RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » new schedule

Author Topic: new schedule
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have my copy of Amtrak's new schedule yet, but I'm told it indicates there are sleepers on the LSL again to Boston. But the reservations system does not indicate this. Does anyone know anything about this?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The next Amtrak schedule will be issued on or about All Hallows.

I checked at the website 48-448 CHI-BOS for Dec 16 and do not find any Sleeper offered; at this time I much consider any such report as without foundation.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting sleepers back on the Boston section of the Lake Shore would likely not be viable unless Amtrak can increase the supply of available and serviceable Viewliners.

Since there are only 50 Viewliners (fewer if there are any stored out-of-service), that would mean pulling sleepers from somewhere else.

Fixing up some of the stored damaged superliners and making the 'Cardinal' a CHI-WAS superliner train again would free up a pair of Viewliners.

Fixing up a lot more damaged superliners and turning the 'Crescent' into a WAS-NOL superliner train with connection up the corridor would free up another 8 or so Viewliners.......but would likely have detrimental effect on the Crescent's overall ridership.

Bottom line - the existing fleet of long-distance equipment isn't big enough to permit any meaningful expansion in capacity.....at least not reliably.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the new printed schedule, it is kind of ambiguous as to whether there is sleeper service to/from Bos or not.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhat confusing, Mr. MDRR; from the current print timetable:

Sleeping cars: Viewliner sleeping accommodations New York-Albany-
Chicago
- Amtrak’s Metropolitan Lounge/ClubAcela available in Chicago, New York
and Boston for Sleeping car Service passengers

Apparently, if a passenger is ticketed Sleeper from Albany, they permit that passenger use of the Club Acela in Boston.

Now what I DID note earlier is where is there any reference on that timetable that Business Class is offered on 448-449?

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right Mr. Norman about confusing. The new timetable (eff 10/27) No longer has the reference to the cities where it lists sleeping cars but still has the blurb regarding Club Acela access for sleeping car passengers. Also, still no indication of Bus. class on 449/448 in the timetable.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Now what I DID note earlier is where is there any reference on that timetable that Business Class is offered on 448-449?

It appears Business Class will be a casualty on 448-449 come the October 27, timetable change.

However "there's something happening here"; it appears that querying the same CHI to BOS Dec 16 itinerary I did earlier returns 448 as a THROUGH CHI-BOS train, albeit Coach only.

But lest we note that the post-Timetable Change website could be a "work in progress' and some programmer, who could well have never been on a train in his life, is in need of "reality check".

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Actually, the thru train supposition would also explain why the new TT indicates under Lounge service "....Combined Diner/Lounge provides food and Bev. service between NY and Albany"

It would also explain the rumor yesterday in NY OBS crewbase regarding losing jobs in NY come 10/27.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
If there proves to be any foundation to these reports of Lake Shore service enhancements (the addition of a Sleeper noted earlier by Ms. Sojourner is being addressed at another site), it makes me wonder what "politico' up Boston way is 'leanin' on Amtrak".
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to see a Boston sleeper return but I still have to wonder where it's coming from?

Maybe the Cardinal is going to go Superliner again?

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
As Mr. Presley noted at another topic, he has located NARP material establishing that Amtrak intends to restore through Boston-Chicago service, Coach and Sleeper, with the upcoming Fall timetable change.

Even if I disagree with that organization's goals, I consider them as a recognized newssource for passenger rail matters. Accordingly I consider the intended restoration of 448-9 as a through Boston Chicago train as confirmed.

I trust you will consider my reference as "without foundation' based upon then available information as a tactful reference on my part - I would want it to be nothing less.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See my post in the other thread--train orders said through sleeper was nixed because Boston couldn't handle it
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
As I noted in discussion at another site:

In addition to the obvious of additional switching costs at Albany, having a scarce Sleeper possibly being Bad Ordered 'way out in Left Field', requirement to stock and maintain Bed Linens at a facility at which there is presently no need, there will also be a requirement to stock additional Food items at the Boston commissary to provision the X-Country menus.

Again, if there is any foundation to these observations and reports, it is a safe bet that "someone's leanin' on 'em"; the big question will be "who".

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
As Mr. Presley noted at another topic, he has located NARP material establishing that Amtrak intends to restore through Boston-Chicago service, Coach and Sleeper, with the upcoming Fall timetable change.

Even if I disagree with that organization's goals, I consider them as a recognized newssource for passenger rail matters. Accordingly I consider the intended restoration of 448-9 as a through Boston Chicago train as confirmed.

I trust you will consider my reference as "without foundation' based upon then available information as a tactful reference on my part - I would want it to be nothing less.

With foundation or without, I found it surprising to learn that Amtrak intends to resume the through sleeper to Boston.

Whether they can sort through the logistical issues and make it happen remins to be seen.

--------------------
David Pressley

Jarrod
Member # 4318

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jarrod   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MDRR:
Looking at the new printed schedule, it is kind of ambiguous as to whether there is sleeper service to/from Bos or not.

Are you referring to the new National Timetable? Is it already available in some places?
Posts: 82 | From: San Lorenzo, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
October 27 is to be the issue date of the next System Timetable, as I noted at another topic here, there are reports that there will be Sleeper inventory available on Monday.

Stay tuned.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm a little bit confused here. I'm trying to understand this, so I plugged in some random dates to the Amtrak website to try to figure it out---but it didn't help me out much. Let me see if I have this straight:

1) Right now (before any schedule change), the Lake Shore Limited has no sleeper service AT ALL between Albany and Boston. Do I have this correct, or am I wrong?

2) Sleeper service is currently offered (before any schedule change) between Albany and Chicago. Is this correct?

3) After the schedule change, you can get on the Lake Shore LImited at either end (Boston or Chicago) in a sleeper---and remain on that same sleeper the entire route. Do I have this right?

I think I'm getting confused with all of the various train numbers (48, 448, 49, 449) and locations (Boston, Albany, Chicago, Rensselaer).

I probably have something here wrong, so I'm trying to understand it. Thanks!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Items 1) and 2) are correct.
There is uncertainty about item 3). The NARP hotline suggests that it is correct. Amtrak's reservation system does not show the through sleeper for any future dates as yet. Indications elsewhere on this forum indicate that the sleeper will be added to the reservation system this coming Monday. Another post says that the Boston end has nixed the sleeper.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Jarrod, the Oct.27 timetables are starting to be circulated and as an employee, I was able to lay hands on them last week...
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bob!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty,

If they return to what once was -- the Boston part of the LSL train leaves Boston with a cafe car, 2 (occasionally 3)coaches, and 1 sleeper. In Albany that stub is added to the back of the New York part of the LSL which had 2 sleepers, Dining Car and (?) coaches (the number varied through the years. It was, I guess, a strange consist in that if you were in the Boston sleeper car you had to walk all the length of the train to the Dining Car.) You could however board your sleeper any stop between Boston and Albany and settle in for the entire trip to Chicago (or any stop in between.)

While never safe to "assume" I would suspect they may well return to that. It did "work".I would wonder, however,how coach passengers from New York who wished only a soda/coffee and a snack or sandwich felt about having to wait until Albany to purchase same.

Hope this helps you to visualize the train Smitty. (Similar to the way Empire Builder operates.)

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page