RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Your First Intercity Train Ride (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your First Intercity Train Ride
dnsommer
Member # 2825

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for dnsommer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody have anecdotes or nostaglic memories to share about their first intercity train ride? Mine is below. I tried to spruce it up with a little dry humor.

My first intercity train ride was in coach from Rye, NY to New London, CT. The cars were ex-Penn Central and appeared very weary from many years and many miles of service. The window shades hardly worked, and the windows themselves were scratched and streaked with grime. The tiled floor was chipped and yellowed with age. The doors at either end of the car slammed open and closed as if possessed. The year was 1974. Amtrak was in its third year. I wouldn't have been surprised if I'd found the markings of cave dwellers on the walls.

I recall that, when the conductor took my ticket, he scolded me about putting my feet up on the seats. What gave him the impression that I had or was likely to put my feet up on the seats? I felt wrongfully accused! I still carry a resentment towards him today.

The train had a dark, dismal cafe car. I remember the bare shelves and the long, featureless counter. I'd expected to see a brightly lit fiesta of fresh salads, appetizing sandwiches, melons, yogurts, shish-kabob, Belgian waffles, a host of popular snack foods, fresh baked cookies, caramel apples, perhaps a chocolate milkshake machine. Where were the fresh cut flowers? I think all they had was beer, soda, pretzels, and napkins. The microwaveable "Amburger" wasn't invented yet. And gourmet coffee? Fuggedaboudit! Maybe I bought a soda.

The ride was very bumpy. The train sailed over sun kinks and dipped into deep troughs where perhaps the ballast had washed away. Rumor had it that there was a snakehead in one of the other cars. Nevertheless, I kind of reveled in the shake-rattle-and-roll of the ride, even though I was nearly thrown from my seat in a few instances. In time, Amtrak would fix all this. In fact, thirty years later, the Acela Express would glide over this very same route.

Power was a black GG-1 as far as New Haven. I think an E8 hauled us the rest of the way. We arrived in New London on time. I got off, trembling somewhat. New London surprised me a bit. The station is right in the middle of a very sharp curve. The train continued to Boston. Eventually, one day, so would I.

That was my first intercity train experience.

-Dave S.

--------------------
I believe in something. I believe I'll take the train.

Posts: 284 | From: Ithaca, NY USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
July 1946 at age 5, was mine; GCT to Westerly. The party was my Mother, Grandmother, yours truly, and Sister. This was in Parlor Car as quite simply my Grandmother "didn't know what a Coach was". I do recall sharing the seat with my Sister and amazed how it swiveled about. At Westerly, I wanted a look at the steam locomotive but "don't go near that dirty thing'. Within five minutes I was inside a 'beachwagon" (a 'Woody') and being hustled off to a beach resort in Weekapaug.

That my first ride was not until I was five can only be attributed to that my family were essentially "train haters'. One would have thought, with "us" residing in Pittsburgh "during The War" and the family either in New York or Greenwich, there would be train travel opportunities. But no, my Mother and Father would save their gas ration coupons just so they could drive the 1942 Pontiac - in short I had knowledge of the (then) seven tunnels of the Pennsylvania Turnpike long before I had knowledge of Horseshoe Curve.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was way too young to remember much of my first train ride in the early 1950's (I was maybe 5?). The trip was probably from Cleveland to South Bend to visit grandparents (in SB -- we lived in the Cleveland suburbs), and it was my mother, sister, and myself (I don't remember where Dad was then -- probably out of town on business) -- the family (on the train) made it to a picture on the Society Page of the South Bend Tribune, which I think I still have somehwere in my boxes of ancient family photographs.......
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it something, Mr. Rich, how small town newspapers essentially gave out a "burglars' tour guide" with their "Mr. and Mrs. XXXX and family will be away visiting relatives....." kind of reportage.
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably around 1947 or 1948, when I was 5 or 6, on the State of Maine from GCT to Portland (change to MEC for Lewiston in the morning). We lived in Brooklyn, but my mother's super-large French-Canadian brood of brothers and sisters
lived in Auburn and Lewiston, ME, being the opportunity for periodic train trips "down east" to see aunts and uncles.

