TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Eats

Author Topic: Eats
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's new dining car menu, according to NARP:

http://www.narprail.org/cms/index.php/narpblog/a_look_inside_amtraks_new_dining_car_menu/

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must wonder if this Menu also includes Auto Train, Mr. Kisor.

Oh well, FAIK, the Flat Iron steak is now part of the Auto Train menu rather than the Beef Tournedoes, which I have always found quite "edible'.

8 oz steak? I know folk out there whose reaction to such would be "OK you've teased me, now feed me".

Of further interest, I note that Amtrak is now offering wine by the glass, and considering what some places charge for such (according to a recent Times article, restaurants expect one glass to cover the wholesale cost of the bottle; the remaining four are 'gravy"), they are not out of line. As for myself, I'll buy a "half" of their "grape juice" at the table knowing I have something more akin to my tastes awaiting me back in my room.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, I think I read that it does not apply to A/T. I will try to remember to check for sure.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Five bucks a glass for a proletarian California plonk is not so bad. Most middlebrow restaurants I frequent charge $6 and even $7 for the equivalent of Two-Buck Chuck.

Which is not to denigrate Two-Buck Chuck. Charles Shaw reds can be surprisingly good for the price. Can't say the same for the whites, though.

Or did we already treat Chuck on another thread some time ago?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might just have to suspend my self-imposed moratorium on Amtrak LD trains to see if the new menu is any better. In the last few years, Amtrak has offered some really yucky items (chicken fried steak, Bob Evans Scramble, and they even messed up oatmeal of all things!). I've got a travel voucher and AGR points burning a whole in my pocket, so maybe I'll give them another shot and take the Starlight up to Seattle. This also gives me a chance to fly my favorite airline (Virgin America) back to SFO.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry,

The LL and I just did a round trip on the Crescent this past week. Evening dinner on Saturday eve for both of us was the flat iron steak. I have to say for the conditions that the chefs are under it was very tasty. Keep in mind that I eat a lot of meat and this was not bad.

A breakfast of french toast for me and scrambled eggs for the was not bad either. Actually, I could have done without 1 slice of the toast as the meal was more that I could eat.

All in all, I would have to say that all of the meals were not bad.

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it as a plus that they do a better job making it known that the appetizers are not included with your accomodation charge.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trainut
Member # 4052

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trainut   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if they are now charging for dessert with dinner, while riding in sleepers? I thought I read something in the latest news release that they are doing that, any help?
Posts: 39 | From: Saint Croix Falls | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not read or heard of any change in the sleeper/dessert policy...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe dessert is being charged extra for sleeper passengers. My wife and I took a long train trip over the summer, went sleeper on most legs, and desserts were always "included" in the meal.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good to see that eggs cooked to order will still be available on those trains with enough staff, presumably the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight. They were available on the Zephyr in 2005 before SDS came into force.
No mention of grits, although these were available for breakfast last year on the EB.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good to see that eggs cooked to order will still be available on those trains with enough staff, presumably the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight. They were available on the Zephyr in 2005 before SDS came into force.
No mention of grits, although these were available for breakfast last year on the EB.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member

zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What mgt says bears repeating.
Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
I apologize for the above duplication. I have no idea what I did wrong.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mgt:
I apologize for the above duplication. I have no idea what I did wrong.

Computer gremlins......sooner or later we all have something that can't be explained.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page