RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Presidential Oath

Author Topic: The Presidential Oath
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies for not being train related but I regard the forum members as good friends who are best placed to answer a question about America.

Is it a legal requirement in the US that the incoming President says "so help me God"? In the UK you are still required to swear an oath for some forms of Government office, being a member of Parliament and for things like jury service and legal declarations etc but the law was changed some years ago after legal challenges to allow an "affirmation" which removed God from the pledge. As church going is far more prevalent in the US than the UK (by about 5 to 1) it's doubtful whether somebody who was openly atheist/agnostic could ever get elected but should it happen what would be the position?

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe, Mr. Williams, the line you note can be deleted and still be a valid oath; one can also affirm if they choose not to swear. But as you note, religion is far more part of the fabric of our lives (it is of mine) than is the case in Western Europe.

Incidentally, because of the "flub' by both Chief Justice Roberts and President Obama in the oath, it was administered again privately yesterday - this time without a hitch.

However, the oath is simply a ceremonial ritual, as Mr. Obama became the 44th President at 12N, oath or no, while a recording of the John Williams arrangement of the Shaker melody "Gift to be Free" was being played and four highly accomplished musicians "performed" a pantomime (hello, Milli Vanilli).

Of possible interest:
http://www.secular.org/news/pete_stark_070312.html

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"So help me God" is not a Constitutional requirement for the oath of President or Vice President, however it is an acceptable addition, depending on the preference of the person taking the Oath of Office. President George Washington was the first President to use that addition, including taking the Oath with his hand on a Bible.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/constitution_transcript.html

Article II, Section 1, Clause 8: Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Off-topic at an off-topic topic:

I have seen a lot of inaugurations (on TV of course) in this life - in fact, all since Eisenhower (for Truman during 1949, I recall a TV set up in the Grade School Auditorium - it was just a big box with a neon bluish light in the center). Even if there might be less than "Big Love' between Chief Justice Roberts and President Obama, they both are Americans - and statesmen. I think CJ Roberts "congratulations Mr President" was heartfelt.

Rhenquist swearing in Clinton was clearly less so.

But the most 'icy" swearing-in I can recall (I was age 11) was that of CJ Vinson (Truman appointee) administering the oath to Eisenhower during 1953. The Chief Justice very icily said "YOU, Dwight David Eisenhower.....'. I cannot recall if they even shook hands.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Required or not, and exist or not, Obama can use all the help he can get!
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page