RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » "Coast Daylight" bites the dust

Author Topic: "Coast Daylight" bites the dust
pismobum
Member # 2628

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for pismobum   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
798-799 LAX-SLO run partway on the 'proposed' LAX-SFO schedule if the train ever gets funded. With new October schedule 798 becomes 792 on weekends as it runs earlier without commuter traffic. So much for the heavy lobbying that got the old SP "98-99" numbers used in anticipation of the train getting started.
Posts: 114 | From: pismo beach CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Renumbering a weekend train hardly constitutes the demise of a rail program.

Meanwhile, planning for the Coast Daylight revival proceeds at a slow, but steady pace. Coast Rail Coordinating Council September Meeting Report.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pismobum--

So what will the layover time be for 792-799? I'm hoping there will be time enough again for a nice lunch in SLO.

Following Miss Vickie and Mr. Art's example we are headed out on another cruise on Monday. We'll take the Union Station Flyaway from LAX and Surfliner from LAUPT to SAN on Sunday and spend the night there before doing a ship's transfer to board Celebrity Millennium for Hawai'i. (Driving to LA since were going to a wedding on Saturday and the train times don't work.

Frank in dark and soon to be wet SBA [Smile]

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think, now, that it is much more likely we will eventually see a Coast Daylight train rather than a high speed rail train from LA to SF. The cost of high speed rail is at least 10 billion for Calif voters..some say more like $20 billion. The final cost, with federal and private funding, seems to vary depending on what you read...I have seen a low of 30 billion, overall, to a high of 80 billion. With the economic woes we are now experiencing, I really wonder if the November high-speed rail initiative will pass. I heard on the news, last night, that Calif. needs 7 billion, immediately, just to keep afloat.

Possibly all we should expect, for now, is a Coast Daylight. If the Daylight does come, I hope they consider upgraded services and amenities reminiscent of the old SP Daylight.

Question: I know that there were 2 Daylight trains, in each direction, from LA to SF? Did they not eventually delete one of the 2 and convert it to an overnight train? I thought I had read such a while back.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
Question: I know that there were 2 Daylight trains, in each direction, from LA to SF? Did they not eventually delete one of the 2 and convert it to an overnight train? I thought I had read such a while back.

Richard

Richard, I am not certain to what extent you have followed passenger rail affairs in the past, but there has been an Amtrak-era SAC-OKJ-SJC-LAX "overnight" train offering both Coach and Sleeper accommodations.

The train was 15-16 and named the Spirit of California. It operated roundly 1983-1985, but was withdrawn in place of an additional San Joaquin frequency.

Even though I had several memorable journeys aboard The Lark, I think the additional San Joaquin represented greater value for the taxpayer $$$.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I was thinking of, Mr. Norman, was back before Amtrak. Here is a quick blurb from Wikipedia:

A second train known as the Noon Daylight ran on the same route between 1940 and 1949, with a suspension during World War II. The original train was informally known as the "Morning Daylight" during this time.

In 1949, the Noon Daylight was replaced by an overnight train known as the Starlight using the same equipment. In 1956, coaches from the Starlight were added to the all-Pullman Lark and the Starlight was discontinued in 1957. Amtrak revived the train name for its Los Angeles to Seattle service known as the Coast Starlight.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't speak either for or against the accuracy of Wikipedia on this, but in general, I consider Wikipedia as a possibility of the reality, not confirmation of the reality. The following is from the November 1945 Official Guide:

Four through trains San Francisco (not Oakland) to Los Angeles:

The Morning Daylight, trains 98, 99: 9h45m, 8:15am to 6:00pm both directions, "all seats reserved, Passenger Agent, Porter, and Maid service, Chair Cars, Coffee Shop Cars, Parlor Observation Car

unnamed trains 71, 72: 17h45m, 1:00pm to 6:45am both directions Coaches and Diner

The Coaster, trains 69, 70: 14h05m southbound, 14h15m northbound, leave 6:30pm both ends, arrive 8:35am in LA, 8:45am in SF. Standard Sleepers, Tourist Sleepers, Chair Cars, Dining Car

The Lark, Trains 75, 76: 12h00m in both directions, 9:00pm to 9:00am Sleeping Cars Only. Standard Sleepers, Full Lounge Car, Dining Car.

There was also an Oakland Lark which consisted of Standard Sleepers and a Cafe-Lounge Sleeper added/removed to/from the main Lark at San Jose.

Note that even in the day of "the premier passenger train owns the railroad", the best time was almost 10 hours.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think tax payers, in the long run get more bang for their buck with the high speed rail initiative over additional coastal train service. The 20, 30, 40+ billion initial investment will eventually pay for itself in revenues while taxpayers will be subsidizing coast daylight service long into the future. I think its absolute lunacy how state officials on the central coast are calling on their constituents to vote no on HSR. Talk about placing self interests over the greater good.

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page