RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Saturday Inaugural Special

Author Topic: Saturday Inaugural Special
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Trains newswire today -

Good choice on the PV, wonder if it will be repainted?

Inaugural train means Corridor delays Saturday

Published: Thursday, January 15, 2009
WASHINGTON - Trains on Amtrak's Northeast Corridor will face delays Saturday due to extraordinary security measures in place for a train carrying President-elect Barack Obama. Passengers are being told to expect delays of 30 to 60 minutes, while the Wilmington, Del., station will be closed between 10 a.m. and 2:45 p.m.

Obama will ride the business car Georgia 300 to Washington for his inauguration as U.S. president, which will occur Tuesday.

The passenger railroad says most trains between Jan. 18 and Jan. 21 are sold out due to the throngs of people traveling to Washington to attend Obama's inauguration. The city is expecting as many as 4 million people to show up.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are several pictures of the Georgia 300:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/552849236TwdcQC?start=0

The date on the photos says 2006, but in one of the shots there is a Presidential seal on the wall. Have other presidents used this car also?

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure I am on record as well predicting GA 300. Somehow I think Mr. Levin (PRR 120) is a Republican.

But over at another site, there has been posted applicable COTP - Captain of the Port - Directives and NOTAM's - Notice to Airmen - that will clearly disrupt maritime and aviation activities; the disruption to rail and highway commerce has been well documented. I continue to ask when is someone going to sit back and realize that this stunt is needlessly disrupting commerce and people's daily lives?

Oh well, voters have short memories.

But I still wonder "why can't they just send a C-21 for Mr. Biden up to KILG for a flight to KADW?" Mr. Obama is already in Wash - reportedly now residing with family at Blair House.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
But over at another site, there has been posted applicable COTP - Captain of the Port - Directives and NOTAM's - Notice to Airmen - that will clearly disrupt maritime and aviation activities; the disruption to rail and highway commerce has been well documented. I continue to ask when is someone going to sit back and realize that this stunt is needlessly disrupting commerce and people's daily lives?

This sort of stuff is the obvious reason that presidents usually fly, even if it is a relatively short hop. Just thinkof the frequency of diruptions in DC if the preident went to Andrews AFB on the ground instead of by helicopter every time he traveled.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a private pilot I have not found presidential TFRs (Temporary Flight Restrictions) onerous at all, and most general aviation pilots would say the same. It makes sense to keep air and ground space safe for the president; there are a lot of bad guys out there. TFRs are hardly needless stunts, but are usually carefully thought out and only as long and large as they have to be.

Modern life is full of disruptions, and we just have to get used to them.

NOTAMs, by the way, simply means Notices to Airmen and usually involve warnings of broken warning lights atop towers, ice on runways and the like. TFRs are usually disseminated by NOTAM, but not always. Sometimes the president has to go on the move unexpectedly and there's no chance to issue a timely NOTAM through the usual channels.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Mr. Harris the route from Andrews to the White House is fairly short and the disruption of a motorcade is not bad. it goes rather quickly. We have had foreign visitors do that and there was no problem. the big problem in this inauguration is the fact that all the bridges to and from Va. will be closed to traffic with the excption of VIpS ,taxis, and busses. Hospital personel who live in Va will have a hard time getting to work
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
train lady----I know this is a bit off-topic, but since you live in the area.....is all of this stuff normal for every presidential inauguration? Or are things happening that you haven't seen before? Thanks.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off topic, but "that's progress' over a century:

Taft 1909
Obama 2009

Incidentially, earlier this morning I "flew" KILG to KADW on my private B-737 [Eek!] (OK everybody; FS2K game) flight time wheels up to touchdown was 22 min. The 89th Airlift Wing has had as much experience in this world as any organization in protecting "high profile' persons while in transit.

It remains my conviction that rail passenger service has an important role to play in the 21st century, but this kind of stunt, which I guess I'm now Kubler-Ross Phase V about it moving forth (and I will watch ideally on a station brodcasting in Hi-Def - that doesn't mean any cable news channel) is simply not part of that conviction. I pray it moves forth without incident.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some think that Mr Obama should parachute in with a "Mission Accomplished" sign?

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty, I have lived through many an inauguration and this is the first time I have sen such comotion. Part of the reason is there hve been more threats against Obama than any other president.I guess the nuts are roling out of the woodwork. When you think about it it is almost funny. People are so excited that he is our "first African American " president. Wrong ( in my opinion)He was born in Hawaii so he is not african . He is American Secondly he is half white which would make him our mixed race president. I personally don't care if he is purple with pink spots as long as he does the job we hired him for but many people think otherwise.So in answer I have never heard of TVs on the mall, closed bridges etc.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Pretty sure I am on record as well predicting GA 300. Somehow I think Mr. Levin (PRR 120) is a Republican.........

Mr. Norman, PRR 120 would be a more appropriate car for the special. After all it was the Pennsylvania RR that had their well named fleet of trains on the NEC:
'Congressional', 'Senator', 'Judiciary', and 'Representative'.

There was also the 'President' with a morning departure out of 30th st. How much easier it would be to just couple up Mr. O'bama and PRR 120 to that - but perhaps the secret service would have 'issues' with that idea.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The date on the photos says 2006, but in one of the shots there is a Presidential seal on the wall. Have other presidents used this car also?

