RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cab Fare

Author Topic: Cab Fare
TALKrr
Member # 683

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TALKrr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone who lives in the Orlando area know about how much cab fare would be from the Amtrak station at Orlando out to the airport ?

My son and I will be taking a trip down soon and need to transfer out to the airport Hyatt to stay there for a few days.

Posts: 187 | From: Pittsburgh , PA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope this helps:

http://www.mearstransportation.com/TaxiFareEstimator.asp?go=1&from=3&froma=1400%20Sligh%20Blvd&fromc=Orlando&fromz=32806-3905&to=0&toa=1%20Airport%20Blvd&toc=Orlando&toz=32827-4328 &

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check with the hotel; who knows, they may even have a shuttle; if not, they can have input on prices and recommend cab companies. It may be a good idea to phone the cab company in advance and book it, negotiating a flat price for the ride.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the idea of calling the hotel. Call the local number (not the reservation number) and ask for the Concierge. Most of them are pretty good at the Hyatt chain, and they might have a good recommendation for you.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might be more convenient to get a rental. We used Avis. Although not at the station, they were there by the time we got off the train (we called as we were pulling in) while still a long line at Hertz counter.

Also cheaper - I'll bet not much more than a cab fare. Call them locally rather than national number at the downtown Rosalind Av location- http://www.avis.com/car-rental/html/landing/orlando-rental.html

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen to Palmland. Orlando is very spread out, and the airport is a long way from the train station. Cab fare will be astronomical. Having your own set of wheels will be well worth it.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There can be some really good deals on car rentals out there. Right now I am renting from Hertz in Albuquerque at $12 per weekend day if you prepay. They paid my cab fare from Amtrak to the airport. They will drive me back to Amtrak. And it is cheaper than if I rented at the airport because the airport daily surcharge is avoided by listing Amtrak as my rental location.

And to top it off I got my personal favorite, a Subaru Impreza, with only 400 miles on it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Twin Star, Florida was once the mecca of auto rental deals; not so anymore.

I had occasion to check auto rentals at West Palm Beach Airport (KPBI) and found the rate for an Intermediate during week of Feb 18 using Hertz will be $110.49/da plus the usual taxes and fees.

I can recall when that was a weekly rate.

Finally Mr. Talk, I certainly agree with Messrs. Bowen and Palmland. While your originating post suggested that you simply needed a one way ride from the train station to KMCO as in simply to catch an early flight next morning. However if you contemplate "doing the attractions", the only reasonable and practical way to get about is rented auto.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A family member got a very good weekly car rental deal at West Palm Beach airport last week, Mr Norman, and also last November; it wasn't from Hertz but I can find out from whom. She also got a decent rate last March; but she told me she paid an arm and a leg last winter when she went Christmas week. Sounds like you are going to Florida the week of President's Day, which is why your rates are so high. Are you just getting the car for a couple of days? Because, frankly, especially if more than 2 days, what you are paying sure sounds pretty exorbitant to me. Maybe you need to shop around?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly, Mr. Norman, the only sensible thing to do is to fly into Washington Reagan (sorry, I'm not into codes) and get a Hertz for $66/day. Then shoot on down to Lorton for the Auto Train. You'll be in Palm Beach the next afternoon.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Always happy to use AT Mr. Palmland; as noted here in the past, I have had 17 voyages using such to date.

Lest we forget, DPM once did just what you have suggested, and I have suggested same here to Ms. Birdchop. However, that was back during 1972 when most auto rental agreements were comprised of time and mileage charges. As I recall his chronicle in TRAINS, he reported that there had to be a "mite bit' explaining to do when he returned the auto at Orlando - 900 miles away with some 75 more miles on the OD.

Ms. Sojourner could also benefit from DPM's experience; take any train to Wash where within Union Station, every major auto rental concern has a counter, and otherwise replicate DPM's odyssey.

As I've often noted here in the past, owing to the existing contractual agreement between Amtrak, as successor to the Estate of the Auto Train Corp, and CSX, passengers, save an emergency rising to the level of 9/11, cannot be handled on Auto Train without an auto.

Oh and Wash Reagan is IATA DCA; ICAO KDCA

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Talk -- I took a taxi from the Orlando Airport to the Winter Park AMTRAK station at the end of my 2002 trip, and the fare was about $50 -- of course, the Orlando station is a little closer to the airport than WPK. Have you checked into renting a car at the Orlando AMTRAK station? They have rentals available there, but I've never taken advantage of that, so I don't know anything about prices or what the procedures are to get a rental car.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page