RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Service disruption for Surfliners and Starlight

Author Topic: Service disruption for Surfliners and Starlight
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out amtrak.com for service alerts for the Pacific Surfliner and the Coast Starlight for January 25, 26 and 27. The work they reference is happening here in Santa Barbara just west of the station. Culverts under the tracks are being replaced to help alleviate the serious flooding that happens when we get very heavy rains. That happened most recently in 1995 and 1998 if my memory serves me.

Frank in wet (finally) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew! I have a couple friends taking the CS tonight from Martinez to Albany (connecting from Modesto to MTZ). First trip in a long time for them, and I've been extolling the benefits of train travel for several weeks. I note the CS ahs actually been on time for this week, and am hopeful they have a good experience. I am glad the disruption will be next week, which shouldn't affect their return trip Tuesday. On another note, if they want to score a possible cheap room, do they ask the Conductor?
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just to add to this....on the dates mentioned, the Coast Starlight is detouring via Tehachapi.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the service alert. It does look like another chance to go over Tehachapi on the Starlight!

Service Alert: Coast Starlight Trains 11 and 14 — Temporary Service Change January 25, 26 and 27

Due to track work being performed by Union Pacific Railroad, Trains 11 and 14 will operate on an alternate route between Los Angeles and Sacramento and will not stop at the following stations:

Van Nuys, Simi Valley, Oxnard, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Salinas, San Jose, Oakland, Emeryville, Martinez and Davis

Southbound Train 11, which originates in Seattle on January 24 and 25, will not stop at these stations on January 25 and 26.
Northbound Train 14 will not stop at these stations on January 25, 26 and 27.
Alternate train or Thruway Motorcoach service is available to and from most of these destinations. Contact Amtrak for reservations and schedule information.

Train 11 — Earlier Arrival at Los Angeles

Train 11 will arrive in Los Angeles at 6:10 pm, approximately three hours earlier than the time shown in the published schedule. Contact Amtrak for up-to-date arrival and departure times.

Train 14 — Earlier Arrival at Sacramento

Train 14 will arrive in Sacramento at 9:30 pm, approximately two-and-a-half hours earlier than the time shown in the published schedule. Contact Amtrak for up-to-date arrival and departure times.

The train will depart Sacramento on schedule at 11:59 pm.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience. For reservations and up-to-date arrival and departure times, visit Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Frank in wet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a local link to some pictures of the work in progress. I hope it works.

http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm?nid=16906&linkSource=edhat.com

Frank in wet SBA

20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two and a half hours saved by going up through the Central Valley and avoiding the coastal route.
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
True, but not even close for scenery.

Frank in damp SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that the train will miss most of the big stops that are attractive to Coast Starlight riders, entirely bypassing the SF Bay Area. I've ridden the Tehachapi detour a few times, but I didn't even attempt to do it this time. It is one heck of a boring trip. The coastal scenery is worth the price of admission----but mile after mile of the Central Valley? If you're into watching paint dry or grass grow, then it's great.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
20thCenturyLimited
Member # 1108

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for 20thCenturyLimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But an overnight train to Sacramento from Los Angeles and return would be nice along this route...
Posts: 134 | From: New York, New York USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There once was, Mr. Century, run by the SP and named The Owl. There also was a daytime train aptly named the San Joaquin Daylight.

But don't expect any initiative to restore daily passenger train service Bakersfield-LA; there is simply too much freight traffic, BNSF and UP, over Tehachapi Pass to consider such on a regular basis.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be on the southbound Train 11 out of Sacramento Sunday morning for another trip over Tehachapi. A story will be written!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I had forgotten the Owl. My father frequently took the Lark to San Francisco on business. I remember going to drop him off at Glendale and thinking how exotic and romantic it would be to take a trip like that.

My mother and I rode the San Joaquin Daylight once as a change from our usual summer trips to San Francisco on the Coast Daylight. We hit a truck somewhere in the central valley and were late to Oakland and did not get the anticipated ferry ride across the bay. Yep, a "bustitution".

I think I've written about the that before. Forgive me. I'm old.

Frank in dry again SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page