I remember staying up all night in coach, paper tickets that my Mom had to fold up like road maps, and hawkers that came through the car selling sandwiches. Unlike GBN, I was able to check out the steam engine when we got off at Portland (probably dragged my mother up there).

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First train trips - I have several - you'll see what I mean

1st time on a 'real train' was at age 10 in October 1972. My mother took me on an all-day steam excursion from Marion, NC to Erwin, TN and back behind 'Clinchfield #1', a tiny 90 year old 4-6-0 steam locomotive, and two F7B diesel units.

1st time on a real train with a real timetable to keep was June 1974. Mom and I rode Southern Railway's #6, the 'Piedmont' from Salisbury, NC to Washington, DC to visit my aunt.

1st dome car ride - October 1975 on a Southern Railway excursion train Asheville, NC to Old Fort, NC.

1st time on Amtrak - November 1976 - 'Silver Star' Hamlet, NC to DeLand, FL.....also first trip by myself.

1st time in the sleeper - July 1977, roomette on Southern Railway #2 the still SOUTHERN 'Crescent' Atlanta, GA to Washington, DC....also to visit my aunt. That was a great trip, I took the Trailways Bus from Asheville, NC to Atlanta, caught a taxi to the train station, and rode the Southern Crescent. Great, great trip in the waning days of privately operated overnight varnish.

That's what I can remember.....lot's of miles since then.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ham Radio
Member # 6587

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ham Radio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Summer 1964, Portland, Oregon to Fargo, North Dakota on the old Northern Pacific Railway. My dad and I had coach tickets but I spent most of the time riding in the dome car viewing the Pacific Northwest and Montana. Fabulous.

The dining car had linen tablecloths and a very friendly and efficient crew of service personnel (all African-American). I do remember having a pot of the best old-fashioned hot chocolate onboard.

That trip and subsequent outings spoiled me. I do not care for Amtrak much these days.

--------------------
Ham Radio
Orange County, California

Posts: 46 | From: Orange County, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First time on a train, age 3, New York to Miami, 1943. Of course I do not remember what train it was, nor do I remember the trip at all. When my parents learned of my interest in trains many years ago, they told me about that trip.

My father, a naval officer, was traveling to his first tour at Fort Lauderdale Naval Air Station.

I do remember sitting in the cockpit of an Avenger some time in early 1944 and waggling the joystick, but that is a whole nother enthusiasm.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first trip was after I retired. Reno/Boston round trip 2003. Later that year I booked coach from Ft. Lauderdale to Eugene and by the time I got to Chicago I was inquired about a sleeper and have been hooked on train travel since the Roomette experience.

A friend told me that Amtrak was on its last legs and if I ever wanted to ride the train I should do it soon. That was April 2003 and I enjoyed my trip so much I did it again and discoved sleepers.

I am foaming for my next trip in three weeks. Wasington/New Orleans on the Crescent and New Orleans/LAX on the Sunset. My first trip this year and I wont let that happen again. Eug/Bos round trip in February and I'm open to suggestions for a trip in May.

Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try the Zephyr from Chicago to SF. Then the CSL to the closest place to home in Oregon. The trip from Denver is a never to be misseds scenic trip .
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN -

"Within five minutes I was inside a 'beachwagon" (a 'Woody') and being hustled off to a beach resort in Weekapaug."
May I assume that was the Weekapaug Inn which in 1946 would have been only open for about 5 years.

Jackets required for all meals, a tad formal sort of place. But a lovely place overlooking the ocean with lots of lawn chairs to "sit and enjoy the ocean breeze". Back then they had a bit of a childrens activity program (highlight was the evening children's puppet show).

As a young bride in the late 50's I lived year round in Weekapaug.

