RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Bedroom cheaper than roomette?

Author Topic: Bedroom cheaper than roomette?
Mesaman
Member # 6720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mesaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking of visiting my son in North Carolina this summer. In checking various routes, etc. I find that in May 2009 a bedroom from New Orleans to Charlotte is cheaper than a roomette. A roomette shows a price of $229.00 and a bedroom shows a price of $195.00. Is this for real or is it a mistake?
Posts: 8 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill haithcoat
Member # 6773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill haithcoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not know the explanation but I have had the same thing happen to me, and it worked.

--------------------
bill haithcoat

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked Amtrak's website. By George, Mesaman, you're right. The bedroom actually is cheaper than the roomette. Was I you I'd grab it now -- the bucket might shift in the next few days.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt if such is the intent of Amtrak's inventory control area, and certainly is a programming error.

Best advice, Mr. Mesaman, if you have firm dates of travel at this time, grab it and get it ticketed. The "hold" option would be no good as fares can change during the hold period Amtrak grants. At this time, Amtrak is making a unilateral offer of transportation at that rate on at least the two May dates I reviewed for an NOL to CLT itinerary. By means of a credit card and clicks you accept, then a transportation contract is in place and Amtrak is obliged to honor such.

While I'm not a lawyer in this life (retired CPA) and principles of commercial law do allow the voiding of a contract when a mistake has been made, such mistake had best be a "mite bit' more blatant than this. But once they discover the likely mistake (remember they DO review this and other rail forums - know so first hand), they can withdraw the offer without any notice by simply changing the fare.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen this happen before. My take on it is as follows: people have been booking the roomettes such that perhaps only one or two are left. They become more expensive as that happens. But perhaps no one has booked a bedroom.
Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page