RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Icicle Station Delayed/Will open 9/09

Author Topic: Icicle Station Delayed/Will open 9/09
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Empire Builder was slated to stop in Leavenworth, Washington this past fall. The new station, in Leavenworth, is now scheduled to open and become an EB station stop in the fall of 2009. Has anyone been to Leavenworth? I always wanted to pay a visit but never had a chance.

http://wenatcheeworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080604/NEWS04/792082902

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ADA issues, I presume?

Anyone care to ask what happened to the new station at New Buffalo, MI to be located on the MC and replacing that presently on the PM?

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bite.

What ever happened to that new station "on the MC and replacing that presently on the PM?"

And since I'm kind'a slow, would you explain to me what I was asked to ask?

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leavenworth is a very attractive town in pseudo-Bavarian style, set among large pine trees on the east slope of the Cascades. I've been there several times. Seems like a good spot for an Amtrak stop, as there are ski areas nearby.

Don't know what the cause of the delay is.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify Mr. Zephyr, "on the existing Amtrak/Michigan Central route of the Wolverines and replacing that presently located on the CSX/Pere Marquette or otherwise the existing route of the Amtrak Pere Marquette".
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rresor:
Leavenworth is a very attractive town in pseudo-Bavarian style, set among large pine trees on the east slope of the Cascades. I've been there several times. Seems like a good spot for an Amtrak stop, as there are ski areas nearby.

Don't know what the cause of the delay is.

You have convinced me...I would really like to visit Leavenworth after the new station opens. Yes, the article doesn't say why the delay. Maybe they had some mudslides in addition to the Cascade mudslides which affected the Coast Starlight.

http://www.leavenworth.org/modules/pages/index.php?pageid=1

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The deadliest avalanche in U.S. history took place a short and scenic drive northwest of Leavenworth. The White Cascade by Gary Krist is an excellent book about the event. It reads like a novel. Here's the NY Times' review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/09/books/09book.html

The Great Northern Historical Society held their 2008 convention in the area (Wenatchee). There's plenty of rail stuff to see thereabouts.

One of the convention events was hiking the Iron Goat Trail. The trail is on the old GN right-of-way (where the avalanche took place). It's a great hiking trail. Information on the trail can be found at:

http://www.irongoat.org/

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This avalanche was also mentioned on the Extreme Trains show.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, GBN -- whatever DID happen to the proposed new AMTRAK station on the MC at New Buffalo to replace the old station on the PM?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Kimmel, apparently the ADA interests determined the facility would not be "compliant' (their "lobby" has raised the bar to the extent that a covered person will be able to board and alight, as well as move about, a train in the same manner as would an able bodied person), the project sponsors said 'no way; it will cost too much", so there the matter sits with an Amtrak "TBA" footnote in the applicable timetables.

ADA is sort of a "don't get me going" matter. Now I realize, and as the dozen or so here that know me face to face can affirm, I am able bodied and not "girth challenged'. I further realize that any passenger rail transit, save the "luxotrain" or two out there that are still hanging on, anywhere in the world is publicly funded, and disabled persons, save the one disability of blindness, do not receive any US Federal tax benefits arising from being such.

I'm all for elimination of reasonable access barriers such as sidewalk curbs at intersections and a reasonable number of preferred parking spaces at public access facilities. But to have an entire station platform hi-level rather than having an incline to a platform from which a train is wheelchair accessible, come on. The apparent concept that a disabled person should be able to wheel themselves to an on-board food service area when an Attendant could just as easily bring the food to the passenger is simply unreasonable.

At this rate, should there ever be another order for bi-level LD equipment (S-III's), they will be required to have an elevator in each car.

Possibly someone here covered by ADA holds different views, but these are simply mine that I have endeavored to present in the most mature and respectful manner that God has given me the power to do so.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, GBN -- based on the previous postings in this thread, I kinda figured that would be the story........
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page