RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Surf, CA (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Surf, CA
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So for you Americans is a scone something that sounds like "stone" or like "gone"? For us, it depends on where you're from - regional variations.

Yes, Keighly is rather odd. But then so is Utica (pronounced Ethica I believe). So tell me how Nacogdoches, TX is pronounced?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Realizing that some were left hanging after seeing my list of MA towns, I will now try to give the common pronunciations.

Billerica: bill-rick'-a
Cotuit: kuh-too'-it
Haverhill: hay'-ver-ul or even hay'-vrl
Leominster: le'-mun-ster or le'-mn-ster (as in the fruit lemon)
Oakham: oak-ham (even emphasis on each syllable)
Petersham: pee'-ters-ham or pee'-ters-hm
(there are people who say peeter-sham) they're wrong!!
Tewksbury: tooks'-bry (double o as in look)
Waban: wa'-bn (a as in ball)
Woburn: woo'-burn (double o as in ooze)

I'm open to corrections by other MA residents.
I would have used the schwa in some cases, but I don't know off hand how to make it on my Mac.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff M:
So tell me how Nacogdoches, TX is pronounced?

Na coe doe' cheese, more or less.

Then there is Natchitoches, Louisiana which is pronounced Na coe tish'

Or, how about Arkansas, which is, by decision of the state legislature pronounced Are can saw'

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely there once was a Nacogdoches & Natchitoches Railroad? That would have looked impressive on the side of a boxcar, but people would have ended up calling it the "N & N."
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moving a little to the north and east, Cleveland area to be specific: I have yet to hear a definitive correct pronunciation for "Cuyahoga".

ETA: Henry, I'll bet it wouldn't have been long before folks started calling it the "Ninny"....

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how much further off topic can we get? What about the word "Caribbean?" Is it "care-i-BEE-an" or "ca-RIB-bee-an?" I prefer the first pronunciation.

Meanwhile, it should be a nice day in Surf, CA today (getting back on topic) -- I hope the Surfliners are on time!!

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borrowing and editing some posts above:
Billericay: (note Y on end) biller-rik-ee
Leominster: le'-mn-ster
Oakham: oak-um (even emphasis on each syllable)
Tewksbury: tewks'-bry (as in ewe, not as in look!)
Woburn: woe-burn
Carribean: carry-BEE-an

Guessing at how I would pronounce this:
Cuyahoga - Kie-ya-hoe-gah (Kie as in die)

Possibly some of the easist place names to pronounce are in the Philippines. Pronounce each vowel seperately, each vowel sounds the same regardless of adjacent letters, and stress the second syllable - in a nutshell, but of course there are some exceptions.

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff and RRRich,

Some people here do pronounce Tewksbury the way you have it. The pronunciation I gave was given to me by a former resident of the town. Oakham is never pronounced your way over here, as far as I know. And I concur with your version of Cuyahoga, with accent on third syllable.

I too prefer to accent Caribbean on the third syllable.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, my ex-husband was from Colusa, north of Sacramento, and it was "amands" all the way.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole problem is that English has such a mish-mash of ancestries, both Germanic and Latin based, and then has so many borrowed words, and then you have the American and the British versions, there are more exceptional cases than rule following cases. And to the confoundment of certain others, English in either or both versions has become the language of convenience for international business.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vicki
Member # 3410

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vicki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a town named Utica not far from where I live and it's pronounced YOU ti ka
Posts: 149 | From: Joliet, IL USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checking in from Buenos Aires. Our hotel is the Elevage. It's given the French pronunciation not the Spanish.

I did spot a big sign saying that "Santa Barbara Outfitters" will be opening soon at the swank Mall down the street from us.

And, yes, the steaks are as good as they say and as inexpensive!

And very drinkable wines (mostly Malbecs) are no more than US$4.00 a bottle.

Frank "Your Man in Buenos Aires".

P.S. The hotel has free wi-fi which is generally pretty fast.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Ah, Argentinian steaks - the best in the world! I went there myself a few years ago and can concur with the quality and inexpensiveness of them. None of this "carved onto a tray and into the supermarket while still warm" rubbish but proper meat that has been hung for 2 months or more. Just a butter knife will do, no steak knife required. I've not eaten an ordinary steak since. Sorry, salivating a bit there.

So how's the weather, Frank?

Geoff M.

--------------------
Geoff M.

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff M:
Ah, Argentinian steaks -the best in the world

I guess you never had a corn fed Nebraska USDA Prime 12oz Sirloin medium rare in the Dome Diner of the City of Los Angeles. [Wink]

That is the best steak in the world, and the same at the Golden Ox here in Kansas City is the close second [Smile]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was once corrected by an official from the town of Kissimmee Florida that it should be pronouced KuhSIMee and not KISSamee as I had done. She then said that it could be pronounced KuhSIMmee by day and KISSamee by night. A delighful compromse I thought.

P.S. to Geoff M. In Canada we (usually) pronounce scone as in gone not stone.

Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff--

Weather has been beautiful. Mostly in the low 70's and sunny with a light breeze.

We went to an Estancia about an hour outside the city today for more steak, chicken and sausages all cooked over a hardwood fire. Free flowing wine and beer made for a very entertaining afternoon.

We board the ship on Sunday but don't sail until Monday at 6PM so will have an "extra" day.

The Retiro train station is a couple of blocks from here but I have yet to get over there or to ride the "Subte", the subway. They are very proud that they had the first subway system in Latin America.

Frank in still warm BA.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page