RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Whoop Whoop Sound

Author Topic: The Whoop Whoop Sound
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I am standing next to the engine it makes this whoop whoop sound is this coming from the toilets or is this the engine letting off steam? Anyone here can give me info on this whoop whoop sound? Thanks
Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what sound you're talking about, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the electrical system. It's definitely not the toilet and it's not a pressure relief valve letting off steam. It's a device turning on and it does it automatically. Which device it is, I'm not entirely sure....I'll ask an engineer friend and see if he knows. I know that Amtrak's GE's and UP's GE's both make that sound.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A GE engine will make a "whoop" sound as the air compressor kicks on, but from the post it is not clear if the sound was coming from the engine or a car.
Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're right---it's the air compressor kicking in, not something electrical. Thanks.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep the "whoop" is the locomotive compressor startup. I've heard this on BNSF dash 9s as well, although it's not as loud as the Amtrak whoop.

I have a recording of the whoop for use on my HO scale P42s, as well as for use in the computer game Microsoft Train Sim.

Not sure if they do this anymore, but Superliners used to whine (heard from the outside) when a toilet flushed.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Oh yes, the Superliner toilets flushing still make the sound of a jet taking off. Cracks me up every time I hear it.
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick quiz: Why was opening a vestibule window to take a photograph an especially poor idea during the time of the original Superliner toilets?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Quick quiz: Why was opening a vestibule window to take a photograph an especially poor idea during the time of the original Superliner toilets?

Because, the toilets at that time were designed to "vent" when full by spraying the contents outside in a fine mist. This was supposed to take place only when the train was underway. This was not always the case, however. The valves would also freeze and become clogged during the winters that took place along many train routes, and, as a result, many toilets would fill up and then stop working. this would leave the train with nonfunctional toilet equipment, and, of course, the on board crew would have no way of correcting this situation. You better believe that this led to many passengers saying, "never again!" to Amtrak. There were a few trips in the late 1980s where this Amtrak passenger boarded and prayed that the train would have one of the old Santa Fe high-levels, as they would have the older style drop toilets which would not be subject to such failures. It would appear to be less hassle to reinstitute the older style "Drop" toilets that emptied directly on the tracks (disgusting as that sounds) .

This was before Amtrak instituted the current system.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A-plus, CG96!

Second part of the quiz:

Why did Amtrak have retention toilets designed into the Superliners instead of the old-reliable old-style drop chutes?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why retentions?

Was it because of that story about an unfortunate Florida senator who happened to be fishing under a rail bridge when...well you get the picture.

I so loved the old Hi-Level restrooms. The foot pedal sinks were great. And yes I remember holding the flush down to watch the tracks go by.

I clearly remember the odorous Superliners misters. On a private car trip many years ago (Cal Zephyr) we did not stay on the observation platform too long after the train started moving after a station stop. Seems the misters kicked in always after station stops. Interesting smells you'd get sitting out on the platform. Some were bad enough to keep you indoors for a while.

I thought the "jet" whine was related to the old misters. Guess not if they still whine.

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

I heard that Florida story as happening variously to a federal judge, a congressman and a senator, but this possibly may contain the truth:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE0DC123CF931A35757C0A966958260&n=Top/News/Business/Companies/Amtrak

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I never knew that about the misters. Interesting information, but man is that gross.
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Why did Amtrak have retention toilets designed into the Superliners instead of the old-reliable old-style drop chutes?

I've heard many a story about track workers being sprayed. It didn't even need to be "misted" since, at high speed, it kind of breaks up... Yet another reason to look away if you know that that train about to pass you doesn't have retention tanks.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the era of the drop chute there was a sign in the rest room(the ladies at least) that one should not flush while the train was in the station. For longer stops the doors to the toilet section were locked by the attendents.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Kindly flush the toilet after each use except when train is standing at a station"
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have another locomotive question-one with hopefully doesn't involve waste-disposal systems:

I've noticed that P42's make a "sputtering" sound, like short bursts of air being released, when they are idle. Even when the engine is shut off, the sputtering continues. What is the source of this sound?

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I think that is just the the pressure relief valve opening and releasing quick bursts of air.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page