Smitty,

On page 2 of those photos you've given us is a picture of a plate with a brief car history that includes the fact that Georgia 300 has carried Pres. Carter, Clinton, and Bush43. No doubt that is why they picked this car to carry #44.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I wonder what transactions, if any, a review of publicly disclosed contribution records would reveal between the owners of GA 300 and the Obama Campaign?

Not suggesting anything illegal; just plain old '$$$ talks, never mind what walks'.

Non rail, but everything costs;

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/16/us/politics/16donors.html?ref=politics

Finally, I know my cynicism is coming through loud and clear regarding this topic, but in now some 86 hours, I stand with many others who may have supported someone else last November and proudly say to Mr. Obama, "I'm an American and you are my President; Godspeed".

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While 43 is still President, let us sing in unison to send him off with good cheer:

MAKE THE PIE HIGHER

I think we all agree, the past is over.
This is still a dangerous world.
It's a world of madmen
And uncertainty
And potential mental losses.

Rarely is the question asked
Is our children learning?
Will the highways of the internet
Become more few?
How many hands have I shaked?

They misunderestimate me.
I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
I know that the human being and the fish
Can coexist.

Families is where our nation finds hope
Where our wings take dream.
Put food on your family!
Knock down the tollbooth!
Vulcanize society!
Make the pie higher!
Make the pie higher!

(With apologies for the extreme thread creep.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You left out, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice......eh, eh, you can't fool me twice."

Let the future begin on Tuesday with a "new" New Deal.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
P-42's #44 #120 ten cars; Georgia 300 referred to by an MSNBC commentator as "the caboose on the rear of the train".

addendum: I have now learned that there is symbolism attached to the P-42's assigned to the train. 44 i.e. 44th POTUS and 120 i.e. 1/20 or January 20.

Electric motive power was not used account it too easy for someone to throw a switch and bring the train to a halt. I understand this was a Secret Service specification.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
The "pilot Train" consist was 2 P-42's, Heritage 10-6 and Track Geometry car "Corridor Clipper".
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..."

The Who, "We Won't Get Fooled Again"

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Come to think of it, based upon the TV coverage I watched today, it certainly appears that the President-elect DOES like the 300's back-up whistle.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

The rear platform on GA 300 seemed awfully shallow to me compared to other heavyweight obs cars. Or were my eyes tricking me?

(Later. Just looked at other photos of GA 300 -- the platform seems the usual size. Maybe Obama's tall stature coupled with the TV cameras' long lens just gave a trick of perspective I couldn't get my brain around.)

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, it's the recession and the deflationary economy that causes things to appear smaller than they really are.

Watching the boob tube coverage of the train ride today, it was amazing to me how NO newsperson even knows what a Business/Observation Car is or was! I heard GA 300 referred to as "the last car", "the caboose", and "Obama's car" among other things.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Georgia 300 referred to by an MSNBC commentator as "the caboose on the rear of the train".

CNN made the same error. Wolf Blitzer managed to make a correction just before Obama got off the train in DC.
Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TBlack:

According to the description shown in one Photo of a dinner plate, the car has hosted presidents Carter, Bush 41, and Clinton.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
Watching the boob tube coverage of the train ride today, it was amazing to me how NO newsperson even knows what a Business/Observation Car is or was! I heard GA 300 referred to as "the last car", "the caboose", and "Obama's car" among other things.

Knowing what the car was called did not enhance the emotional impact of the story, therefore it was not relevant to the story. No modern journalist would spend the additional 2 minutes googling the car for historic data. First, they may not know how to google, second, it would not enhance their story.

Journalism had devolved into the dumbest profession on this planet. The average journalist no longer needs any common sense, logic, or analytical abilities and facts are not necessary unless the facts would augment the emotional impact of the story. Journalists MUST be in touch with their emotional selves, or they cannot be journalists.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
Smitty, I have lived through many an inauguration and this is the first time I have sen such comotion. Part of the reason is there hve been more threats against Obama than any other president.I guess the nuts are roling out of the woodwork. When you think about it it is almost funny. People are so excited that he is our "first African American " president. Wrong ( in my opinion)He was born in Hawaii so he is not african . He is American Secondly he is half white which would make him our mixed race president. I personally don't care if he is purple with pink spots as long as he does the job we hired him for but many people think otherwise.So in answer I have never heard of TVs on the mall, closed bridges etc.

I generally refrain from making political statements on this forum and what I am about to say is a far as I will go now -

I have high hopes for the new administration. I am thrilled with the prospect of a president who is well-educated, highly intelligent, and is not ashamed to behave that way.

We've tried the guys who for whatever reason feel like they have to behave like some kind of cowboy. Hasn't worked out so well. These are times which call for something different.

Ohhhhhh.......and after having been in DC for the Reagan and Clinton inuagural bashes, I'm just as happy to be 400 miles away this time!

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RMilot
Member # 3280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RMilot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In earlier parts of this discussion there was speculation on why the Georgia 300 was use and not Pennsylvania 120. The Georgia 300 has been the only Private Varnish used by sitting presidents from George H. W. Bush on and has also been use by a number of candidates running for that office. The secret service knows the car and owner and is probability very secure in the use of it. Most of the time when use in POTUS services it is accompanied by another PV the MKT 403. The presidential seal in the car was added at the request of the owner after the White House approval at least 10 year ago.

--------------------
R Milot

Posts: 9 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page