RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Zephyr fares

Author Topic: Zephyr fares
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning to take two of our granddaughters from CHI to EMY next summer . Being somewhat at loose ends today I found myself on the Amtrak website. Surprised to see that the fare is the same price for June 15, Oct 15, and Jan 15. $145 for coach seat and $541 for economy bedroom. I expected the date 11 months out to have a cheaper fare and thought that all dates are priced exactly the same is somewhat unusual. Anyone think differently?
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems weird to me also. I'm not sure what the scoop is on that. Maybe someone here will know. Amtrak uses yield management software, so I would have thought that you would see different fares for those dates that are so far apart.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know about the Zephyr, but I have noticed that Amtrak is not putting their lowest roomette fares in 11 months in advance on the FL trains. The day they come on line they are already in the over $200/nite price range. The computer actually tells you you can get the lower price but when you phone or try to pay it "disappears." Very weird!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if I want to go today at 2 PM (45 minutes from now) I can go coach for $145 or pay $448 for the economy room.
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Demand pricing is apparently nailing the passenger who is booking "far out' because it has determined that he obviously must travel on that date. Why give it away?
Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I tried to book a Zephyr roomette for next July about 9 mths prior with AGR points, my first choice date for CHI to Sacramento had only 1 lower level roomette available. The next day there were plenty. Given that, it's still hard to guess when's the best time to book.

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Well, I checked a few other dates and found economy bedrooms ranging from $288-upper $600's. I can't see any rhyme or reason for what they're doing.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page