RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rail Scanner

Author Topic: Rail Scanner
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to buy a portable rail scanner that will pick up the frequencies for the SW Cheif, Coast Starlight and San Joaqinn Trains. I have the scanner frequencies printed out from On Track Online.

Can you recommend a good scanner that is not too expensive but does the purpose. I was trying to look for the Uniden/ Radio Shack Scanner to no avail. I want a handheld scanner.

Does Frys Electronics have one. I want one that can pick up all channels from Police Fire Medical Rail Marine etc. with good reception.

With the switch over to digital will this hinder the reception? I want to be able to listen to the rail journey on my trip next week.

Please list the brands around $100 dollars that are handheld and are available at a retail store. Thanks. Please list the power adapter/batteries I need.

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JONATHON
Member # 2899

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JONATHON   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frys will have what your looking for, I recomend a Uniden Brand Scanner

--------------------
JONATHON D. ORTIZ

My MySpace

CoastStarlight@Gmail.com

Amtrak Pages WebSite

Posts: 989 | From: DIAMOND BAR CA. U.S. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radio Shack Scanners Looks like their least expensive handheld scanner that covers the railroad frequencies is the Uniden BC72XLT

I have had a Radio Shack Pro-94 scanner for 8 years and it has been very reliable.

If you're not familiar with scanners, bear in mind that it will take some time to learn how to use and program it. Don't buy it the day before your trip.

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
travelplus
Member # 3679

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for travelplus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Toy Thank you very much. Actually this Uniden has the features I was looking for within my price range. Of course I would not buy it the day before my trip as with other technologies. I have the radio frequencies printed out from OTOL and I was wondering how can I program the rail channels like they do onboard. For instance channel 1 is 101.80 2 is 101,81 etc and for it to scan between the two before the switchover.

Thanks

Posts: 259 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
travelplus,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that Channel 1 is 101.80, etc......The railroad frequencies are not in the "101" band--they are all in the 160's. Do you have the correct list of AAR (American Association of Railroads) frequencies directory listing everything from Channel 2 through Channel 97? A lot of railfans will program their scanner so that each channel on their scanner matches up with each channel in the AAR list. Just as a short example, you would have something like this:

Channel 2 on your scanner should be 159.810 (this is Channel 2 on the portable radios that the railroad employees carry)

Channel 3 on your scanner should be 159.930 (this is Channel 3 on the portable radios that the railroad employees carry)

Channel 4 on your scanner should be 160.050 (this is Channel 4 on the portable radios that the railroad employees carry)

And just continue on like that until you reach Channel 97. That way, you can look at your Altamont Press (or whatever you are using as a reference), and when you are on your Amtrak train and you hear them say, "Roll over to 56"---you can change your scanner to channel 56. Make sense?

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to admit ignorance, but when it comes to scanners I score less than 1 out of 10. A number of years ago my bride purchased a top of the line Radio Shack scanner for me. After reading the directions I felt I had been reading Greek...and I don't understand that classical language. I asked a knowledgable friend how to program the unit. He showed me and ten minutes later I was where I started. I went to Radio Shack, had the salesman give me a lesson in programing and et voila...I still can't program it. If anyone knows of a "Progaming scanners for Dummies" please let me know.
Best regards,
Rodger...otherwise relatively literate.

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Travelplus, 101.80 mhz you note is within the spectrum assigned to commercial FM radio stations - 88 to 108mhz. Immediately above that, are aviation NAVAIDS (ILS, VOR, NDB), which go to about 118mhz.

But rather than my guessings, maybe someone can locate a listing of how the radio spectrum is assigned.

Finally, before I display too much ignorance on this subject, a channel is simply a pre-set selection of a specific radio frequency.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_frequency
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radio frequencies are assigned by means of a coordinated and cooperative agreement between both government and private entities and organizations.

Sometimes the frequency range assigned has to do with the type of propagation or distance requiement for a certan interest. Within the VHF UHF radio spectrum, the propagation (or maximum distance you can successfully make a contact) will decrease as you go up in frequency. Higher VHF and UHF frequencies make use of repeaters to amplify and retransmit signals. Some commercial outfits use frequencies up in the 800 mHz area, and they must use many repeaters to get propagation.