I am very familiar with the Westerly Train Station - having grown up in the area.
However, my first train rides were the two or three times a year Mother and I rode the train for day long shopping trips in Providence. This was back in the early forties.
We walked about a half mile to the train crossing in the little village of Bradford very early in the morning and flagged down the train (fare paid to the Conductor).
We arrived in Providence early enough to enjoy breakfast (Date Bread and "childrens coffee") at the Tea Room in The Outlet Company.
The morning was for shopping. My Aunt who worked in the city would join Mother and I for lunch.

Then it was back to the train station in the afternoon for the train ride home. Once again dropped off at the crossing in the village.

It was not unusual for passengers to board at this non station location. Indeed waiting there for that morning train there were often several men who worked in the city. Those gas ration coupons did not go very far.

My first experience with a "train delay" was in the early fifties. My high school won the State Basketball Championship. Back then, that meant a trip to Boston to participate in the New England Tournament. (In the old Boston Garden). On the way home we were caught in a very bad snowstorm and were stuck on the train somewhere between Boston and Westerly for several hours. We left Boston late in the evening and arrived in Westerly well after daylight.

Dee

By the way the Weekapaug Inn is currently closed for a complete renovation. Supposed to reopen in 2009.

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil -- I like your "burglar's guide" comment!!! Yes that was certainly a different time than now!!! Actually on the trip I was talking about, the photo caption in the South Bend Tribune said something like "........Mrs. Jane A. Kimmel (formerly Jane A. Livengood) of Cleveland, Ohio, and her son Richard and daughter Kathy, are visiting Mr. and Mrs. Clarence G. Livengood of South Bend and arrived this morning at the South Bend station......."

("disclaimer" -- My grandfather, Clarence G. Livengood, was employed by the South Bend Tribune at that time!)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Safe assumption that was the place, Ms. Dee; I could not imagine any less for my "Back Greenwich" Grandmother..
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember too many details because I was so young, but in the 50's my dad worked for an ad agency with a headquarters in Peoria, IL (right out of "Mad Men" on AMC TV). He took me along on a rail business trip from our home in Minneapolis.

We had an overnight roomette to Chicago, which must have been on the Pioneer Limited (Milwaukee Road) or the Blackhawk (CBQ). Then we took the Rock Island to Peoria on General Motors' "Train of the Future", the "Jet Rocket". It had articulated cars that connected without the usual doors and vestibules, just open space. The cars were so lightweight that vibration made all the covers on the china rattle loudly in the diner. And, oh what a different looking locomotive! Kind of like a late fifties car.

Mr. Norman found a picture of it when I mentioned it before here.

But I really wish I could have taken a western LD in those days. All our trips out west were in the big old family convertibles, top down night and day. My dad liked to chase trains. I remember chasing a Missouri Pacific passenger train through western Kansas in the night, and a Zephyr up the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first train ride was at the tender age of 6 months. My brother, mother and I had a bedroom on the Portland Rose during WWII from Clarksville, TN (L&N) to Pendleton, OR on UP's Portland Rose. We lived in nearby Richland, WA for a few months while my father was working on a project for the war effort.

