RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » As OT as you can get: Kids' Clothes

Author Topic: As OT as you can get: Kids' Clothes
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still single; no kids. But I have two nephews whose wardrobes consist basically of torn jeans, shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes and sandals; basically whatever you might find in the bargain bins at K- and Wal-Mart.

Can anyone suggest a source for respectable good-quality children's clothing? Perhaps not as formal as a 1950-ish "blue suit" but something along the lines of "sport casual", say slacks and a polo shirt with a pullover sweater for winter and some leather dress shoes. Something which would be suitable for church, visits to nice restaurants, possibly even an outing to the theater. (Or an Amtrak trip in First Class, to keep things peripherally On Topic!)

Suggestions welcomed.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, are your nephews orphaned? If not, are their parents victims of the Bush economy or what? Anyway, that's what kids wear today, even to school. There's always Sears or Penneys, not to mention Goodwill. Don't laugh; our Goodwill store down here has wall-to-wall Lexuses, Lincolns, and expensive SUV's in the parking lot.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know quality you can add Walmart and Target to the list. I have found name brand blouses that sell for $35 at a dept. store for $12.95 at Walmart.I don't think kids are ever too young to learn what is appropriate for what occasion. that doesn't mean a shirt and tie for school unless of course they go to Catholic school. Their ages will make a difference as well.If you have a Macy's near you they also have nice clothing. But whatever you do take them with you and give them a reasonable choice. Oh yes, even in first class Amtrak not only do the kids wear jeans and t-s but some of the adults look even worse.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes this is about as Off Topic as one can get!!!

But then, people (jerks in this case) have been known to place calls to 9-1-1 for just such information.

Finally, Mike, take it form this regular 'Jaques Pini" shopper; Lexus singular; plural also Lexus.

Presumably I'm "in the know" on this point.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lands End sells children's school uniform classic clothes which are just plain, tailored ("preppy" if you will) shirts, pants, skirts, and sweaters. Lands End guarantees your satisfaction with their clothes & will accept returns even of worn items for full credit. (but please don't abuse this wonderful customer service). You can find Lands End items at clearance prices at their "Inlet" stores. Sears also sells some Lands End items, but not usually the clearance things. You can get better deals online or in their catalogs.

Disclaimer: Lands End is a Wisconsin-based company, but I have no financial interest in them - I just wear their clothes. Unfortunately a most of their items are not "made in the USA".

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think JC Penney has good stuff. But one warning, even if you buy it, they may not wear it. Even now, in college, my boys wear jeans and T shirts, although they will clean up without argumetn now, when approporiate. And as train lady pointed out, sometimes it's the adults that needa little fashion help.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judy, I'm a Lands' End fan, too. Their jeans fit me. Nobody else's does.

And I have a story about Lands' End.

Back in 1963 I worked for a sailing magazine for a short time while in grad school. At my good-bye party a fellow named Gary Comer, who advertised his sail loft and sailboat racing paraphernalia store -- called Lands' End -- in the magazine, announced that he was thinking about turning it into a mail-order business.

"Don't do it, Gary," the magazine's publisher pleaded. "You'll lose your shirt."

The publisher eventually lost his. Comer didn't.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Lands' End, too. Good quality and good prices. And you can order anything in the catalog at a Sears store with a Lands' End section with no shipping. You can also do returns there.

The misspelled name is a good story, too. I've heard they realized the mistake but too late. It was supposed to be Land's End like the one in the UK.

My six year old grand-nephew's "good clothes" mostly come from Steinmart or Target.

Frank in dark, cool and soon to be wet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finisterre?

Now there would be the name for an outdoor apparel retailer.

Beats me where some of these retailers come up with their brand names.

Cacique....huh?

Usushia....huh? (OK that's on Tierra del Fuego)

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ushuaia, and I don't know how to pronounce it either!

In the Chicago Sun-Times parking lot this sign stood for years:

"PHOTOG,S ONLY"

We copy editors complained and complained but nothing was ever done. Finally the building was torn down for a Trump tower.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
And you can order anything in the catalog at a Sears store with a Lands' End section with no shipping. You can also do returns there.