As an amateur radio operator, I can't help getting in a plug for amateur radio. I hope to encourage people to consider getting an amateur radio license and join the ranks of the "ham fraternity". You can get an entry-level ham license (technician license) by taking a 35 question exam..with no Morse code requirements. A hand-held radio transceiver, lets say for the 2 meter band, now can be had for $100-$150. They should cover the 160 mHz train frequencies as well as 2 meters (144 to 148 mHz). I take along a 2 meter "handy-talky" whenever I book an Amtrak sleeper..and have a lot of fun not only listening to the RR frequencies, but also working 2 meter repeaters along the way.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've thought about getting my technician license, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Back when I was a kid, morse code was a requirement for a basic license (I can't remember the exact title of the basic license though). Question: Is morse code still used in ham, or is it completely gone now that the requirement to learn it is no longer there?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
I've thought about getting my technician license, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Back when I was a kid, morse code was a requirement for a basic license (I can't remember the exact title of the basic license though). Question: Is morse code still used in ham, or is it completely gone now that the requirement to learn it is no longer there?

Mr. Smitty: Up until a few years ago, you needed to pass a 5 word-per-minute Morse code receive test to get, at least, the Extra (top) amateur license. Nowadays, they have completely eliminated the code requirement. I have mixed feelings about this. I like to work code (CW) in the evening for DX and for obtaining QSL cards. I think it is easier to work DX with code, rather than voice (phone) if you have a modest antenna and no additional power.

There are 3 licenses classes...technician, general, and extra.

Here is an ARRL site where you can plug in your zip code and get informtion on the nearest exam site:

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

Also, if you get interested in a ham license you can contact your local ham club or e-mail the local Pacific Division (of ARRL) rep. If you don't have that info or can't get a copy of QST magazine, let me know.

73's

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info, Richard!
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by travelplus:
Mr. Toy Thank you very much. Actually this Uniden has the features I was looking for within my price range. Of course I would not buy it the day before my trip as with other technologies. I have the radio frequencies printed out from OTOL and I was wondering how can I program the rail channels like they do onboard. For instance channel 1 is 101.80 2 is 101,81 etc and for it to scan between the two before the switchover.

Thanks

I don't know the particulars on your chosen scanner model, so I can't tell you how to program it. But if it is anything like mine, the process is far from intuitive. You'll need to thoroughly study the manual before attempting anything.

My scanner has 1,000 channels that can be programmed. They are arranged in two "Groups" of 500 channels each, called Group A and Group B. One can scan through either A or B but not both at the same time.

Each Group is further subdivided into ten "Banks" of 50 channels each. Each bank can be turned on and off at will, so you can listen only to some banks or all at the same time.

For example, I've assigned each Bank a different purpose. On Bank 1 I only program local air traffic control, Bank 2 is railroads, Bank 3 is marine radio, Banks 4 & 5 are Monterey and Seaside police and fire, Bank 6 is ambulance services, banks 7 & 8 are Carmel and Pacific Grove police and fire, Bank 9 is county sheriff, highway patrol and rural fire, and Bank 10 has PG&E to listen to during power failures.

If I only want to listen to local police, I'll turn off banks 1-3, and 10.

The procedure for programming a channel is as follows:
1. Press "Man"
2. Using the numerical keypad enter the number of the channel you wish to program (somewhere between 1 and 500)
3. Press "Prog"
4. Using the numerical keypad enter the frequency.
5. Press "E" to complete.

Helpful hints
Before programming anything, decide how you want to arrange things. Write your plan on paper.

Write down the channel numbers in a column, then fill in the frequencies you want to program in each channel. Write a brief description of each frequency.

Create a spreadsheet to record how you programmed each channel, listing group number, bank number, channel number, frequency, type (air, rail, police, etc), Agency (Amtrak, UP, BNSF, FAA, coast guard, city fire dept, etc) and location (for railroad frequencies, use milepost designations)

Once you've programmed everything, you will completely forget the procedure within two weeks. That's where the spreadsheet comes in handy.

Good luck

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page