RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Acela Express Meals?

Author Topic: Acela Express Meals?
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm planning on a day trip from NYP to PHL and may "splurge" on Acela Express one way.

I would imagine the dinner in first class would be better than the breakfast, however, does anyone have experience with the breakfast offerings?
Do they offer a decent warm breakfast meal?

Thanks for any advice.

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience is over one year old now, but if it still applies.....you had your choice of a continental or a full hot breakfast. The full breakfast was a frittata thing (?), breakfast potatoes, and a muffin. It came with juice and coffee. If you've ever been on a long-haul flight and travelled in the first class cabin, the food was identical to that. It's served on the same type of tray, same type of dishes, and same food quality. I thought it was pretty decent.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breakfast menu from just about, almost, exactly a year ago:FRUIT: fresh blueberries and strawberries topped with a refreshing orange foam.
ENTREES:southwest strata, cubed bread baked with a blend of green peppers and southwest seasonings, served with or without country pork sausage links
apple filled pancakes, apples and cinnamon rolled in fluffy pancakes served with or without country pork sausabe links
continental breakfast, choose between a fresh bagel or warmed cinnamon roll, cereal (Special K, Raisen Bran Crunch or hot oatmeal) with 2% milk, and yogurt(strawberry or peach)
"enjoy a freshly made bloody mary or scewdriver with your breakfast"
I opted for the Continental and passed on the booze. Bon apetit!
Best regatds,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They make a very good Bloody Mary. And I have two glasses to prove it. My breakfast two years ago was similar to what's been described above and lunch/dinner served between New York and Washington was very good, too. I seem to recall a seafood casserole.

Frank in cloudy and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for a meyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the confirmation on the breakfast and other meals on Acela. I am taking my trip next week and will look at my options for morning and evening Acela.
I have taken the Acela one other time and look forward to trying it again.

Oh... and I'm going to have to try that Bloody Mary:)

Andy

Posts: 120 | From: Arizona | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a meyer
Member # 4954

Rate Member
I completed my trip on Acela last week. The food was very good and the service excellent.
The omlette was small but tasty. The Veal dinner was tasty and filling.
Yes, the bloody marys were very good!!

I have posted some photos on my website.
http://web.mac.com/ameyer1/MyTrainTrips/Introduction.html

The Acela trip is linked at the bottom of the page.

If you click on the first photo and then use the right arrow key, the photos are larger than viewing the slideshow.

You will need reading glasses for the menu, but feel free to download the photos and you will get a file which you can manipulate if you wish.

Andy

cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very enjoyable report on the Acela and liked the baseball pages as well.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy--

Great pictures. They brought back good memories of my trip. The meal service looks very much the same. If you'd like to enjoy that veal at home I believe it's from Cuisine Solutions and most of their line can be found at Costco. I can also recommend the lamb shanks.

Frank in sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't see the new leather seats yet---thanks for the trip report and pictures.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNCMAXQ
Member # 4875

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNCMAXQ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there were leather seats in first class on my last trip from DC. I only got a peek into the first class car. Looks a little more like an airliner with leather seats I guess. Perhaps next time I will splurge and try traveling first class one way, though business class is quite comfortable too.
Posts: 17 | From: CT | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The leather seats were added in first class over the last 6 months. I think all the sets now have them.
Same seats just different covering.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page