RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Name the Train Contest

Author Topic: Name the Train Contest
gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't see this in the forum yet so I thought I would post to get the word out.

Help Amtrak rename the trains the run between St. Louis and Kansas City. Info can be found on MoDOT's website:

http://www.modot.org/othertransportation/rail/passenger.htm

Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I movie fan, I suggest the "Show Me" state call it the "Show Me the Money Train". They seem to have ongoing drama with state funding.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red State Rocket?

Prairie Flyer?

Nowheresville Express?

(All right, that last was nasty, but I'm an Illinois boy, and we make fun of Iowa, Missouri and Indiana. In turn, Wisconsin makes fun of us, as in the old joke about the purpose of the Wisconsin/Illinois state line. The punch line is very rude, but I will provide it to anyone who sends a private message.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eastbound: Skip to M'Lou
Westbound: Heading for the Kan

OK, I'm one of those rude Wisconsin people. No one would put me in charge of naming anything! I can't believe they let me name my own children. . . .

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WW: The Crown Center

EW: The Gateway Arch

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WW: The Harry S. Truman

EW: The Yogi Berra

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since it runs on the MoP:

WB: Kansas City Eagle

EB: St Louis Eagle

or just The Eagle.

If you've never seen the bald eagles on the river east of Jeff City ... too sad for you [Smile]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the KIT CARSON for that western frontiersman who guided John C.Fremont in his western explorations; and who began his adventures in 1826 as a sixteen year old Missourian on the Santa Fe Trail.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to tick off the folks here in KC who are KU fans, we can always call it the Mizzou Tiger...
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, my 2 cents worth:

eastbound - The Spirit of St. Louis
westbound - the Kansas City Star

Anything is better than the "Mule"

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRICH, I like The Spirit of St. Louis (I was a little flip with The Yogi Berra), but you can't name a train after a newspaper (Kansas City Star)!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never been out that way so I don't know how flat the country is. I guessing that it may be pretty level, so I'm suggesting "The Flat Liner".

Only joking.

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is not at all flat.

How about the Missouri River Eagles after the MoPac trains of that name. Extend one to make for a day train to Omaha.

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah-hah, Mike!! Why not name the train after a newspaper? It's just as bad as naming a train after an airplane!!!!

Remember the "Fast Mail?" Sures sounds like a newspaper!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How bout -

'The Wanderer'

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume most here are aware that "The Spirit of St Louis" was the name of an NY-St Louis PRR train. Apparently, prior to Lucky Lindy, that train was named The St Louisian (WW) and the New Yorker (EW)

http://select.nytimes.com/mem/archive/pdf?res=F30C14FC385B157A93C2A8178DD85F438285F9

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Acrtually, Gil, I did NOT know that -- thanks for the info. I was thinking purely of the airplane.......
amtraxmaniac
Member # 2251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtraxmaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok-not being familiar with the terrain or history, here it goes. It's two Midwestern metropolitan centers. How about the Midwest MetroStar. Or how about just the MidAmerican?

--------------------
Patrick

Posts: 387 | From: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I vote for George. My wife would not name either of my sons this old family name, so maybe here I could gain a legacy! Just kidding...
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"George, now boarding on track one for St. Louis." That could make someone named George feel a little paranoid. I suppose Thomas is already taken.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just think of it as a nod to all those porters called "George" back in the day, instead of their names.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gregbkc
Member # 3726

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gregbkc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump. Just a few more days to submit entries.
Posts: 34 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfthunderchief
Member # 7204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfthunderchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I submitted the following:

Spirt of St. Louis (inspired by RRRich-thanks that was great).

The other name I picked was Kansas City Royal.

Posts: 110 | From: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

If it weren't for the fact it'll never run like the original, the Missouri Pacific name for that train was the Eagle.

Of course, it COULD be named after the occupants of the Truman Sport Complex:

The Kansas City LOSERS.

Thank God for the Mizzou Tigers.

ellenorigby
Member # 9414

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ellenorigby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Gateway to the Western Flyer
Posts: 16 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page