly under redevelopment to a shopping complex.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CK
Member # 589

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gilbert, thank you for the information. It's helpful.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg
Member # 66

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Greg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The restoration of Kansas City Union Station was completed about two years ago with a science museum now attached to the west side of the station. Amtrak still uses the adjacent small station underneath the Main Street bridge.

As for Union Station, the restoration is magnificent, both on the inside and outside.
On the inside, the marble floor, ornate ceiling paintings, and chandeliers have all been restored. A number of restaurants are located within Union Station, mostly off the main waiting room. Photos of the front of Union Station with downtown Kansas City in the background are easily obtained through a short walk up the hill to the south of Union Station (toward the Liberty Memorial). Having been in KCUS during the early Amtrak years and during the "Ambubble" period, I've never seen the station look better than it does now. It's an easy walk from the current station and definitely worth the time.

I've traveled on the SWC a number of times, most recently in November 1999. The service has been consistently good, though timekeeping has taken a bit of hit in the past few years with the increase in express traffic.

Posts: 41 | From: San Diego, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. I live in Kansas City, so let's render some ground truth.

1) The Amtrak station currently uses Tracks 30 and 31 of the old KC Union Station ladder. Tracks 28 and 29 stub under the North Waiting room; as I write, the Kansas City Southern executive train sits on track 28.

2) Amtrak has space allocated to it in Union Station. Don't know when the waiting room and the ticket office will transition up from the trackside box into the building. It's supposed to happen this year (2002).

3) Union Station complex is part of what has redeveloped into the Liberty Memorial, Persing Square, and Crown Center complex.

If you place Union Station in the lower right hand corner of a grid system:

- Liberty Memorial, which is the only monument in the Nation to World War I, is to the North.

- Pershing Square is to the east ... it is a pocket park, with office buildings and Pershing Road surrounding it. (Note) The office Building One Pershing Square occupies the ladder tracks east of the North Waiting Room.

- Crown Center, which is the Hallmark Cards corporate headquarters complex, including shops and hotels, is to the Northwest, in the Signboard Hill area.

As an aside, a redeveloper bought the old Kansas City Terminal Railroad roundhouse and is redeveloping it. At this writing, the turntable is still in place, and there are some plans for a museum in the future.

Both trains stop between Lawrence and Argentine Yard for and extended freight service halt. This halt is where Amtrak works the mail and express.

Hope all this helps.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my understanding that the Amtrak Express facility is located at De Soto, KA (MP 473.7 - KCY is 449.4). I haven't ridden the route since the conversion of the once premier passenger trains into "numero uno mixto diario". All I know is that some 3'55" have been added to the schedule - most of which to accomodate the handling of the freight (whoops, Express).

But, like Willie Sutton once said: "that's where the money is".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page