RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Passengers?

Author Topic: Passengers?
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“One last thought. Guests may be called passengers.”
--Amtrak President and CEO David L. Gunn, in closing his message to employees yesterday.

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're not going to send all the employees to "Train Manners School" to be re-taught this now, are they?
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That line gave me a good laugh. Gunn serves his common sense with a little dollop of humor.

But it was the paragraph that preceeded it that caught my eye:

"I also spoke to you recently of an effective management structure. This week, we will begin the move back to a traditional railroad structure, which should be in place early in the next fiscal year. We will have an operating department, a mechanical department, an engineering department, etc."

What a concept!

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too caught that about "guests" now being called "passengers." To me, that sounds like a step down in AMTRAK's "satisfaction guaranteed" commitment, kind of like they are "downgrading" the status of passengers. As far as the rest of the proposed restructuring is concerned, I am not sure if that will be good or bad -- I guess there will no longer be an "Intercity business unit," and a "west coast business unit" -- I thought the individual business units were a good thing, since they could concentrate on one or two routes and make them better, rather than have to deal with the entire system at once. I guess we'll see...........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To (mis)quote someone on the All_Aboard mailing list, guests are happy to sit around and look at your drapes for hours, but passengers actually want to go somewhere.

Besides, it just looks wrong that the current wording of certain timetable footnotes is, for example, "stops only to discharge guests."

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This guest crap is nothing but semantics. I don't care what I'm referred to as, as long as I board a clean train, am assisted by helpful and friendly employees and get to my destination fairly close to on time. I would also like to have all the services that should be available, for instance the Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight. It would be nice too, to be kept up to date on any problems enroute & how they will be taken care of.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
I too caught that about "guests" now being called "passengers." To me, that sounds like a step down in AMTRAK's "satisfaction guaranteed" commitment, kind of like they are "downgrading" the status of passengers.

That's not how I saw it. Many service oriented companies try to use "feel-good" language formulas under the mistaken idea that perfectly good words like "passengers" or "customers" are somehow inadequate. Usually companies resort to feel-good language and other behavioral formulas instead of actually improving service. I've worked for companies that thought that way. As I see it, Gunn's comment means that substance will take precedence over style. That wins a lot of points in my book.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Toy:
That's not how I saw it. Many service oriented companies try to use "feel-good" language formulas under the mistaken idea that perfectly good words like "passengers" or "customers" are somehow inadequate. Usually companies resort to feel-good language and other behavioral formulas instead of actually improving service. I've worked for companies that thought that way. As I see it, Gunn's comment means that substance will take precedence over style. That wins a lot of points in my book.

Mr Toy...That was exactly my take on the quote too. It's about time Amtrak did really Walk the walk and not just Talk the talk. I find the term "passenger" is more closely related to "customer" whereas "guest" makes me think of someone staying in your house that you are anxiously awaiting to leave.

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 06-07-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would much rather be a "passenger" than a "guest". And so on and so forth...the honesty and candor is appreciated. Still, it's ok by me if they keep the "Guest Rewards" name for the frequent rider program.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of Disneyland. The employees are not "employees", they are "cast members".

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not "Amtrak Rewards" for the travel rewards program. One more chance to get in some brand identity. Guest Rewards implies a program for a hotel chain. American Airlines gets in that "last lick" with "AAdvantage"
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page