RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I'm back

Author Topic: I'm back
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello fellow railfans. After a few years away from Amtraking I am finally back to taking the train. I have been reading through posts on this fourm and have been constantly visiting Trainweb. I am a major railfan and love calling Julie often for checking the status of the train.

Just a few minutes ago I booked a trip to Lamy New Mexico on Amtrak after being fed up with the airlines charging for luggage etc. I love how Amtra allows you to cancel or change your reservation up until the day of travel. Do airlines provide this? No.

I love how on Amtrak you are not subjected to the small cramped coach seats of the plane and how you can see the scenery from the lounge car. Heck I don't ever consider Amtrak coach when compared with a Boeing 747 in coach. The lounge car beats the small seat pitch when flying.

I cannot afford the sleeper with the way the economy is going right now but hopefully I will try one out one of thee days.

Amtrak has so many options and I love talking with the train crew and fellow passengers.

So if you need to get away from the long lines at the airport and want to take the train then Amtrak is the wya to go.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I call Julie alot when I'm planning a trip too.

My wife (who usually does not accompany me on train trips) has accused me of having an affair! She says "Everytime you call that Julie you go off for three or four days and say you're on a train trip. Yeahhhhh......right."

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That brought a chuckle, and jogged my memory about the golf fanatic who had an after-game affair one day. After he stumbled home five hours late, his wife questioned him, and he confessed to all. She said, "you lying SOB, you shot 36 holes, didn't you?!"
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My affair with Julie is when she reports the train status when you say "Get Details' and she says with her soothing voice "The latest report for train 3 was at 4:45 PM when it was between Albuquerque New Mexico and Gallup New Mexico"

BTW does anyone here know how I can meet or talk to Julie on the phone in person?

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Julie" is Julie Stinneford, and she is a professional voice talent. She is 45 years old and lives in Boston.

She goes by other names on voice-prompt systems (such as "Caitlin"). I have heard her when calling the Harrah's national reservation line, MBNA, and several others.

I'm not sure if she's married though. [Smile]

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's more on Ms. "Have voice, will travel"

It appears she sports some hardware on the third finger left hand.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page