RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Station codes

Author Topic: Station codes
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. So some of us, like me, are not fully familiar with all of the three letter codes for each and every Amtrak station. It would make things easier for me if the station name was used in these posts instead of the code.
For example, WAS or NYP, are easy to figure out while who could guess where OKO (Okemo VT) was? It would be better for me if the city was named.

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 06-07-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just in case, here is an address that might be useful: http://tickets.amtrak.com/slcA.htm
I know that Albany and Albuquerque get mixed up a lot, and some other places too, and I doubt many of us have memorized all of them yet!

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 06-07-2002).]

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Ken. Sometimes people on this forum use so many abbreviations that I cannot understand what they are talking about.

Please explain things without so many abbreviations.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale) www.geocities.com/evrr

[This message has been edited by Konstantin (edited 06-07-2002).]

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current AMTRAK timetables always list the city codes after the city names at the beginning of the timetable. Some of us have such a hobby with trains and AMTRAK, that we automatically use the codes rather than the names (less words to write, especially if you are a lousy typist, like I am!)

Sorry about that ----

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken V     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
Just in case, here is an address that might be useful: http://tickets.amtrak.com/slcA.htm
I know that Albany and Albuquerque get mixed up a lot, and some other places too, and I doubt many of us have memorized all of them yet!

I hate to admit it, but I'm not confused between ALB and ABQ. Maybe, I too, am caught up in the whole thing.

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 06-08-2002).]

Posts: 149 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All these TLAs are OTT IMHO.

-or-

All these three letter acronyms are over the top in my humble/honest opinion.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paulfnshore
Member # 1201

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for paulfnshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been using thre letter codes for every location i visit whther it does or does not have a train station
and some are not easy to decipher but i often tell popel what they mean i.e:
GHD-Glen Head NY
MAN-Manhasset NY
SRA-South Bend Airport
WUR-Wurtsboro Airport NY
PDO-Oswego NY

Posts: 17 | From: new york | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trainman1
Member # 1392

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for trainman1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by paulfnshore:
SRA-South Bend Airport

Where did you get this one? The official code for this airport is SBN (and meanwhile, the South Bend Amtrak station is SOB).

Posts: 112 | From: North Hollywood, California | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken V
Member # 1466

Rate Member
I'm reviving this old thread due to a couple of recent postings:
quote:
Originally posted by ethelred:
Thanks! What does IOW and SAS stand for?
and
quote:
Originally posted by amtraxmaniac:
From experience, expect 703 to be on time or even early into SAC. NB CS into SAC USUALLY gets in between 12:30a or 1:00a...

Ken - in frigid TWO

[This message has been edited by Ken V (edited 01-15-2005).]

Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NB CS= North Bound Coast Starlight

SAS= San Antonio, TexaSSS.

IOW= I Only Want (this thread to stop) just kidding...

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, the problems exist with airline 3 letter airport codes too. I remember checking in here in Santa Barbara (SBA) for a flight to London Gatwick (LGW) and having the agent tell me she hoped I had a nice flight to New York La Guardia (LGA). And some, like Fresno, CA, are just funny. (FAT for Fresno Air Terminal) or rude like FUK (Fukuoka, Japan). And then there's ORD. How many of you know what it REALLY stands fo? No, it's not O'Hare Deadend.

Frank in Dark but Warm SBA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ORD = Orchard Field or something. MSY (New Orleans) = Moissant Stock Yards. Best not to get your bag sent to BHX instead of BHM - both Birmingham, but the first is in the UK, the second in Alabama.

Amtrak have got quite a few stations with the same three letter code as the airport.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You win the cigar! Orchard Field was renamed O'Hare to honor a WWII pilot.

LAX was originally Mines Field. The X is just a place holder and has no meaning.

Frank in Sunny, Warm SBA (An example of Amtrak using the airport code!

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quiz:

Where was (hint) SAM.

Also:

Maintenance facilities not firectly connected to a station have their own codes, ones coming to mind are--

BEE Beech Grove, IN
SSY Sunnyside Yark, Queens, NY.
HIA Haialeah, FL

Likely the Rendondo Beach facility in LA has its own code, and even possibly Lumber Street, Chicago - I simply do not know them.

Other Airport codes not readilly decipherable:

MCO MCcOy Field, Orlando International FL
BNA Nashville origin????
SDF StanDiFord Field, Louisville KY
SNA John Wayne Memorial Orange County Airport SaNtA Ana, CA

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Judy
Member # 3278

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grandma Judy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say it with me: M-K-E Gotta be Milwaukee
Posts: 122 | From: Milwaukee, WI USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BNA = Briley Field, Nashville, Tennessee
MKE may be Milwaukee, but MKL is Jackson TN
for McKeller Field

And,also to get totally misplaced by only one piece of a letter:
MEM = Memphis Tennessee USA
MFM = Macau, China (former Portugese colony on the opposite side of the Pearl River estuary from Hong Kong)

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Not forgetting SUX - Sioux City. That must really su... oh ok, so you've heard it before.
http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/ is a good site for looking up airport and airline codes. There are some non-airport codes listed there too - ZYP for Penn Station, New York for example; ZUN for Chicago "Union Railway Service"(?); ZWU Washington DC. Does anybody know if they're used?

Geoff M.

Kairho
Member # 1567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kairho   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some airlines used to sell tickets through to a railway station. In fact, they are still used in France, the low countries, and, I believe, England. You can buy a ticket to, say, Brussels, and change in Paris to the train, all on one ticket.
Posts: 363 | From: Southwest North Central Florida | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilley Field, NAshville, TN

I should have known that one, Mr.Harris.

That I had to be prompted by a fellow residing in the other half of the world only adds to MY mortification.

FWIW, the Brilley Parkway, bypasses Nashville (thank God) and runs along the perimeter of the Airport. I drive it usually twice a year.

Watch your speed on that road, if you aren't, guarantee "someone else" is.

[This message has been edited by Gilbert B Norman (edited 01-17-2005).]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
M190
Member # 3009

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for M190     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My city has to claim the most insulting TLA. Bakersfield, Ca is BFD. Very descriptive actually. Sioux City (SUX) is great too though.
Posts: 106 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman:

I may physically be on the other side of the world, but Tennessee is my home turf, even though my driver's license says Mississippi. I was born in Jackson TN (WW2 baby, my father was doing basic flight instruction at McKeller Field, so how could I not know that one?) grew up in and around Memphis have family scattered all over the state, and graduated from Tennessee Tech in Cookeville, and have been in and out of Nashville by train, plane, and bus. As to the MEM / MFM, I have managed to go through the airports in both places.

George

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should San Luis Obispo (SLO) be temporarily referred to as SOL until the Coast Line is repaired?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely not, TwinStarRocket. The nice folks in Solana Beach, California (SOL) would be upset if you dared to do this.

[This message has been edited by Railroad Bob (edited 01-20-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Railroad Bob (edited 01-20-2005).]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page