RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Cross-Country (and then some)

Author Topic: Cross-Country (and then some)
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I haven't taken much in the way of trips recently, and I admit that I have been inactive on this board for a while. That will change in April, when I will take a trip from Slidell-Wash. DC, DC-Chicago, Chicago-Seattle, and Seattle-Portland, all in a bedroom, and using only AGR points.

I plan to return back to Seattle on the Cascades (never rode them before), spend a few days there, then head back to LA on the Coast Starlight.

I have a few questions:
I'm traveling from Slidell-DC on the Crescent to take advantage of traveling in 3 zones for the price of 2. However, I bought a coach ticket from NOL-Slidell. Has anyone done this before? Did they make you disembark at Slidell, only to reboard the sleeping car? I plan to speak to the conductor before boarding in NOL, and see if they will just let me ride in the sleeping car without transferring.

What is offered in Cascades business class these days? Is it just one drink and a paper? Is it worth it to upgrade?

Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biz Class on the Cascades is pretty nice. They give you a voucher that you can use in the Bistro, and I think it's for $4 or $5 (it ain't much, but it helps a little). I don't remember getting a newspaper, so I can't confirm that. The seating in Biz Class is 2+1, so if you're traveling solo you can get a seat by yourself. Some of the Cascades trains have been refurbished, and the Biz Class seats are leather (and from what I'm told, they are very comfy). They also show movies on the Cascades. It's not like it used to be in the Superliners, with the darn movie blaring throughout the car with speakers that sounded awful. Instead, you plug your headphones into a jack in the armrest (like on a plane). When the movie is not playing, the video screen displays a live map (using GPS) that shows where you are, and what station is next.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul,
You didn't mention the dates of your travel, but if you play around with the on-line reservations @ Amtrak, it looks like the price of a room from NOL to WAS is the same price as SDL to WAS, or in some cases less expensive! Go figure!

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulB
Member # 4258

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaulB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to book it from SDL-WAS in order to take advantage of traveling through 3 AGR zones for the price of 2.
Posts: 286 | From: Knee deep in the retention tank | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have travelled several times b/t Seattle and Portland (all in Business Class) on the beautiful Cascades and still think it among the finest in the Amtrak fleet. These pics from my last trip out west:

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/pictures/Ad_3255_10.jpg

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wayne72145
Member # 4503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for wayne72145     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is always worth it to up grade on the Cascades. The train is often full and business class is much more comfortable for the few dollars it cost.
Posts: 139 | From: myrtle creek oregon | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page