Funny, I don't remember any of the details but I'm sure it was a great trip in that era. Not sure why we were on the UP rather than NP/GN but travel during the war must have been pretty hectic. Unfortunately we returned home to Wilmington, DE via auto. I do remember that the car top carrier made a great sand box.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Mr. Palmland, my first ride was at 6 too, as in months; in my mom's arms on the hilevel 'Cap from LA to Chicago. I was told later I didn't cry at all during the trip, because we were rocking to the gentle beat, and the rhythm of the rails was all we heard. That, and the ATSF Courier Nurse left a big kiss on me...that was the beginning of my lifelong connection to the twin steel rails.
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first,aged 19 months, was in 1948 from Edinburgh to Kings X overnight and next day from Waterloo to Ilfracombe, where the Atlantic Coast Express used to terminate, a Southern Railway/Region train run in several sections. I am unsure as to whether we arrived on the scheduled day as the locomotive derailed and the fireman, the only casualty, was killed when the tender overturned onto him. Seemingly a passenger in the same compartment as my parents commented that the train had derailed the previous time he rode it. There was much rebuilding to be done post 1946.
The first long distance trips I do remember were from Galashiels in the Scottish Borders to Leeds on the old Waverley route via Hawick, Carlisle and Settle. Unfortunately at the time I did not realise the historic importance of the route or experience. A bell used to ring in the pub below the station in Hawick just before trains were due to leave!
In my early teens I was allowed to travel alone from Edinburgh to visit my grandparents in Leeds. The train of choice, as it was direct, was the Queen of Scots Pullman; Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, York, Harrogate, Leeds, London! It was frequently pulled by an A4 Pacific, one of the most elegant, if not the most elegant locomotive ever designed. (I do not expect that comment to meet with universal approval)! When I first used it I think the British Pullman Company was separate from British Railways; it certainly had its own name on menus and bills. Later it was incorporated into the B.R.system. One thrill was eating lunch, served at ones seat, while crossing the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick.
My wife and I also started for our honeymoon from Brighton on the electric Pullman Brighton Belle.
Those days are long gone; probably just as well; the last time I used the Waverley route was overnight in the mid-1960s and we arrived well over four hours late into Leeds.
Although much reduced the rail system in the UK is well used and reasonably priced if you can book in advance.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first intercity rail ride was the Pacific Electric railway's Big Red Car. Back when Downey had more dairy cows then people,Orange County had oranges and "The Pike" was a real amusement park.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here it is:
 -

June 1980, Empire Builder. Chicago to Portland.

Not only my first intercity trip, but my first train trip. Been riding the rails ever since.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bill
Member # 5097

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we did not have passenger service in Zanesville, Oh in the mid 50s, my first railroad passenger trip was delayed until the early 70s when our family rode from Parkersburg, WVa to Cincinnati on a Reds BB excursion. They were operated every summer in those days. Timing was great. On board in the morning, arrived in Cincy down by the river at noon. Game at 1 or 2? and then return trip left town around 6 and we arrived back in PB in the late evening. A festive train with baseball fans and train buffs. My brother was a Chessie engineer at that time and I believe we had some discounts?
A fun ride. Of course there are no tracks left on the B&O mainline between Grafton, WVa and Cincy. But many great memories. I don't remember which Amtrak trains ran on that route? Cardinal? or one that no longer exists.

Posts: 87 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shenandoah was Amtrak's short lived train on this route - rails that once hosted B&O's National Ltd, Diplomat and Metropolitan Special. This was in addition to a train on the current Cardinal's route.

Baseball specials were also part of my younger years. Specials from Wilmington, DE to North Philadelphia for Phillies games at the Connie Mack Stadium were a frequent summer occurrence. Usually operated on PRR but remember one on the B&O route to Phila. Wayne Ave. station pulled by FA units.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1944. Boston (Newtonville, actually) to Spokane, WA (LSL & Empire Builder). I was a year old, so don't remember anything about it. But we used to take that train trip annually in the summer to visit my grandparents in northern Idaho until the plane service improved in the late 40's. I remeber some of the later trips, particularly wanting to sleep in the upper berth, silver holders for corn-on-the-cob, and pretty vivid memories of the LaSalle St. Station (there was a 4 hour wait for the LSL eastbound).
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first trip was probably from New York Penn Station to Florida in the early 1950s -- I was too young to remember it. The first trip I remember well was from New York Grand Central to DeKalb Junction, NY (on NYC's St. Lawrence Division) when I was 5 (1957).

We took the Empire State Express (coach) from NYG to Syracuse. I remember sitting with my father in the observation car.

Then we changed to a locomotive-hauled train (RS3 and a couple of coaches). It showed in the timetable as an RDC, but I guess the RDC was sick that day. We changed again, in Watertown, NY, to an RDC. I had never seen one before, and was fascinated. Once we were underway, the grandfatherly engineer invited me up onto the front platform, where I stood on a stool (a step box, I think) and blew the whistle for road crossings. My first cab ride!

