RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Big rail plans for Central Florida

Author Topic: Big rail plans for Central Florida
Floridian
Member # 8304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floridian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently visions of truck-loads of stimulus bucks are dancing in the heads of transportation planners nowadays. The following article appeared in last week's issue of a community paper, The Laker, with the headline "Planner: Mass transit and light rail are needed in Pasco County".
Link: The Laker

The Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Area is calling for 135 miles of short distance rail, 107 miles of long distance rail and 449 miles of bus service by the year 2050. Unfortunately I'll be 104 years old by that time, but for younger folks it will be a "good thing", if they actually get off their duffs and do it.

Had they started on this 35 years ago when the first gas crisis began, it would be almost finished by now. A year or so ago there was talk of a high speed rail between Tampa and Orlando, but that was shot down by a potesting public and I haven't heard anything about it since. Actually talk of rail following the I-4 corridor has been going on for years and years with no action.

There is a CSX track that runs up from Lakeland through Zephyrhills and Dade City and then on north to Gainesville and Jacksonville, that I think the Palmetto used to travel on. The train stations at Zephyrhills and Dade City, both historical buildings, are now museums. The closest Amtrak station now is in Lakeland, although you can catch an Am-Bus in Dade City and ride 5+ hours to Jacksonville to catch the Meteor.

All in all it certainly would be nice to have short and long distance rail available locally, but I certainly won't be holding my breath.

Posts: 20 | From: Zephyrhills, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you may or may not get all of that, but the Orlando commuter rail does seem to be a done deal.

I would like someone to explain one thing, though. Paula Dockery has been trying to delay the project, alleging that "54 trains a day" would be diverted through Lakeland, FL as a result.

First, where on Earth would CSX find 54 trains a day? Second, if I'm not mistaken the two lines (former SAL and former ACL) join at Lakeland, so wouldn't any trains diverted from the "A" line already be going through Lakeland?

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paula Dockery is a pro-rail, anti-CSX legislator who has opposed the sweetheart deal this is for CSX from the start. The "54 trains a day" also affects Ocala, but it is admittedly a gross inaccuracy, especially considering the state of the economy right now.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trains down the A-Line through Orlando bound for Plam Beach to Miami would not go through Lakeland. They would turn south at Auburndale. If these trains were placed on the S-Line, they would go through Lakeland since the former SAL main between Coleman and Auburndale has been abandoned.

Yes, the number of trains mentioned is rediculous.

I do not understand how Paula Dockery can be called pro-rail. She was pro the Orlando-Tampa high speed line, but so far as I could tell that was only because it went through Lakeland and she (or her husband) saw it as a money thing for themselves or their town. By the time the high speed rail was killed it had become such a messed up political football it was a mercy killing for the people of Florida to get rid of it.

The "sweetheart deal" issues appear to be the essentially standard division of liability that is in most commuter agreements that was opposed by the trial lawyers as it kept them from sourcing some of their favorite "dep pockets".

Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Marriott Courtyard Roswell GA--

I again wish to point out to the forum that Florida passenger rail initiatives can only move forth county by county as existing law calls for each county to impose a dedicated excise tax to fund the initiative.

Such law is wise in that it means the sponsoring agency need not go hat in hand to Tallahassee beging for funds as does Amtrak go the "The Hill" each year, but it certainly impedes any region wide planning.

Because Martin County will not impose an excise tax (Sales Tax) to fund an expansion of Tri Rail to serve Jupiter and Stuart, any such expansion to the North is blocked.

Sun Rail (Orlando) has only Orange and Osceola Counties aboard limiting it only to a Sanford-Kissimmee service plan.

With Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsboro Counties plus others that do not come to mind, any Tampa Bay initiative will be hard pressed to move forth, for in order to have it be any kind of effective regional mass transit system, all of the counties in the region must be on board with imposition of excise taxes to fund the system.

Speaking of mass transit, member Bill Haithcoat is to join me here from Breakfast, however his auto is RIP and he presently relies on MARTA to get him about Atlanta. I'll be soon off to the North Point station to collect him.

But somehow, I think the universe of those who "can get along without a car" is quite limited and often come to forums such as here, and maybe some sponosring "green" interests. I know for myself I couldn't get along without mine.

Posts: 9980 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some people who for physical or financial reasons are unable to own and/or operate a car. In our present society they are less than third-class citizens. Is it not worthwhile, as we are considering the "rights" of every living creature from the snail darter on up, to maintain an alternative transportation system for the use of those who are limited by necessity as well as by choice?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Marriott Fairfield Inn Marion IL

Mr. Haithcoat is aware of this topic; perhaps he will choose to comment here regarding getting along without owning an auto in a major city not overly reknowned for its mass transit - and reknowned for having the "world's worst drivers".

Posts: 9980 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the original topic, looks like the deal may go through over the objections of Dockery:

http://www.ocala.com/article/20090330/ARTICLES/903301006

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Visions of Stimulus Dollars means they will build more roads because there "shovel ready" then they will do a half-a#$ job on a rail line. I think the only type of passanger train service can succeed when they have their own designated tracks. Politicians have to make hard choices not lets do a bad job of both. The current admin is now the owners of GM and they will try to pass Cap and Trade? they commpete with themselves and as always fail.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Floridian
Member # 8304

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floridian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing the article, Ocala Mike.

I consulted the National Atlas.gov website to see if there was any existing east-west track in Pasco County and as I suspected, there ain't any! So, TBARTA's talk of light, long-distance or any other kind of rail for Pasco is just that - talk.

The area between Lakeland and Orlando/East Coast has quite a bit (for Florida) of existing track, so that area has the best chance for developing passenger rail transportation.

Posts: 20 | From: Zephyrhills, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page