Thanks for that great info---I didn't know that. I always order from them online and pay shipping (and sometimes returns). There is a Sears just down the road from me with a Land's End department. Cool.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And for the first time in Railforum history, a Google ad for a popular women's clothing chain appeared on this page this evening.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think you are to be commended. Then again, I'd hate to see your nephews view you as a stodgy nerd. Knowing how my daughter viewed clothing as a teen, and even how I did 30 years ago, I can't see your nephews appreciating even what you're refering to as "sport casual", or what I know today as "buisiness casual". As a kid, I would have been terrified that someone who knew me would have seen me dressed in such a manner.

Might I suggest a compromise, think about getting them nice jeans, a polo shirt, and casual shoes (something like nice leather Rockports). In time they will grow to appreciate nicer clothing, and the circumstances where one should wear them. For now, they will feel more comfortable wearing what is closer to thier norm.

Even at my age, I'd still rather wear a comfortable pair of jeans and a tee shirt or polo shirt. But I also know when I should wear a tie, or dress buisiness casual. Still, when I travel, even first class, I wear jeans and a tee shirt. Nothing torn up or sloppy. Its just me.

--------------------
Chuck

“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, why don't you just ask them what they would be comfortable in? As long as it is not dirty, or shredded, don't worry. Everyone else's kids will look the same. you know kids want to be independent that is as long as it is what everyone else is wearing. If you are talking about church, a wedding or some fairly formal affair that is when as an adult you need to step in with thou shalt and shalt nots. Children do need some guidence andlimits.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

This thread has given me a flash: GBN boarding a train wearing saggy jailhouse trousers.

I hope this doesn't give him a migraine . . .

I should admit that my wardrobe contains jeans so rump-sprung that people sometimes mistake them for jailhouse saggies. (They're for painting and gardening, not polite society.)

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry are you talking about monkey-butt pants?

Every time I see someone wearing pants below their butt, I immediately think of those monkeys {gibbons?} that have the bright red butt at the zoo. They like to flaunt their red butts. The people with their pants below their butts must like to flaunt their butts, like those monkeys {hence monkey-butt pants}.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I haven't heard the term monkey-butt pants, but they do sound like jailhouse saggies. Often, I understand, the waistband and considerable southern acreage of boxer shorts shows above the saggies' belt line. Sometimes the shorts are absent and the result might be called extreme plumber's crack.
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman. Shouldn't the plural of Lexus be Lexi, such as cactus, cacti; hippopotamus, hippopotami etc.

As for the subject of clothing for the younger set, I recall in my youth that the prep school look of blue blazer and grey slacks went well with any occasion except for the most formal.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also wondered of more than one Ford Focus should be Foci.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Royal, check with your friendly Lexus salesman, and he/she will tell that the plural of Lexus is same as singlular, as is the case with the recognized English language word, Nexus.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

GBN, at least one online dictionary, at http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nexus , lists "nexuses" as the first plural of "nexus."

Go ahead, wring the neckses of those who say "nexuses" or "Lexuses." (We need Ira to view the entire matter in poetic perspective, or perhaps put a few hexes on nexuses, or whack you and me in the solar plexuses.)

Or buy a Honda, as I have done twice, and then there would be no argument.

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Land's End for khaki pants or chinos, polos, and such. Boys and Girls.

Recreational Equipment Incorporated (www.rei.com) for outer clothing (fleece/down).

HTH.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to pluralize Lexus, but getting back to my original observation, I believe the number of upscale luxury vehicles sitting in Goodwill's parking lot at any given time is a good leading inverse economic indicator. It predicted this downturn pretty accurately.

Disclaimer: Former CSX shareholder; now retirement account fully invested in money market accounts, hoping they don't "break the buck."

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 4724

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Brown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...

Do the rules of plural apply to made up words?

Posts: 80 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Tom and Ray of "Car Talk" fame have something to say about this issue:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1992/July/10.html

Perhaps the best answer, as they say, is nobody knows, because nobody can afford more than one Lexus.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page