Return was from Ogdensburg, NY on a through sleeper to NYG. I found out much later that the sleeper was there for the use of International Paper employees traveling from the big paper mill at that location to HQ in New York City. I woke up in the morning to find us on the "commuter tracks", crossing the Harlem River. We were the last car on an NYC "maid of all work" train that carried through sleepers from Detroit, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, and I'm not sure where else.

But that was just the first of many, many trips, both pre- and post-Amtrak.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I must have been in fourth or fifth grade and we made an excursion (Maybe it was school and perhaps Cub Scouts) from Arcadia to LAUPT. It was on the Santa Fe and I remember the engine was steam. I don't think it was an excursion. Most likely one of the last locals. Any help on that? It might have been some other San Gabriel Valley location.

The next was in 1953 on the El Capitan from Pasadena to Chicago and on to Lansing, MI on the Grand Trunk. I still have my journal from that trip. It started out in earnest but faded. My mother eventurally took over noting mileage, gas fillups. etc. on the new Oldsmobile we had picked up at the factory.

Frank in warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Wasn't it something, Mr. Rich, how small town newspapers essentially gave out a "burglars' tour guide" with their "Mr. and Mrs. XXXX and family will be away visiting relatives....." kind of reportage.

Mr. Norman:
My remembrance of those "burglar's tour guides" is that they appeared in the newspapers of small towns where people didn't lock their doors anyway (and seldom, if ever, were robbed)all of which was pretty startling to this "raised in LA" boy.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really remmeber my first intercity train ride. My father was attending Purdue University on the GI Bill, 1945-1950. I came along in 1946 and in some of the lean times, my aunt came to West Lafayette and took me to my grandparents in Oregon.
My only remembrance of any of those trips was in 1950. We had moved to Dayton, Ohio following my father's graduation and my mother was pregnant with my sister. Again, I was taken to Oregon until after the baby was born. We apparently changed trains in Cincinnatti, Ohio and I "got lost" from my aunt and went to a large model train exhibit in the station. In reality my aunt was lost, I knew right where I was.
The first train ride I really remember was the City of Los Angeles in August, 1956. My father was transferred from the Los Angeles office to a suburban Chicago location (Chicago Heights).
Since the company would have flown us to Chicago, we were able to have Pullman accommodations. The trip was split into two segments (Los Angeles-Sidney, NB and Sidney-Chicago) so that we could visit relatives in Colorado and Nebraska.
I remember the Dome Car, the Dome Diner, the excellent food, including unlimited "seconds" on corn on the cob, and having to put on a suit to go to dinner.
Have never grown tired of riding the train.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first bona-fide intercity train ride was from Limerick to Dublin (in Ireland). No direct rail service available on the day I traveled; had to change trains at Limerick Junction. Locomotive was an 071-class EMD JT22CW built in LaGrange, IL (AAR C-C wheel arrangement, 12-645E3C with 2450 horsepower), and cars were BREL Mark IID modified stock, Ireland's first air-conditioned passenger cars (and that's saying a lot, considering Ireland's depressed past).

In the USA, my longest rail trip was on the Sunset Limited, from Tempe AZ to St. Louis MO. Was rather dismayed by the disparity in operating speeds between the NEC and these western rails. I had traveled on the NEC before, between NWK and WAS, and once you experience that, it makes no sense from a subjective POV that the rest of rail travel around the USA is not exactly like that in terms of speed of operation.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MetSox
Member # 6035

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MetSox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Growing up in NYC, I'd been riding the subway since I was a baby and that's where my passion for trains started. I know I first took the LIRR from Brooklyn to Amagansett in July 63 at age 6.

The first real "intercity" train I took was the 20th Century in Feb. 65 From GCT to Chicago. We had two double rooms in a Sleepercoach, as they were called on the NY Central. Being the oldest, I got the top bunk and my brother and sister squeezed into the bottom. One thing I remember was that that we couldn't get back to our car from breakfast because they piled up the suitcases so high in the vestibules. When we got to La Salle St., we had to wait outside without our coats for our car to empty out before we could go back in and get our stuff and it was COLD!! I also took the Pennsy to DC a few times but can't remember if the first time was before or after the Century.

