RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Complaints

Author Topic: Amtrak Complaints
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have experience with this site?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/travel/amtrak.html

I react to this in much the same manner as I did to the Trip Advisor thread Mr. Smith brought to our attention last month trashing the very Holiday Inn in Boca Raton at which both my Sister and I were staying. We were reading the material using their lobby computer.

Quite simply, and I'm certain my considerably more discerning Sister would concur, I found my stay at that property to be satisfactory in material respects.

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that the sites I visit such as here are considerably more mature than the "average'. Possibly some of the complaints at the linked site have "credibility", but judging from the trashing the hotel took which, again, to me was simply without foundation, people at large think the internet is somewhere to go and say whatever, mostly negative, you want; who cares about consequences. Accordingly, I must question any and all reports at that site, just as in the same manner we were advised by both Messrs. Kisor and Resor to take Trip Advisor with "a grain of salt".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first lesson you should learn about the Internet is *not* to believe everything you read.

I do use Trip Advisor, both as a contributor and as a user. If there are nine very positive reviews and one negative review then you can assume that it was a "once off". However, if there are nine bad reports and one good then you can assume it's not a great hotel.

Looking at the reviews of this particular hotel, reviews range from middling to good, and ranks below average for the area. Even ignoring the very negative reviews, there are enough middling reviews where people are saying "well, it's ok, but nothing special". I would read that as a set of fairly balanced reviews and would probably look elsewhere for a place to stay.

But that's just my opinion, and that is what Trip Advisor is all about.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've done said my piece on TripAdvisor, but I'll say it again: TripAdvisor can be very valuable when used sensibly, as Geoff points out.

As for Consumeraffairs.com, it seems to be set up as a magnet for the disaffected.

Additionally, in using any consumer site we need to remember that the unhappy are much more prone to post a message than the happy. Most people whose expectations are met generally do not feel the need to say so.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with the above. Living outwith the US I do look to Tripadvisor for advice and also make a point of contributing positive as well as critical reviews. On looking for a hotel in Manhattan I was pleased to see a well known chain represented and having had very positive experiences with the group reserved a room. I then looked at Tripadvisor and found a fair number of very negative reviews, as well as positive ones. I was somewhat disheartened but felt the company would be unlkely to allow standards to slip very low. I was right. Yes the rooms are smaller than in Colorado, California or Chicago,and there were no beautiful views from the window but what do you expect from a high-rise building in a densely inhabited city? The room was clean and well serviced. The breakfast, included in price, was excellent, the best we had had from this chain. The only negative was rather surly font of house staff. I commented on this and when we returned last year there was a marked improvement in this area too.
One does wonder about the integrity of some of the people who comment on the internet.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've already said my piece about TripAdvisor reviews. Let me just add one thing. There is an excellent science fiction novel by Vernor Vinge titled "A Fire Upon the Deep". A refrain running through the book (which features a spacefaring version of the Internet) is "everything you see on the Web is a lie". Not a bad maxim, I think.
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy...if we get into a "what is truth" thread, I'm outa here! I figure someday the Snopes site will be taken over by the Wikipedia folks, and then where will we be?

I use review sites, but I try to use more than one, and piece together general trends instead of relying on individual reviews. Frankly, I can believe many of the stories at consumer affairs, but from reading other sites (such as this) and my own experiences, know that Amtak is not 100% represented by such.

After reading the complaints, I would hope most people spend a little more time prepping for any trips themselves, and not relying on "staff" to cater to all their wants. As to unruly passengers, that reflects our society in general these days, but Amtak does need to address it consistently.

Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What might be fun would be to go onto one of these sites and complain about the quality of the reviewers: inane comments, unrealistic expectations, childish, and bad spelling to boot!
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that idea TBlack! [Smile]
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contributors to sites like Trip Advisor generally fall into 3 categories.

Travelers who give honest evaluations - both good and bad and provide accurate descriptions of their experiences.

Travelers who have unrealistic expectations or have not properly researched where they are going or what they are about to experience.

Travelers who live to complain. If they won the opportunity to stay free in the Taj Mahal they would proclaim it drafty. A meal at the best of resturants prepared by a world reknowned chef would be deemed "too salty". ------ we all know them. The Internet gives them a place to make their thoughts known to all.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Dee! A drafty Taj Mahal and a salty 5 star meal. Very true, very true.....
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the trouble with this consumer affairs site, is that with Amtrak complaints nobody had a positive report. I have had a lot of issues with Amtrak over the many years I have been riding their trains and have complained many times over poor service. But not every train nor every on-board staff member has been miserable and rude toward the passenger. I have had both good and poor experiences riding Amtrak, too bad these reviewers are not a little more objective in their criticisms.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Additionally, in using any consumer site we need to remember that the unhappy are much more prone to post a message than the happy. Most people whose expectations are met generally do not feel the need to say so.

Very true.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page