In Aug. 68 I was fortunate enough to ride the original California Zephyr all the way from Chicago to Oakland. We were in an "extra" car, a Rock Island/Golden State sleeper "La Jolla", which just happens to be where I was born (we moved to NY when I was 5 months old). I'll never forget the sensation in the dome when the train got to the top of the front range and turned left into the Rockies. It felt like the train was flying and it couldn't have possibly been going more than 30 MPH. 13 1/2 years later I got the same sensation on the Rio Grande Zephyr.

Cranky conductor story: I rode the first-ever northbound run of the Adirondack in Aug. 74. The train was combined with the Niagara Rainbow (I think) until Albany. When the crabby old conductor came around collecting tickets there was a guy who was obviously going somewhere west of Albany and he really went off on him. "THIS CAW'S GOIN' TO MONTREAWWL!! I'll never forget his voice and I still use that voice to this day when I imitate Amtrak conductors.

Posts: 49 | From: Brookline, MA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1960 - first flight (LAX-NY), then first intercity - NYP to New London/Groton
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My earliest recollection is sometime in the late 1940's/early 1950's (I'd be about 5 I think) going with my mother from our home in Bolton (Lancashire) down to Cardiff to visit my father who was stationed near there.
The train had no buffet car so my mother got off at one of the stations en route to get some refreshments to bring back. Despite the fact that, in those days trains seemed to spend longer at stops than now, I can still recall the terror of the train starting off and no mother in sight! However, this was a corridor train and she had got back on but had got caught up in a crowd in the passageway which had delayed her return. Apparently, I burst into tears when she came back into the compartment - maybe she had brought the wrong drink!

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MetSox:
Cranky conductor story: I rode the first-ever northbound run of the Adirondack in Aug. 74. The train was combined with the Niagara Rainbow (I think) until Albany. When the crabby old conductor came around collecting tickets there was a guy who was obviously going somewhere west of Albany and he really went off on him. "THIS CAW'S GOIN' TO MONTREAWWL!! I'll never forget his voice and I still use that voice to this day when I imitate Amtrak conductors.

First Mr. MetSox, I now know how you came to adopt your handle.

However, let us note that the "crabby" Conductor was an employee of the Penn Central Transportation company and not Amtrak. The assumption of that craft by Amtrak from Conrail (as successor to PCTC) did not occur until about 1983.

RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first LD trip was in 1964, when I was 9. My family went from California to Chicago (we got off before the city, as relatives lived in DeKalb), then from Chicago to Minneaplois, then to Kansas City, and back to California. There were 7 of us, my parents and 4 siblings (I can only imagine the hassle for my parents!). We didn't take pictures so my memory was never jogged, but I remember yellow cars, so at least one or more trains were probably UP. I do remember all of us kids spending most of our time in the dome cars, hoping to score front row seats. I remember thinking that this had to be the best way to travel, although my reference would have only been all of us crammed into the old De Soto station wagon. Even the mens room seemed large and spacious, with a window etc. I remember the neighbor, Mr. Lee Clark, gave each of us kids $1 to spend on the train, and we were thrilled. My Mom brought along alot of food, but eating in the diner was a real thrill. For whatever reason, the only station I remember was Minneapolis, and it seemed HUGE. I also remember a couple times my Dad got off the train to make a call or something, and I was worried he would miss the train when it left the station.

I didn't take another long train trip until 1984, when my parents and I went from Martinez to Denver. I had a one year old then, and my wife was pregnant with my daughter. We had seats in the lower section, and at night used a small inflatable boat behind the seat against the bulkhead wall for a crib - worked great.

Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
City of Memphis on the NC&StL in 1949, Memphis, Tenn. to Jackson, Tenn. round trip. Before my 5th birthday so my sister and I were both freebies. I have three memories of it. Standing in the back of the observation car watching the rail roll out from under the train. Getting a cinder in my eye as we go through between cars and my father getting it out with a handkerchief, and watching the step being folded up as the train pulled out of Aulon in Memphis, which is where we got off on the return trip.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first trip I really remember was on the City of Saint Louis in 1963. We had a section, but were upgraded to a DBR. I drove my Mom batty going from the dome of the dome lounge to our room to the dome...
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it was the Texas Eagle in the summer of 1967--late summer, probably August, according to my mother. I was four years old.

I recount some of my memories at the bottom of the timetable page. Another: On our way to the diner I remember passing through a sleeping car and wondering why Mom and I couldn't have one of those nifty little rooms.

I found out during my first Amtrak trip twelve years later—on the Lone Star from Houston to Chicago (and the Blue Water on from Chicago to East Lansing) just before the Carter Cuts took effect. Sleeper upgrades were pricey!—if memory serves, it was $52 one way for a bedroom (no roomettes) on that Lone Star, and $52 would buy a lot in 1979.

My first overnight sleeper trip was in a roomette on the City of New Orleans heading home for Christmas in 1981. I took several more overnight trips in coach in the '80s and '90s, but since my last trip to Michigan and back in 2004 I have found the wherewithal to upgrade to a roomette for any overnight journeys. I won't say that I'll never travel coach again—if it's just one night and I'm by myself I might consider it—but as I get older and wider I am increasingly inclined to budget sleeper accommodations as a necessity, not an add-on.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill haithcoat
Member # 6773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill haithcoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taken on the Dixie Flagler overnight from Chattanoga,TN to Daytona Beach Fl at age 3, in 1947.

Memory is very dim, I think I remember the streamlined steam locomotive in the station in Chattanooga carrying on as only steam engines can.(the diesel at that time would have just been FEC from Jax to MIA) And going around corners during the night. And ships in Jacksonville. Apparently I enjoyed all the sensations,etc mother said I kept her awake all night babbling about things.

My sister was with us, she was age 12, thus nine years older than I. Those nine years make a huge difference. She was restless and apparently walked me from one end of the train to another several times.She had been on trains before So I think she told me what things were, and I guess reasonably correctly.

People began noticing us (we had bibs on us with our names on them) and they started calling us by name and telling us how glad they were to see us. (over and over again)

It does not take a degree in psychology so see that I thought I was being "rewarded" for this strange new past time of walking through a train.

The rest is, as they say, history.

My "condition" is apparently permanet,no cure for railroad mania in sight for me.

--------------------
bill haithcoat

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Bill

Good to see you on this forum. Hope you will join us often. Another southerner that remembers the 'good old days' is certainly welcome.

bill haithcoat
Member # 6773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill haithcoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland--

Thanks for the welcome but I have actually been around on various posts for a while, guess not in this one recently.I know you from the past and I think we have replied to each other before.

Clearly the Flagler is one of my two all favorite trains, the other being the Georgian.

I have recently retired so now have more time to play with the computer. I only had the computer at work so whatever I did was on my employer's time, not a good thing. Now I have a home computer. Bill

--------------------
bill haithcoat

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
So Mr. Haithcoat, it sounds as if your computer playtime can be expanded beyond that of when we hook up at the Roswell Marriott Courtyard for our Breakfasts. [Eek!]
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first intercity train ride was actually on Britrail in Britain. My friends and I got rail passes when visiting in my college years. I loved it! Not sure which trip came first, but we went London to Cambridge, London to Bath, London to Edinburgh, and probably a few more on that first UK trip. At the end of the trip, we also visited Ireland, taking the train to Holyhead, Wales, then a ferry, then a train from Dun Laighore (sp?) into Dublin, where after a few days we rented a car.

My next intercity train trip was Albany to NYC, out of the now-defunct Colonie station, not Albany-Rensselaer, as I recall. Amtrak had started up again fairly recently, but I perhaps did not take it right away because the bus was cheaper. However, once I took the train, I never took the bus again!!!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page